Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2017 8:46:54 AM EDT
I'm flying in to NYC from Salt Lake City to meet my cousin who is coming from Spain for her first time.

We're trying to come up with a list of things to see and do in about 4 days as I think the last day/night we might drive or take a train (if possible ) to Boston.

Thank you for any advice.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Must visit the Hispanic Society Museum located in upper Manhattan.

Absolutely stunning collection of Spanish Art.

I was just was in Madrid and saw their traveling exhibit at the Prado.

Amazing is all I can say.

Other Art type destination4 that are dear to me are the Frick collection, Carnegie library as well as the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Eating is always fun as well, it's been a while since I lived in NYC, thw one variable that doesn't seem to change is Katz's Deli and the Kosher candy store down the street. Dad used to take us there once or twice a month in the 60's.

For a beautiful and free excursion, I recommend the Staten. Island Ferry.

Very nice, quick trip with wonderful views of Manhattan sky-line.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay in NYC there is way to much to cover in 4 days. Go to the highline off the west side highway there is an entrance around old 12th street in the old meat packing district. Make sure you walk it! There are plenty of places to eat in that area as well. Then head over to the lower Eastside and walk around you will find plenty of things to do. You can work your way towards South Street Sea Port and maybe take in Chinatown. As you move around Chinatown you may stumble into little Italy or what's left of it. Most of the good places to eat are gone now but the streets are filled with history and a few restaurants run by Albanians who speak Italian. From there head to mid-town and the theater district etc. etc. Find a good Uber driver head up to Arthur Ave for more eats then head over to the Bronx Zoo.

Going to Boston would consume more time then you really have.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:43:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd avoid Boston. You don't have a ton of time for that. It's about a 3-4 hour ride depending on traffic.

There's a lot to do in the city. Central Park is always fun, even a small zoo in there. Plenty of shopping. Head downtown to the seaport. I'm not a big museum guy so I can't help you too much there. If you're into naval/Air Force history the intrepid is always open. Or the museum of natural history (you can spend a full day there and still not see it all...). There's always the Empire State Building, Times Square, Rockefeller center and countless other small parks.

Always plenty of shopping and eating. I kinda just try new places every time I'm in there so again sorry not much help. You can always head out to bars. The barcade is fun, they have craft beers and vintage arcade machines.

If you're willing to travel Coney Island has the amusement park and beach/boardwalk. Been a while since I was there, so it might not be the nicest after dark. Long Island also has some of the best beaches around. You can just take the LIRR out of penn station/Madison square garden. They started the buses to jones beach again. If you rent a car there's always Robert Moses. Take the train to Babylon for some more drinking/bar hopping. You have wine places like barique, dancing at Lilly's, craft beers at the villager, etc. OR head to Freeport and go down to the nautical mile. Lots of bars and restaurants on the boardwalk. Good seafood there too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the last day/night we might drive or take a train (if possible ) to Boston.
View Quote
Reminds me of a time some of my mothers cousins came over from Germany. One of the things they wanted to do was drive over and see Kansas as they had heard about it. They did not realize how spread out things are here.

From NYC it is not a short trip. Either by train or car. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reminds me of a time some of my mothers cousins came over from Germany. One of the things they wanted to do was drive over and see Kansas as they had heard about it. They did not realize how spread out things are here.

From NYC it is not a short trip. Either by train or car. 
View Quote
Can't make that up way to funny its the dam truth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top