Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 6:14:49 PM EDT
Figured I should make a NY legal AR pistol.

Can I buy a stripped lower (which is an AOW), and build it from there with a fixed mag and brace?

How would it be added to a pistol permit? I assume the county clerk wants to see a sale receipt and what not from the FFL saying it's a pistol?

No purchase coupon needed in my county so maybe I just get the FFL to fill out the stripped lower paperwork as if it was a pistol, and bring that paperwork to the clerk?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You can, with a fixed magazine. Then unSAFE doesn'the apply. There is a new stripper clip product out there that loads through an ejection port. Looks good. Unloading would be a bitch though.

A brace would be questionable. I would add it after the pistol is on your permit. Who knows what NYS will deem it as...
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Another option is a vz-58 with a fixed mag. They are on sale at czechpoint-usa.com. The owner told me he would install the fixed mag for NY customers, same as their Liberty model. Costly, but short, light, and loads with stripper clips.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Batjka...my question was more about how it is added to the permit. Would the FFL treat the stripped lower (an "OTHER") as a pistol? And fill out the county pistol permit paperwork accordingly?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, your FFL definitely has to be in on the process. At least where I am, the bureau wants make, model, serial number, caliber, and barrel length. In other words, a completed pistol. Some counties couldn't care less and just want the info even if it's not completed yet. There's a good number of people who have made them on n y g un forums dot com. Your best bet would be to post a thread there with your county in the title asking if anyone else in your county has added one to their license.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure can. Register it in .223 and .300Blk.  This one is built on any NY-10 lower, the manufacturer will engrave it as a pistol for no extra charge.  That is the 5.56 upper on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Batjka...my question was more about how it is added to the permit. Would the FFL treat the stripped lower (an "OTHER") as a pistol? And fill out the county pistol permit paperwork accordingly?
View Quote
Have the Dealer do a P-12 on it (both in and out) then give you a receipt with the normal handgun parameters: e.g.  
"Anderson Rifles"
"Pistol"
"Semi-automatic"
"5.56x45"

Now the Dealer is going to have some questions needing answers for the P-12, specifically "Barrel length" as well as "Caliber" but unless he's a paranoid idiot, there really shouldn't be any issue.....I suppose  you could list it as "Frame only" but then the County will go bonkers because there'll be a blank space on their form.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool thanks all. I am gonna give it a go this summer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool thanks all. I am gonna give it a go this summer.
View Quote
In for updates.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can, with a fixed magazine. Then unSAFE doesn'the apply. There is a new stripper clip product out there that loads through an ejection port. Looks good. Unloading would be a bitch though.

A brace would be questionable. I would add it after the pistol is on your permit. Who knows what NYS will deem it as...
View Quote
Yup, the brace might push it over the 50oz weight limit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Isn't it a MANUFACTURED weight of 50oz?

That doesn't include accessories added after the fact.

So the manufactured weight doesn't need to include handguards, braces, optics etc. right?

The manufactured weight is what you say it is, since you are making the gun right? To me, the gun is complete and manufactured when it is functional. Or really, the actual firearm is just the LOWER...so the manufactured weight of the actual firearm is just the weight of the lower right?

Who knows really...but I'd say it's fine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So the manufactured weight doesn't need to include handguards, braces, optics etc. right?

The manufactured weight is what you say it is, since you are making the gun right? To me, the gun is complete and manufactured when it is functional. Or really, the actual firearm is just the LOWER...so the manufactured weight of the actual firearm is just the weight of the lower right?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 50oz weight limit only applies when a semi-auto pistol has the ability to accept a DETACHABLE magazine as with all the other bullshit restrictions according to the safe act web site.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn't the 50oz rule not apply to a fixed mag lower?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Doesn't the 50oz rule not apply to a fixed mag lower?
View Quote
Yes all true...only applies to a semi auto with a detachable mag.

But again the law says MANUFACTURED weight. To me and anyone else, the manufactured weight of the firearm is the weight the gun comes from the factory...in this case, it is the weight of just the lower.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes all true...only applies to a semi auto with a detachable mag.

But again the law says MANUFACTURED weight. To me and anyone else, the manufactured weight of the firearm is the weight the gun comes from the factory...in this case, it is the weight of just the lower.
View Quote
When you take a stripped lower and put a sig brace and short barrel on it, you manufacture a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sure can. Register it in .223 and .300Blk.  This one is built on any NY-10 lower, the manufacturer will engrave it as a pistol for no extra charge.  That is the 5.56 upper on it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12649/20160508-090604-205671.JPG
View Quote
Needs one of those stupid binary triggers and a SIG brace.  Because fuck NY, that's why.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you take a stripped lower and put a sig brace and short barrel on it, you manufacture a pistol.
View Quote
It's a pistol as soon as the lower is transferred to me as a pistol. The manufactured weight of the lower is under 50oz. Braces and optics and handguards don't count as part of the manufactured weight.

Why would they have said MANUFACTURED weight? If they meant final weight, they would have just said "weight has to be under 50oz at all times."

They weren't imagining stripped AR lower pistols when they wrote the law.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

But isn't the issue that UNSAFE banned semi auto detachable mag pistols if the mag is outside the grip?

So it still needs to be a fixed mag lower right? Or a pump action lower etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty interested in this myself. I was also trying to find a work around of the 50oz limit but i guess fixing the mad (stupid but whatever) makes this all possible.

Has anyone actually made an AR pistol under 50oz with detachable mag?

Tag for updates.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm pretty interested in this myself. I was also trying to find a work around of the 50oz limit but i guess fixing the mad (stupid but whatever) makes this all possible.

Has anyone actually made an AR pistol under 50oz with detachable mag?

Tag for updates.
View Quote
if it is a pistol that accepts a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip, its an AW.  The weight limit does not matter.  Fixed mag, or NY-10 lower are your options. The guy that makes the NY-10 lowers was working on an upper that took a stripper clip but I am not sure where he is what that project.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

if it is a pistol that accepts a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip, its an AW.  The weight limit does not matter.  Fixed mag, or NY-10 lower are your options. The guy that makes the NY-10 lowers was working on an upper that took a stripper clip but I am not sure where he is what that project.
View Quote
Got it. Looks like its fixed mag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#20]
What caliber are you guys getting for AR pistol?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What caliber are you guys getting for AR pistol?
View Quote
I registered mine in 5.56 and .300Blk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top