Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 2:36:01 PM EDT
Whats the deal with these in NY?
Standard 12ga and 26.5mm flares are legal and required for certain size watercraft, but what about 37mm rounds?
...Not asking about less-lethal or any other type of DD rounds, I know these are verboten.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They're just flares, no special regulations I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're just flares, no special regulations I'm aware of.
View Quote
Is the same true for pyrotechnic rounds? Or smoke?
I know it should be, but NY just loves to regulate and ban.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Only exempt flares are USCG approved signaling devices.  Otherwise it's a firework, iirc
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on articles like these (from a million years ago) the issue in NY is the flare pistol. NY considers it a firearm as NY defines it. The only rounds you'd be allowed to shoot would be the flares as a signal device, and those are illegal to shoot unless you're actually in distress. So the only purpose of having one would be for the coolness factor, not that you could use it. :\ Yay NY.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/07/sports/laws-on-flare-pistol-a-conflict-in-boating.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
hahah... you think Il deuce would you allow to own and use anything... hahaha you cant even own firecrackers..

It is when you live in the nanny state.. You have zero rights and told what to do..
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:21:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Based on articles like these (from a million years ago) the issue in NY is the flare pistol. NY considers it a firearm as NY defines it. The only rounds you'd be allowed to shoot would be the flares as a signal device, and those are illegal to shoot unless you're actually in distress. So the only purpose of having one would be for the coolness factor, not that you could use it. :\ Yay NY.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/07/sports/laws-on-flare-pistol-a-conflict-in-boating.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, pretty much what I figured. I came across an old steel & walnut tru-flite launcher that was too neat & too cheap to pass on awhile ago.
Guess if I buy a boat I'll be hauling the heaviest flare gun imaginable, or I'll just wait till I move to a free state to enjoy it.

Quoted:
hahah... you think Il deuce would you allow to own and use anything... hahaha you cant even own firecrackers..

It is when you live in the nanny state.. You have zero rights and told what to do..
Not very helpful there... but you know that.

Also, you shouldn't throw stones. Don't you guys in NC have to show your state-issued Permit, or a purchase order before you can legally be approved to buy a handgun from a private seller? That's UBC-lite, and one step away from nics checks for all purchases.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Throw stones.. oh yes I can... Until i sell my house in Hudson Valley ill keep throwing them  

So i have the great privileged of recertifying my Il Deuce pistol permit ..Im waiting for NYSP is going to figure out my NC driver Lic.. though..

Yea the pistol coupon is a PIA.. but you can get several at one time..

unless you get your CCW oh btw it only takes two weeks  to get your CCW after you take the safety class.. Than you have no NICS for the next five years.

Not like Il Deuce over a year now to get a CCW and oh yea still have to do NICS check on every purchase.

I dread every time i have to drive back up there. The whole state is depressing and I do feel for the people behind the lines.. but i bite the bullet and moved.

Freedom is more important to me than that shite hole..liberal contained area..
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
cviss, how do you like NC apart from the gun related matters? Which area did you move to, and any reason why it's not great? A move to NC is always on the back burner for me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
cviss, how do you like NC apart from the gun related matters? Which area did you move to, and any reason why it's not great? A move to NC is always on the back burner for me.
View Quote
hoodfu let me give you the complete base line. I was born and raised in NY and lived there until last June.. I hit 46 years living in NY and just had enough along with my wife.

Back in 2010 my wife and I started to look for places where we might wanted to live.. Our three kids were getting older and would be out of High School by 2015.

We had no no clue were we wanted to live after NY so my wife suggested southern NJ.. both our parents live there i spent the summers on the jersey shore.. i told her flat out no. Between the gun laws, taxes and really no alot to do during the winter i ruled it out..

We looked at PA and it was very promising we saw how PA reinvested the money you gave the state for permits etc.. AKA kayaking permits etc. We started to go across the border into Pike county mostly to kayak and fish. I saw how nice the state parks were kept and the gun laws were very good along with work looked promising.

The winters did us in about moving to PA the coldness started to bother both myself and my wife along with the governor switching to a liberal we were done with PA and i see how the taxes have shot up overnight..

My youngest son did boot camp in Fort Benning Ga.. We went down in Sept of 2015 to see him graduate. My wife and I fell in love with the Columbus area. The river was awesome and the town was starting to turn around.. So my wife and I decided to take  another trip to western Ga and visit the Jasper area.. it was nice reminded me of Poughkeepise area in the early 70's very small and quiet place.. We went up to the northern tip of Ga and ended up by the 4 day of our trip back in Fort Benning again.. This was in the October time frame. My son did his ATI in Fort Gordon so we were spent some more time in the eastern part of GA.. spent another 4 days from Athens to Augusta seeing different areas.. Athens was pretty small and flat good horse country but that was about it.. Augusta reminded us of being in NY and ruled it out due to people being rude. (NY attitude).

So August of 2016 our goal was to move to columbus ga (Fort Benning) area but my wife ended up landing a job making $10,000 more than she was making in NYS in fort Myers fla. and this was in May timeframe of 2016.. We said to each other lets try it we have nothing to lose.. All three of my kids were done High school and one moved out with his girlfriend in Jan of 2016 which just left my oldest and youngest at my house.

My wife gave her two weeks noticed at her job in NY we packed our jeep (2 door wrangler) and to moved fort Myers with just what we could fit in the jeep. By luck we found a place to live due a neighbor of us having a friend that lived down there for 30 years. We moved in, unpacked what little we had and my wife started work 2 days after being down there.. With my job as long as i have a phone and internet i can work any where.. I'm very lucky.

All I'll say its Hot and Humid in FLA.. Just like in good morning Vietnam. He had it right.. its hot period. I like the coolness much better always have and i died the 1st 3 months of being there.. i lost 20 lbs just due to sweat and thats no lie.. Hunting season started July 31st down there. Between being told to beware of the panthers stalking you in the woods to snakes and do i mean snakes.. Snakes are ever where and I hate snakes.. The weather opening day was 98 degrees and 98% humidity i chose not to hunt.  Shooting was nice but crowed there was a nice state range about 45 min north of where we lived.. Many indoor ranges and they are all crowed everyone shoots down there.

My wife lasted 6 weeks in fort myers store before being transferred to Naples Fla about a 45 min drive from where we lived.

There are all age groups in FLA from very young to very old and all do the same thing Drink and drink oh yea did i mention they drink a lot.  One of two factors on why we only listed 9 months down there. The other was the heat and humidity.  Fla was not for us and wife gave her 4 week notice Dec 31st.

During the time we lived in FLA i drove back and forth to our house about 11 times. I own an excursion also and moved more and more stuff down every time i went.. 22 hour drive one way gets old after a while.

On the way back to forth to NY I would stay in NC overnight. I have friend that i new since i was growing up that lived in the Jacksonville area for 20 years.. So I would find a local hotel to stay out over night and venture out with her and hubby when he was not deployed.  Really liked the area in Jacksonville.. Reminded me of Poughkeepise in the early 70's/80's were people are very polite and very diverse.  The weather seemed nice and its only 20 miles from the coast. So it had the Cape May/Stone Harbor NJ feel to it.

I convinced my wife lets try here its only 10 hours from my house in NY and only 8.5 hours from her parents house in Southern Jersey. We started to search for apartments  in the jacksonville area and i found 5 that looked pretty new and nice.. Wife and I drove up one friday to look at them and the 1st place we saw she fell in love with.. Two bedroom with large pool, a pool table, gas grills and charcoal grills, weight room. fire place inside where the pool table was plus two outside. She looked at the apartment and said we will take it. Never got to look at the other 4 even though she told me on the way up we will look at all the places before we decided. It was really a blessing in disguise for us. No security deposit and we were able to move in Feb 1st which was the day after my wife's last day of work in FLA. Everything just fell into place for us. 1st time ever that ever happened to us so maybe it was a sign we are suppose to be in this area who knows..

I do travel to Raleigh for my job at times and hate Raleigh with a passion it reminds me of typical NY which is why we never looked in NC to being with. We moved in on the 1st  my wife went back up to ny the following week and got 18" of snow dumped on her and i chucked and said well its 83 here today and a little windy..  

The end of Feb we did see snow.. Came down like a blizzard for about 4 hours and when it hit the ground it melted.. It was the icing on the cake for me.

Shooting ranges like fla.. A really nice newly built 100-200yard rifle range and up too 100 yard pistol range that is run by the county/state. Its $10.00 a day to shoot.  Lots of indoor pistol ranges once again like fla. In Jacksonville there must be at least 20-30 gun stores here and most carry class 3 items. I live about 5 miles from the main gate of the USMC Camp Lejuene marine base and the bulk of the people who live in my apartment complex work there.  The beaches are almost as warm as FLA due to the jet stream and they are very clean.. Much better than southern Jersey.

My wife ended up transfering her job that is about 2 miles down the same street we live on and they kept her pay so it was a win win for us.

Biggest thing i can suggest is you find a place you might think you like you got to visit it at least 4x times and stay at least a week and those 4x needs to be different seasons to understand the weather. I have adjusted very quickly to the southern way of life and its nothing like being in NY. When i travel back up to NY i see how depressed everyone is.. It actual makes me depress even when i visit and now all I'm waiting for his my youngest to Deploy in March my house will go up my daughter will move down here. i just put her on a plane back to ny this am. The son who is deploying told us 4 hours after being down here he loves it and will move down here when hes down deploying. My other kid was looking on moving down here next year also.

Overall NC is like NY sea, mountains etc... there is a liberal subsections most are in the Charlotte and Raleigh area every place else is pretty much real Republicans not those RINO's that NY has.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Throw stones.. oh yes I can... Until i sell my house in Hudson Valley ill keep throwing them  

So i have the great privileged of recertifying my Il Deuce pistol permit ..Im waiting for NYSP is going to figure out my NC driver Lic.. though..

Yea the pistol coupon is a PIA.. but you can get several at one time..

unless you get your CCW oh btw it only takes two weeks  to get your CCW after you take the safety class.. Than you have no NICS for the next five years.

Not like Il Deuce over a year now to get a CCW and oh yea still have to do NICS check on every purchase.

I dread every time i have to drive back up there. The whole state is depressing and I do feel for the people behind the lines.. but i bite the bullet and moved.

Freedom is more important to me than that shite hole..liberal contained area..
View Quote
Thought you were one of the "Texan Trolls" from GD who get their kicks laughing at those of us living in NY & CA. Didn't realize you were a refugee.

Me and my wife have been making moves to get ourselves out west. But after going through the NYC pistol process and knowing how bad restrictions can get, I'll never laugh at gun owners still stuck behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
NYC man i really feel for you... as soon as you leave you never will want to go back..
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the write up, it paints a complete picture. Ironically my wife has her sights on the Cary are which would mean working in the RTP or Raleigh area. With the 2 little kids, school quality has to factor high which is preventing me from living where I want to. After living 5 feet from the house next to us for most of my NY life, it would be nice to be able to open my back door and fire a shot to test that new powder load I'm working on. :)
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the write up, it paints a complete picture. Ironically my wife has her sights on the Cary are which would mean working in the RTP or Raleigh area. With the 2 little kids, school quality has to factor high which is preventing me from living where I want to. After living 5 feet from the house next to us for most of my NY life, it would be nice to be able to open my back door and fire a shot to test that new powder load I'm working on. :)
View Quote
oh so your in the IT work I see with RTP.. Be very careful obtaining your permit in the CARY (Corral Area for Relocated Yankees). It takes for ever to obtain your permit there.

Shooting outside your back yard hmm not going to happen either.. You will have to be a little bit more rural than that..

Cary/RTP/Raleigh is like being in NYS why I never looked at the state. After seeing that other parts are not like that changed my mind.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
oh so your in the IT work I see with RTP.. Be very careful obtaining your permit in the CARY (Corral Area for Relocated Yankees). It takes for ever to obtain your permit there.

Shooting outside your back yard hmm not going to happen either.. You will have to be a little bit more rural than that..

Cary/RTP/Raleigh is like being in NYS why I never looked at the state. After seeing that other parts are not like that changed my mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"CARY (Corral Area for Relocated Yankees)" = Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. They will also be getting a Wegman's there next year!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top