Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2017 8:48:54 AM EDT
want to take the GF out for the weekend for her birthday, we are both into nerd stuff, planetariums are cool so I was wondering what is out there for us to see?  any cool air & space type museums?
prefer on LI since less traffic than NYC itself but if it's cool enough we'll probably make the trip there as well.

also Newburg and south of there is good as well, we're from mid CT so passing thru Newburg isn't out of our way at all.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of cool stuff at West Point.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of cool stuff at West Point.
View Quote
I've been thru there a few times but not really her thing.  we were looking more for air and space stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, there is the planetarium at the Museum of Natural History in NYC. That really can't be beat.
There is also the Intrepid, they have a Space Shuttle! http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/The-Intrepid-Experience/Exhibits.aspx
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmm the natural history museum looks cool, going to have to look into that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a parking garage under the planetarium, and you can easily spend a day looking at stuff. If they have the butterfly exhibit open, it's worth the extra few bucks. Plenty of good places to eat in the area too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Come back in may/june to visit the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
There's the Cradle of Aviation museum in Garden City on Long Island.  It's not the Intrepid, but has some cool stuff (including some volunteers who flew some of the planes and talk about them).  It happens to be right by the Nassau County pistol/rifle range.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Better than the Cradle of Aviation, in my opinion, is the American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport in Farmingdale. Most of their airplanes actually fly, even if they're quiet during your visit, it's still more interesting than the static displays in Garden City. Plus... they've got an A-10.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
last year she took me to all of those places you guys mentioned, she's not into all the air/military stuff as much as I am though.

we're going to check out the natural history museum and their planetarium.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Better than the Cradle of Aviation, in my opinion, is the American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport in Farmingdale. Most of their airplanes actually fly, even if they're quiet during your visit, it's still more interesting than the static displays in Garden City. Plus... they've got an A-10.
View Quote
Haven't been to the one in Farmingdale, may need to check that out.  Cradle of Aviation also has an A-10, a F-14 and a A-6 (along with a few WW2 planes).
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Completely different feel than the Cradle. It can feel like you're in a working repair shop, which is pretty awesome. Last time I was there, a PBY Catalina was being restored back to air-worthiness. They've got quite a few planes that fly - more so than ones that don't, as well as lots of exhibits of various kinds inside the hanger. It's not a huge museum, but what they have is really great if Long Island's military/aviation history really interests you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The Reichert Planetarium and Vanderbilt House in Huntington.

vanderbiltmuseum.org

Bill
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The Cradle of Aviation Museum also has an 80s' arcade exhibit going on now, and certain nights they also have a bar do 80s kareoke.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
we're going to check out the natural history museum and their planetarium.
View Quote
Good choice, If you're a nerd and you've never been to the American Museum of Natural History you're really missing out.

I usually go a couple of times a year, ever since I was a toddler. It doesn't get old.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Reichert Planetarium and Vanderbilt House in Huntington.

vanderbiltmuseum.org

Bill
View Quote
that place looks pretty cool, I'd like to check it out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top