Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2017 11:16:04 AM EDT
I’ll be visiting a family member who is getting up there in age and he wants to hand pass along quite a few of his firearms to me. So I’m researching the best way to do that so if anybody can confirm my understanding and give some local advice for FFLs in Rochester NY I’d appreciate it.

As of now I’m looking at 15 pistols and probably 10-15 long guns.

So the plan is to bring all the pistols to the FFL to ship back to my home state. The FFL said that once we do that, they give the owner some paperwork to take to the police department and the owner can remove them from his pistol permit. Confirm?

The long guns are not on a NY permit so curious about my options here. Can I drive them out of the state? Can I just ship them myself to my local FFL? (My understanding is he would have to ship them with his driver licence in with the paperwork and a bill of sale.) My preferred safest option I think I’ll probably go with is just bring all the guns long and pistol to the same FFL and have them ship everything at once.

I called one FFL in the area and they advised a $40 per pistol transfer and $30 per long gun transfer plus shipping. Right now that is over $1000 before shipping and FFL fees on my end. Any recommendation for FFLs in Rochester that can work a larger bulk order for a reduced rate?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm over in buffalo and I use Lake Erie Arms whenever I need a FFL
It would be a bit of a drive, but I'm willing to bet they would be willing to help out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Handguns - correct they need to go through an FFL. That is a federal law and a NY law. And the FFL in NY will help him remove them from his permit.

Long guns - he gifted you all those way back in 2012 right? Before the passage of the UNSAFE act right??? He's just been storing them for you all this time right?? If that is the case you can drive them home yourself. No FFL needed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handguns - correct they need to go through an FFL. That is a federal law and a NY law. And the FFL in NY will help him remove them from his permit.

Long guns - he gifted you all those way back in 2012 right? Before the passage of the UNSAFE act right??? He's just been storing them for you all this time right?? If that is the case you can drive them home yourself. No FFL needed.
View Quote
yes he gifted me the long guns quite a few years ago. well before 2012. However it looks like I'll ship them and fly home. So the question would be (and i haven't shipped a long gun for awhile) is, I could box them up myself, put a photo copy of my driver license in the box, and ship them. Do I ship them to an FFL or just myself? Any other documentation required other than my driver license?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

yes he gifted me the long guns quite a few years ago. well before 2012. However it looks like I'll ship them and fly home. So the question would be (and i haven't shipped a long gun for awhile) is, I could box them up myself, put a photo copy of my driver license in the box, and ship them. Do I ship them to an FFL or just myself? Any other documentation required other than my driver license?
View Quote
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearms-interstate-his-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Whenever I travel somewhere to compete, I will securely package (hard case with zip ties and tamper tape) making sure there is nothing on the package to indicate the contents, go to the Fed Ex account that I set up on-line using a Credit Card, create a shipping label with my name in the from address and my name C/O the address where I'm headed.  It's perfectly legal for me to ship my guns to me in another State, I take a picture of the gun (and serial number) before sealing the package, insure for replacement cost, then drop them off at the nearest Hub or sometimes click the box for pick-up at the location I'm at.....really nothing to it. They don't ask, I don't tell.
Handguns: I'd call whatever Shop I used back home and ASK, REPEAT BACK, AND MAKE DAMN SURE with who ever is in charge of what they're going to charge to receive them all and IF he's demanding them shipped from another Dealer (its NOT a Law, but some just won't do it. Now when you go to pick them up you only need fill out one 4473 and if the Dealer runs out of lines, simply attaches another 4473 to the first, so outside of logging the Handguns in/out of his Bound Book they have to file a "Multiple gun sales" form with the FBI, but that's not your problem or that big of a hassle for the Dealer.  Now the elderly gentleman really only needs a copy of the Dealers FFL to send them to him, and in reality he doesn't have to have that, but it'll make it a little easier when he goes to the Sheriffs Office, hands them his Licenses and the FFL with "This is where I shipped all my pistols to, so you can take 'em off."  What are they going to do take away his Birthday?
Ironically if this was your Dad giving you his guns before its too late, then he could hand them off and you could send them to your Home out of State....people get way too worked up over handling something the State/Govt. really has no business sticking their nose in.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Hm... perfectly legal for me to ship ammo to me from another state too, huh?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think so, resident of a different state, has nothing to do with SAFE. Federal law says residents of different states require transfer through an FFL.

Here
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hm... perfectly legal for me to ship ammo to me from another state too, huh?
View Quote
Mmm, yea.
"...Hi,...I'm FP1201, and I'm an ammo junky..."
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump....
Can I get any good recommendations for FFLs in Rochester? Looks like I'll be heading out in 1 month and will just ship everything and fly home.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're willing to drive, the guys at The Firing Pin might be willing to cut you a deal. They're in Bergen, give them a call and ask what the price would be.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks, they are 25 minutes away so not bad; i'll call them tmrw
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
When gifted, should the individual firearms and s/n's be listed? Or can one just state something like " I leave my rifles and shotguns to ####?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Heading up to Rochester in two weeks. Going to go to the Firing Pin. Brandon there has been great. Public shout out.

Thinking on my way in to work this morning- I just plan on loading all the guns in the back of the Tahoe and driving them, probably wrapped in blankets to the store.  Besides driving perfectly and 3 mph under the speed limit from Rochester to Bergen really if something goes sideways and some jackwagon rear ends me or something how screwed am if the popo show up?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Heading up to Rochester in two weeks. Going to go to the Firing Pin. Brandon there has been great. Public shout out.

Thinking on my way in to work this morning- I just plan on loading all the guns in the back of the Tahoe and driving them, probably wrapped in blankets to the store.  Besides driving perfectly and 3 mph under the speed limit from Rochester to Bergen really if something goes sideways and some jackwagon rear ends me or something how screwed am if the popo show up?
View Quote
As long as the family member is with you and has his permit on him, you might get questioned, but there shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
You do not want to be driving around alone with the pistols.  Period. Full stop.

edit: As just noted above, if the permit holder is with you, that should all be kosher.

Call the FFL and ask for their advice / if they can pick them up from the house.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#16]
^^^ Thanks, grandfather/pistol permit holder will be with me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
^^^ Thanks, grandfather/pistol permit holder will be with me.
View Quote
Then they are his guns, you're just giving him a ride.

The Firing Pin guys have always been what I consider the kind of guys you want running a shop; nice, good nature, but not afraid to enforce the rules. If you have some time, take a rifle or two with you and lighten up that ammo stash you're getting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top