Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2017 11:03:22 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with an attorney that specifically deals with gun rights issues?  Someone in upstate NY (Albany area) would be the most desirable.  This involves an ongoing situation where a pistol permit was revoked, even though there was never a criminal conviction.  It was a family court issue, involving accusations that were later recanted.  The court is upholding a lower courts decision even though there wasn't a criminal violation.  They are treating this as though a pistol permit is a privilege and not a right...... they are simply upholding the lower courts ruling without going into the specifics of the case.  
An attorney was hired several years ago, but has since explained he doesn't want to handle firearms cases.  My friend has been dealing with this since 2012, and has not been able to find an attorney who deals with firearm issues.  

He has money, he is not looking for a handout, but he would like proper representation.  His past attorney wouldn't return calls, and failed to show up to meetings that he had previously said he would show up to.  Eventually the attorney made it clear he didn't want this case, and he wasn't interested in handling any firearms cases from anyone.  He has every right to take that stance, however as I stated my friend is willing to pay for a good attorney who will try to resolve this matter.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thanks,
                                                 Woody
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Is Jeffrey Chamberlain still around?  He co-wrote the book "Gun Control In NY" many years ago, probably knows as much as anyone about the laws and interpretations if he's still around and practicing.  If memory serves he was somewhere in the Capital District.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you cant find one in Albany...

Here is one out of Poughkeepsie NY.. A guy i work worth had a similar issued. He ended up having to sell his pistol he had on his permit at the time via ffl was able to reobtain his permit and now owns several other pistols..

www.heatherlkitchen.com

FYI shes also a local town judge in wappingers.

good luck
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the suggestions.  I will pass them on to him.  Regarding the first attorney, I may have located him.  The second suggestion sounds promising as well.  I am familiar with his case, he wasn't tried or convicted of anything which makes me want to help him get this cleaned up if possible.
                                  Thanks,
                                             Woody
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
From what you posted I'm guessing that an order of protection was issued against your friend and remains in effect?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Paloma A. Capanna in Webster, Monroe  County does 2A stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top