Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
So nice and generous of all those professors and administrators and custodians and groundskeepers etc. to donate their time to run a college for free!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
They also increased tuition costs to go along with this.  What a f'ing joke.

Also, on a side note, I can't believe, between "Free College", Raise the Age, 421-a, and whatever contortions they did to bend over, that no one held any, ANY of assholes plans up for SAFE Act reform...
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
this is going to destroy private universities.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this is going to destroy private universities.  
View Quote
It will destroy SUNY schools, not private ones.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Not everyone.  Those who pay the most taxes get screwed again, instead of "free" college.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So nice and generous of all those professors and administrators and custodians and groundskeepers etc. to donate their time to run a college for free!
View Quote
Did my property taxes just go up?

Who is paying for this nonsense?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Time you New Yorkers have the pitch fork ready and demand homo and his liberals asses start paying for it..

You should rope in bloomberg into this mix since he wants to piss 42 million on ccw he can piss all his billions on spending it for the kids.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
YEP!  Think it through, you'll see.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
College is free.  There is a young man living with us while attending college and between the grants and scholarships he actually gets paid to go to school.  Perhaps if kids worked harder and got the grades they could go to school free as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
College is free.  There is a young man living with us while attending college and between the grants and scholarships he actually gets paid to go to school.  Perhaps if kids worked harder and got the grades they could go to school free as well.
View Quote
Is NY trying to undercut the GI Bill? College has been relatively free all along with that as an option too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
well, yes.  both are fucked.  

my wife works at a private university, shes pissed and shes pretty middle of the road w/ politics.  even she told me today she wants out of this state when the kids are gone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Yep.

Quoted:
They also increased tuition costs to go along with this.  What a f'ing joke.

Also, on a side note, I can't believe, between "Free College", Raise the Age, 421-a, and whatever contortions they did to bend over, that no one held any, ANY of assholes plans up for SAFE Act reform...
Exactly.  I wonder how many paying students will leave once they realize their tuition is being raised up even *more* just to cover other people's lack of tuition.

And I'm thinking... This is how you teach colleges to jack prices up even higher.  After all, the college won't take a hit on this.  They'll just pass it along to the customers who pay or to tax payers.  They have no incentive to keep their costs down.

Now if it was perhaps free-market vs free-to-select-customers that'd be a different story.  But the way it is now, I suspect it's just going to get worse.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Since SUNY and CUNY will be free the degrees will be worthless. Private colleges will be screwed just maybe to a point.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
This will either destroy the County Community College system, or funnel students to it.

Typical Cuomo, provide nothing or worse and maximize soundbite and optic.

Free college didn't work out well for CA did it?
CUNY, which has a free tuition component... can't get enough educators on staff due to low pay and and local living expenses.

Further, for SUNY, freshmen MUST live first year in dorm residence and be on the food plan... which is very expensive, much more so than the cost of tuition.

So, it's not really "free"...

Frankly, Cuomo just wants control, control is is drug.

He really needs clinical help in this regards,  I think he is insane.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Double post, text removed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is NY trying to undercut the GI Bill? College has been relatively free all along with that as an option too.
View Quote
The G.I. Bill for vets or the carrot they dangle for enlisting? The carrot version was always a last payer, as is Cuomo tuition. The folks who think this bill means absolutely no tuition bill are in for a rude awakening
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Cuomo’s promise of free college tuition has a major catch, experts say

Students must live and work in New York after they graduate for the same length of time as they received the scholarship. If they do not, their full scholarship will be turned into student loans, according to the law.

http://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2017/04/10/cuomos-promise-of-free-college-tuition-has-a-major-catch-experts-say/?utm_content=buffer77908&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cuomo’s promise of free college tuition has a major catch, experts say

Students must live and work in New York after they graduate for the same length of time as they received the scholarship. If they do not, their full scholarship will be turned into student loans, according to the law.

http://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2017/04/10/cuomos-promise-of-free-college-tuition-has-a-major-catch-experts-say/?utm_content=buffer77908&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
View Quote
Sounds like he is trying to cut down on the people fleeing this state due to their disastrous policies
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like he is trying to cut down on the people fleeing this state due to their disastrous policies
View Quote
A true Iron Curtain from a true scumbag dick-tator.

FUAC, THE FIRES OF HATE I BURN FOR YOU ARE JUST AS HOT AS THEY WERE IN JANUARY, 2013.  I WILL NEVER FORGIVE, I WILL NEVER FORGET.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]
[Serious] Would this apply to single people who earn less than the 6 figure limit?

Free tuition, with GPA requirements is a good thing. High school is taxpayer funded - no one loses their mind over that.

I'd prefer to see it restricted to majors with high demand and low supply, but more education leads to fewer people needing long term government assistance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#21]
The liberals will push for bs degrees like basket weaving or liberal arts which will get you nothing..

This is no different with the govt giving kids loans today for degrees that are useless in the real world.

The kids are stuck in huge debt..

Really a class action lawsuit should be used against the colleges and dept of EDU because both of setup kids for failure and to be dependent upon the govt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Really a class action lawsuit should be used against the colleges and dept of EDU because both of setup kids for failure and to be dependent upon the govt.
View Quote
Can you really sue if it works as intended?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top