Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 11:08:36 PM EDT
My wife and two daughters are making a Ladies' Trip to New York City soon for just a couple of days.  They will be flying in to JFK, arriving roughly 2:00 PM or so on a Monday and have reservations in a nice hotel  near Times Square.  They'll be spending about 3 days there, taking in the hop on/off bus tour, a variety of museums, one daughter is an architect and really is interested in at least seeing a number of the more famous buildings, etc., maybe the circle boat tour, and the like.  Not sure the best way in from the airport and likewise, they leave late afternoon on a Friday so not sure what to do between checkout and getting to the airport, will have some luggage.  Not sure whether taxis are cool or a shuttle service or what.

Any suggestions on airport transportation options?  I've already sent the the things to do thread link.  It's got a couple of things that may be helpful, like the Broadway ticket discount booths.

No.  No pictures.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I work in NYC and fly a couple times a year to FL. This is what i use to save some coin - otherwise it's like 60-70 beans via cab.

Airporter....
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If they are comfortable with it,
JFK AirTran to Jamaica station LIRR
LIRR to Penn Station
NYCTA 1,2, or 3 train to 42nd street / Times Square.

Depending on time of day, around an hour trip, maybe an hour and a half.

Price will be pretty close to Airporter, travel time may be quicker via Mass Transit.  Nothing moves fast between JfK and/in Manhatten on surface roads.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
For convenience: call an uber or follow the signs and crowds to the line outside the terminal to wait for a city cab.

To save money: AirTrain. Unless they are street-smart I would advise following the above advice and taking the LIRR instead of the subway from Jamaica station into Manhattan. Probably not dangerous either way, but the subway does pick up some real winners, and out in queens the cars can be kind of empty.

ETA, if she hasn't already, your architect daughter should pick up the AIA guide to NYC architecture for the trip.

If they really have to do the bus tour, only do it for one day. Then go back and see the things they are interested in on their own the following days.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Taxis are okay, but as stated earlier will be on the expensive side and take awhile, depending on traffic. And there will be traffic, just to what extent.

Air Train to LIRR and then the subway works, or Air Train to Penn, can from Penn to TS. I used to work in the subways, and while perfectly safe in mid town, I just hated them. That's why i say cab.

I'm not an architecture type, but definitely check out Grand Central (The whispering wall fascinates me). Go down town for the older buildings. Wall St is nice, Broadway (where the Wall Street Bull is), and anything around there.

I've never been on the tour busses, but I'd suggest "The Ride". Dealt with some of the others (Big B and Hop on/off) and was less then impressed.

If they need anything during their stay PM me, I work in the city and can help point them in the right direction if needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure they've made up their minds yet on how to get into the city.  With three of them, sharing a cab or Uber may not be too bad.  Although the Airporter seems pretty reasonable, to.  The architect daughter spent a year in Europe so dealing with rail transits of various sorts is something she's reasonably used to.  But still a bit concerning.  They do plan to kind of bus around the first day to get used to the area and and distances, maybe spot some more places.  Kat has a list of places she's interested in, but they are open to not over planning.  They may try to get to a Broadway show, maybe.  The other daughter is a sommelier and a bit of a foodie, the others aren't as adventurous along those lines but they do want to get out and try some of the local eateries.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LIRR to Penn Station

Nothing moves fast between JfK and/in Manhatten on surface roads.
View Quote
Probably the easiest trip is Scare Train to LIRR!  Depending on the time of day, I would frown upon road travel.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell them to dress for cold and rainy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The Airporter bus goes from JFK terminals to right outside Port Authority; ie Times Square, every 15 minutes. Very safe, and pretty easy as long as you are comfortable walking to the hotel. Or sign up for Uber. I like Via which is an Uber like ride share that is slightly cheaper, but which drops you off about a block away from where you are going. Any of these is easier than the Airtrain.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
They are expecting some rain, will work with it or around it as they can.  Still not sure they've decided which way to come in. I've passed them the thread and some links.  They may decide after getting there and asking at the ground transportation desks at the airport.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LIRR to Penn Station

Price will be pretty close to Airporter, travel time may be quicker via Mass Transit.  Nothing moves fast between JfK and/in Manhatten on surface roads.
View Quote
the above works, but there's a slightly cheaper way

The LIRR might be a bit expense, to save a bit of money.

Once at Jamaica station, you can catch the E train to 42nd street.
If it's not during the morning rush the E train isn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
If your destination is Times Square, take the Airporter bus or a car service. The train is far more involved.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#12]
No rain til tonite
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, on their way.  I guess they'll decide when they get there.  They will likely take in museums, etc., on the rainy days and try bus tours, etc., on Wed which seems to be least likely to be wet from forecasts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Well they arrived.  However, luggage for the most part, didn't.  Apparently there was a handling issue in L.A. and most of the plane's passengers' luggage didn't get through on that plane.  I had a dental appointment so they called and left a message on the home phone but not on the smartphone, nor a text, that they expect to get luggage later this evening although I guess it took an hours wait before they were told of the problem...  She also mentioned that the taxi drivers seemed crazier than those in Florence, It., and that the pedestrians are even worse.  they were going out to get dinner.  No word on where or what for that.  But they are at the hotel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Well to go home they were comfortable with using the subway to Penn Station, LI RR to Jamaica Station and Air Tran.  Although my wife still fumbles the whole luggage/turnstyle process, the girls helped her through and they went early to avoid any busy late afternoon congestion.  Thanks for the help and suggestions.  Other than kind of cold and rain at times, they had a good time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top