Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 10:09:29 AM EDT
Classic quote..."Can you imagine if we allowed a criminal with a gun in New York City to attach a silencer to their weapon? It'd be a dangerous mistake".

Link:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-york-senator-vowed-kill-hearing-protection-act/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20170317_FridayDigest_113&utm_campaign=/blog/new-york-senator-vowed-kill-hearing-protection-act/

Text:

This New York Senator Has Vowed to Kill the Hearing Protection Act
by S.H. BLANNELBERRY on MARCH 14, 2017

This week, Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY) rammed a searing hot poker right into the collective eye of gun owners with her vow to squelch efforts to enact the much anticipated Hearing Protection Act (HPA).

The HPA would remove suppressors from the National Firearms Act, thus streamlining the buying process while also making them more affordable. HPA would mean no CLEO sign-off (for state’s that require it), no registration, no paperwork, no $200 tax stamp.  Versions of HPA have been introduced in both the House and Senate.

“Law enforcement already has a hard enough job putting their lives on the line every day to stop gun violence in our communities,” said Sen. Gillibrand in a statement.

“We can’t make it more dangerous and more difficult by making it easier for criminals to obtain deadly gun silencers,” continued Gillibrand. “These deadly gun silencers pose a huge risk to our enforcement and our communities and I will do everything I can to stop this ill-thought-out legislation that would allow more criminals to get their hands on these dangerous weapons.”

Gillibrand is joined by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who also touted the putative dangers of suppressors — despite the fact that they’re outlawed in the Empire State and would remain so even if HPA were to be signed into law.

“Gang takedowns and innovative technology have been critical to the NYPD’s efforts to seize guns off our streets and drive violent crime to historic lows. Dangerous gun silencers stymie these effective tactics,” said Mayor de Blasio.

“We need stricter gun laws, not a rollback to the lax laws of the bad old days,” said de Blasio. “I stand with Senator Gillibrand, law enforcement officials and gun violence prevention advocates in keeping gun silencers out of the hands of criminals.”

The fear-mongering is in overdrive with these two! Both Gillibrand and de Blasio are talking outta their butts (“deadly gun silencers,” give me a break!  There’s nothing lethal about a suppressor!). Suppressors are rarely used in crimes. Maybe 30-40 cases a year out of 75-80,000 federal criminal prosecutions, according to a study by the Western Criminology Review.

Moreover, the suggestion that technology that triangulates gunfire, i.e. Shot Spotter, in urban areas would be neutralized by the use of suppressors is unfounded. In fact, one article syndicated by Shot Spotter, states clearly that so long as the sound signature of suppressed gunfire is entered into the scanner database, the technology should work just fine.

Just as those who cried that the sky would fall with the expansion of concealed carry laws were wrong, Gillibrand and de Blasio are wrong for arguing that widespread suppressor use poses a threat to public safety. There’s no evidence to suggest that’s the case.

14 Mar
Kirsten Gillibrand ? @SenGillibrand
I'm fighting back against bills (backed by the Trump admin) that'd make it easy for criminals to buy gun silencers. http://nydn.us/2ngHEz3

Kirsten Gillibrand ? @SenGillibrand
Can you imagine if we allowed a criminal with a gun in New York City to attach a silencer to their weapon? It'd be a dangerous mistake.
9:12 AM - 14 Mar 2017

NRA ? @NRA
Because criminals (key word: criminals) in New York City obviously follow laws. ?? https://twitter.com/sengillibrand/status/841638244269883392 …
12:45 PM - 14 Mar 2017

But the opposite is actually true. There is proof that suppressors actually benefit the public by reducing noise pollution. Those who live in the vicinity of an outdoor gun range or those who live near public land during hunting season will certainly appreciate this boon from HPA. Additionally, suppressors also mitigate recoil and prevent hearing damage, another win for the millions of lawful Americans who exercise their right to keep and bear arms

Gillibrand’s vow to stop HPA is, therefore, nothing more than a political stunt to appease the anti-gun lobby.

Another:

http://nydn.us/2ngHEz3

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand vows to fight legislation that would ease restrictions on gun silencers

Federal law currently puts silencers in the same category as machine guns and grenades. Obtaining a silencer requires a nine-month approval process and $200 tax. (DOMINICK REUTER/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)
BY
STEPHEN REX BROWN
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, March 13, 2017, 12:43 PM

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand vowed Monday to not keep quiet as Congressional Republicans pursue legislation to ease restrictions on gun silencers.

Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said bills introduced in the House of Representatives and Senate earlier this year would make it easier for criminals to dodge law enforcement by using suppressors on firearms.

“These deadly gun silencers pose a huge risk to our enforcement and our communities and I will do everything I can to stop this ill-thought-out legislation that would allow more criminals to get their hands on these dangerous weapons,” she said.

Federal law currently puts silencers in the same category as machine guns and grenades. Obtaining a silencer requires a nine-month approval process and $200 tax.

Supporters of the NRA-backed legislation say that silencers protect public health and have labeled it the Hearing Protection Act.

“It’s about safety. It’s about hearing protection. It’s a health issue frankly, for me,” Trump Jr. told a Utah-based silencer manufacturer in a video posted online.

Gillibrand noted that silencers would diminish the effectiveness of ShotSpotter technology, which the NYPD has implemented around the city. The gunfire-detection system has helped police quickly respond to shootings.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand says she won't run for president in 2020
The Republican majorities in both chambers limit Gillibrand’s ability to obstruct the legislation. Instead, she plans to draw attention to the risks she says silencers represent.

"Claiming that silencers are a matter of public health is a ploy by the gun lobby to put profit over public safety," said Jaime Pessin, a volunteer with the New York chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Loud pipes save lives? 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't this broad the one that was purportedly a pro-gun democrat who Schemer straightened out right fast?   Seems like she's on board now- lying and deceptive, like a good Dem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wasn't this broad the one that was purportedly a pro-gun democrat who Schemer straightened out right fast?   Seems like she's on board now- lying and deceptive, like a good Dem.
View Quote
Yes she used to have an A or A+ rating from the NRA when she was a representative.  As soon as Paterson appointed her, Schumer took her to the ghetto and "re-educated" her.  She went from NRA A/A+ rating right down to F in short order.  As poor as I was in school, I never went from an A+ to an F.

I have ZERO DOUBT in my mind that the Senate will kill both the HPA and Concealed Carry Reciprocity through the filibuster.  I am a bit surprised at Gillibrand taking the lead as I was pretty sure that it would be Schumer and Blumenthal doing the dirty work.  But being a woman, Gillibrand can tap into the women's sentiment.  Regardless, those bills are going nowhere without the Republican's either removing the last vestiges of the filibuster, which I believe is a VERY BAD idea, or expending a lot of political capital and using convoluted parliamentary procedures to try and pass the bills through a simple majority.  And I doubt they would get 100% Republican support regardless so would require Democrat support too.  I have email alerts set up for the various bills in Congress.gov.  So far only two Democrat's out of 125 co-sponsors total in the House, both from Texas, have signed on as co-sponsors for the HPA (H.R.367).  For Concealed Carry Reciprocity (H.R.38) you have three Democrat co-sponsors, one each from GA, MN and TX, out of 177 co-sponsors total.  In the Senate, you have 11 co-sponsors, all Republican, for the HPA (S.59) and 36 co-sponsors, all Republican, for Concealed Carry Reciprocity (S.446). 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Well she's an extension of Schumer so no surprises here any where.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Not possible.  She is an "upstater".  How could she ever be against anything firearm related?

Sorry, not buying the NYC bit.  It was in her DNA to begin with, just like Hochul.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
She's been up-Chuck's socket puppet from the time he suggested to Patterson she be appointed  
You'd think  given the pro-gun sentiment of Central and Western New York that Gillibrand would have been unseated by now, but we know how that works.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Both New York Senators are a disgrace.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Never know, silencers in the hood would probably be a good thing.

Muffling violent crime why not? Shouldn't they die quietly?

Innocent folks would be able to get some shut-eye while hood rats rub each other out.

Who knows, perception due to lower noise levels would probably enhance property values.

Once crime infested areas would become burgeoning hipster-lumberjack neighborhoods!

Where section 8 dwellers would become gainfully employed Barista's serving Mocha-Chai-Frappe Latte's.

Of course, the influx of effeminates would lower the testosterone density of these neighborhoods creating an oasis in the concrete jungles of the 5 boroughs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's her.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
She's just repeating what Schumer told her to say. I doubt she is allowed to form her own opinions on issues.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Jackasses are just work creatures, meant to tow or haul things.  In this case, it's the party line.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Wish we could have a recall election and send her to the unemployment line
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wish we could have a recall election and send her to the unemployment line
View Quote
In theory we did several times. She had to run for HRC's remaining term and then again two years later for her own. She will be re-elected yet again. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
same BS as the "shoulder thing that goes up"  she has no clue as to what a "silencer" is... it is not sound deadoning.. it is sound suppressing... education is the key before speaking....
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]
So the entire nation has to cow-tow to NYC because something might happen by people who cannot control themselves?  And, why do they think the people of NYC can't handle owning a suppressor?  Is it because the high minority population?  Racist!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Just a crazy thought, but silencers will still fall under State Law in NY, so they will never be legal here.
Since this doesn't affect us, shouldn't Gillbrand and Schumer just abstain from voting on this matter?

Dan"The eternal optimist"G.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]
That second article identifies their plans with her.
I am already seeing articles and quotes in news stories floating her name for 2020
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#21]
The Washington Post awarded her THREE Pinocchio's for her statement:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/03/20/are-firearms-with-a-silencer-quiet

I can understand Schumer and Gillibrand opposing suppressors even though New York bans and will continue to ban them.  I definitely do not agree with them but I can see where suppressors becoming as easy to acquire as a handgun in other states, they will start showing up more often in New York and the article does mention trafficking as being a concern.  Just like "illegal" handguns.  Gang bangers do not care about the Sullivan Law and they are certainly not going to give a flying f__k about the suppressor ban in NY either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Classic quote..."Can you imagine if we allowed a criminal with a gun in New York City to attach a silencer to their weapon? It'd be a dangerous mistake".
View Quote
Um, considering criminals can't legally carry guns in NYC in the first place, I doubt they'd give a flying fuck if their suppressors were illegal.

What an idiot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top