Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2017 1:28:43 AM EDT
I'm looking to obtain a  non-resident permit for Florida. I currently have an Unrestricted permit here in New York.

How do I go about getting the Florida Permit?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Go on the Florida Dept. of Agriculture website and request the packet.  They will mail it to you with instructions.  You will need to be fingerprinted and provide a passport size photo.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes call agriculture dept for packet.  Also need NRA or equal pistol training course on safety, I'm going thru it now.  Easy to apply 
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got word  liscence was issued 6 2 17. Not even 3 months wait. 
Have ccw in fl
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats, I need to renew mine soon!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Dept. of Agriculture.  Get the packet, take an approved course, fingerprinted and apply. Easy Peasy.  I was in FL and I got fingerprinted there at the Sheriffs department.  I think it took less than 2 weeks to get it back in the mail.

Ironically, I just got back yesterday from a trip to see family there.  Went shooting a couple of times both indoor pistol and outdoor rifle.  We shot at the Webb Range just outside of Punta Gorda.  When we pulled up I heard the unmistakable "brat....brat...brat" of fully automatic rifle fire and the Range Officer asked "you guys don't have a problem with rapid fire/full auto Sundays do you?".  As a peon New Yorker that gets to load single only at many rifle ranges I had an immediate and unstoppable erection.  In fact I have a semi chubby just thinking about it now.

I got my brothers new DD M4 so hot the entire barrel was smoking hot.  Full on 30 round mag dumps back to back.  Guys shooting cans an select fire AK's.  If I could tolerate the damn humidity and heat I would move there tomorrow and apply for 5 tax stamps.  RO's were fantastic.  Range has recently been rebuilt so the facilities were great.  I also got to shoot my 1st IDPA matches there.

Freedom sure tasted good......
And for the record the TSA on the trip there (from NY) and back from Ft. Myers International were extremely nice and made travelling with guns as simple as it should be.  I even got my balls rubbed for free.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
hahah heat and humidity.. that's nothing yet.. It gets worse as the summer drags on..

Webb is a nice place to shoot for sure...

Fort Myers TSA is a dream compared to Peoples republic of Communist NY..

Do i have to tell a story here in NC. My son who's in the NYNAG was down for 4 days to check things out.. We went shooting to one of the local county run shooting ranges. $5.00 a day to shoot all your want 25-200 yards rifle range and 5-100 yard pistol range.

The looks we got with his AR with the ugly stick was funny as hell . The range officers were perplex on the stock.. They were like that's weird never saw one of them before.. I just chuckled.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes call agriculture dept for packet.  Also need NRA or equal pistol training course on safety, I'm going thru it now.  Easy to apply 
View Quote
I used my NYS hunter's safety card from when I was 14 years old as my proof of a safety class.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. I'm helping my father move down there in September and want to be able to carry. I plan on using my hunter safety course if they'll allow it. Printed application offline, just need to get fingerprints.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hm... Speaking of rubbing balls, maybe identifying as a woman would be better for a feel-up. 
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Being on active duty one wouldn't have a DD-214 which automatically qualifies you in FL, I would expect a current Military I.D. would suffice.... never hurts to call and ask if it can't be found on the web site.
Curiosity: where's he moving to in FL?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hm... Speaking of rubbing balls, maybe identifying as a woman would be better for a feel-up. 
View Quote
I don't care what you identify as, there would be no mistaking you for female.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm helping my father move down there in September and want to be able to carry. I plan on using my hunter safety course if they'll allow it. Printed application offline, just need to get fingerprints.
View Quote
if it included live fire they will
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  I just would rather have a woman feel me up at an airport than a dude. 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#14]
oh boy this went sideways fast hahah  
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Curiosity: where's he moving to in FL?
View Quote
He's moving down to Englewood. His house is being built now and he'll be heading down in September.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

if it included live fire they will
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it did not. Maybe I can dig up the advanced pistol class cert. That had live fire.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it did not. Maybe I can dig up the advanced pistol class cert. That had live fire.
View Quote
When I originally got my FL permit back in 2003 I had a letter from a Gun Club Officer who was also a NRA Instructor that I had participated in some NRA matches at the gun club.  They accepted that along with my NYS Pistol Permit.  Good thing because my hunter safety certificate was issued back in the 1970's and live fire was not required.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When I originally got my FL permit back in 2003 I had a letter from a Gun Club Officer who was also a NRA Instructor that I had participated in some NRA matches at the gun club.  They accepted that along with my NYS Pistol Permit.  Good thing because my hunter safety certificate was issued back in the 1970's and live fire was not required.
View Quote
Wow. See always get different info. I called them they said hunters saftey was ok as i couldnt find nra cert.  Also my nys full ccw was not accepted
Then recieved letter sayin hunters saftey didnt meet there reqirments.  Luck i found my cert. And maiked ir in and week later i got my fl  ccw
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow. See always get different info. I called them they said hunters saftey was ok as i couldnt find nra cert.  Also my nys full ccw was not accepted
Then recieved letter sayin hunters saftey didnt meet there reqirments.  Luck i found my cert. And maiked ir in and week later i got my fl  ccw
View Quote
Right from their website:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Acceptable-Training-Documentation

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Just received a shiny new card in mail yesterday. Wow what a fast easy process down there. Doesn't say non  residence,has no address on it  guess works different than up here in ny
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He's moving down to Englewood. His house is being built now and he'll be heading down in September.
View Quote
Nice area, used to fish down there once in a while.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I went to Fl a couple of months before my permit needed to be renewed.  I took all the forms to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services regional office and they took the picture and prints right there.   Resident get their permit on the spot but non-resident get it in the mail.  It was easier than doing it by mail.  You can do initial permits there too but they require an appointment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top