Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 3:33:53 PM EDT
A buddy and I are in Essex county for the next few days and thought we might like to do a few trails in a Grand Cherokee and maybe a 4WD pickup.  Nothing crazy, just some cool trails with some light challenges maybe.

Anything like that up here?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really. If you were looking to use four wheelers I could turn you on to a couple places. I guess maybe the Jay mountain road in Lewis that goes over the mountain to Jay would be passable by truck. I haven't been up there in a while. Most of the good trails have been posted since I used to drive down there. Let me talk to a couple friends of mine about the Jay mountain road tomorrow and I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Come back in February. All roads are challenging.

Unfortunately everything that's dirt road is well graded and maintained.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I just heard about the Pine Pond Rd. at the end of Averyville Rd. last month.  Never been there and don't know anything about it except atvs use it and it's a sled trail in the winter.  Don't know if you can get a truck in there or not or who you'd contact to find out, but it might be something to check out if you're up around Placid.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Talked to one of my buddies and he said the jay mountain road should be passable with a vehicle. I tried last night to think of someplace but honestly everything is maintained even if it is a dirt road. I would say if you do take the jay mountain road over to jay you should continue to Wilmington and take the road to the top of whiteface if the weather is nice. Amazing view from the top if the weather is clear.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
MRP is a nice drive as long as the gates are open. Beaver River up through Stillwater then down to Braningham is a nice drive on dirt roads.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
come to Nh the magical wonderland of freedom has what you seek, but ATV sized

but while your cruising the ADK's make sure you check out the Abandoned Village of Adirondack in Thawuas, and you can even see a current mining OP there if you explore.  Also check out the Benson Diamond Mines in Star Lake they are wild!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top