Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2017 1:53:06 PM EDT
What are the laws in PA?

I know our concealed permits aren't valid but can we carry in our cars?

And I plan on driving through PA later this week...if I can, should I stop at the Centre County Sheriff's? How long does it take and what do I need? My carry permit? Hunter's Safety course card?

I used to have a PA permit but I know things have changed for the worse.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Non-res process can vary by county, so you want to call ahead.  I renewed mine in Lancaster because it was a simple 15 minute in-person process and a relatively short side trip while visiting family.  By contrast, Delaware county was closer, but they required a second in-person visit some 3 weeks later to pick up your id card.  I think another nearby county that I called would not process a non-res at all.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I sent for a New Hampshire non-resident which is honored by PA.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the Lackawanna county sheriff's office in Scranton that is where I went a couple of months ago it's a 30 minute or less procedure, just have your unrestricted NY permit and DL easy peasy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I just renewed in Centre county last week, 5 hour drive each way, 20 minutes to get license and the woman was sorry the background check was taking so long, I told her what she did in 20 takes Nassau county almost a year. I also have a New Hampshire but you can't trust these attorney generals changing reciprocity laws anymore.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to the Lackawanna county sheriff's office in Scranton that is where I went a couple of months ago it's a 30 minute or less procedure, just have your unrestricted NY permit and DL easy peasy.
View Quote
That's where I used to get mine, as my ex-sister in law lives in that town
They had me in and out in about the same time frame.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
check out the PA firearms site. Some counties refuse to issue non residents permits regardless of the law. I also could not get a definitive answer on whether the references required on the PA application have to be PA residents. Seems to vary widely by county.
View Quote
Correct about issuing you would have to sue and no one is willing to do it.

references dont have to be from PA
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I did mine in centre county also , 20 minutes in and out , stopped by cabellas on way back long ride with friends was a good day ... reason for license self defense
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all. Centre County it is!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually going to try Cumberland County outside Harrisburgh. Their website says they issue to anyone and it's much more convenient for my route.

Will report back.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I just renewed in Centre County last month. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Bring your NYS license and have the contact info for two references to put down on your application/renewal form.

They take your pic, run the background check, laminate your license and you're done.

It's easy and beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
check out the PA firearms site. Some counties refuse to issue non residents permits regardless of the law. I also could not get a definitive answer on whether the references required on the PA application have to be PA residents. Seems to vary widely by county.
View Quote
I have always used NY residents for my Centre county license references and I've done this a few times over the years. It has never been an issue.

I have never thought to try another county because Centre is so quick and friendly that I have little reason to go elsewhere. I'm basically guaranteed a no-hassle renewal. I could try to shorten my drive by going elsewhere but if I ran into administrative hurdles, I really wouldn't be saving time after all.

Take the day off and go for a nice drive. That's how I look at it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I sent for a New Hampshire non-resident which is honored by PA.
View Quote
Correct answer
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I filled out my NH paperwork then held off when they changed their law. I wanted to see if they were still issuing them after going to "constitutional carry". (probably are, it's a revenue stream).

I figured gas + tolls + license fee + 8-9 hour round trip to centre county + plus anything else I'm likely to buy at Cabelas or doing the gun shop hop, sending the much bigger check to NH would actually be saving me money.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:05:12 AM EDT
[#15]
If your going to Cabelas in Hamburgh pa.. you can get your license in Burke county.. but you will have to wait to pick it up 2x trips.. Burke is weird they do it in different places in the county on different week days.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok! All set. Props to the Cumberland County Sheriff's department. In and out in 15 min. Would have been 5 minutes but the nice clerk lady was training a rookie police officer how to use the system.

I think next time I will do NH mail order...but I was driving through PA so I figured why not.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Pennsylvania is awesome, took my daughter to get her PA CCW in and out in 7 minutes. She had the form filled out. McKean county folks are great to deal with
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I did Centre County.

The area is in H. Beam Piper's Lord Kalvan stories, and it's nice to see in person, even though I'm fourth level euro-American sub sector, not aryan trans-pacific. look here!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just renewed in Centre County last month. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Bring your NYS license and have the contact info for two references to put down on your application/renewal form.

They take your pic, run the background check, laminate your license and you're done.

It's easy and beautiful.
View Quote
Good to know it's still that fast.  Denny Nau was a cool sheriff to talk to.  Apparently he raised hell with all sorts of things that go boom when he was a kid.  Talked to him for about a half hour after I got my 2nd PA CCW.  I let my first one lapse after I got my UT permit, figuring I didn't need it any more. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Anybody know why PA stopped honoring the Utah NR permit?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anybody know why PA stopped honoring the Utah NR permit?
View Quote
They also stopped honoring the Florida non-resident permit.  I remember hearing that it was the work of the anti-gun Attorney General with her reciprocity agreements.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#22]
anti-gun Attorney General and now shes in jail.. where she belongs.. unlike nys...

Hopefully at some point it will changed... At least my NC permit is good to go there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top