Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2017 9:03:03 PM EDT
They got bought out by spectrum and spectrum just started rolling out their plans.

I went from a 60/5 plan with TWC to a 300/20 for about $15 less per month. There is a $199 activation fee though but it is a huge increase in speed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
We have 15/1 now.  Not convinced they have super duper speed in my area, as they have no competition.  I'm not interested in paying more for more speed, though.  As long as we can stream nutflux and plex, it's fast enough.  If I need something faster, I'll use the fat pipes at work.    That huge activation fee is a turnoff, too.  Yea, no "contracts" but they'll fist you up front. 
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just called time warner and cancelled my internet and cable. Went with the new verizon unlimited plan and now use the phones as hotspots to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime video to the TVs and internet to the desktop/tablet. Almost $600 a year buys a lot of ammo when you reload.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just called time warner and cancelled my internet and cable. Went with the new verizon unlimited plan and now use the phones as hotspots to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime video to the TVs and internet to the desktop/tablet. Almost $600 a year buys a lot of ammo when you reload.
View Quote
How long have you been using the hotspot? How many gigs a month have you used a month so far? I have 4 of the V unlimited phones but, the cell service is so slow its worse than time warner so I keep it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How long have you been using the hotspot? How many gigs a month have you used a month so far? I have 4 of the V unlimited phones but, the cell service is so slow its worse than time warner so I keep it.
View Quote

Since February 22. From March 7th to today I have used 22.7 GB. The unlimited plan is 22GB a month at 4G per device. After that they can slow it to 3G during peak usage, but total data is unlimited. In my area, there is not enough traffic to notice the difference. In fact it streams HD TV better than the TW internet (with Turbo upgrade) did.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
about a month ago i saw an email from NYSAG that he was suing TWC due to speeds not being real...

I have twc here in NC and it sucks compared to comcast (which i had in FLA) and Fios when i lived in NY,
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
about a month ago i saw an email from NYSAG that he was suing TWC due to speeds not being real...

View Quote

I don't believe anything NYSAG says.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
You might not want to believe it but..He has won many cases from business in NY...

snippet from the email i got from him

Friday, Feb 3 10:03 AM

Dear Friend:

Yesterday, my office filed a lawsuit against Spectrum-Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications for allegedly defrauding millions of New Yorkers over internet speed and performance. The allegations in our lawsuit, which are the result of a 16-month investigation, confirm what millions of New Yorkers have long suspected -- Spectrum-Time Warner Cable has been ripping you off. Even now, Spectrum-Time Warner Cable continues to offer Internet speeds that we found they cannot reliably deliver.  

Spectrum-Time Warner Cable currently has approximately 2.5 million subscribers across New York State. Our investigation also found that Spectrum-TWC executives knew that the company’s hardware and network were incapable of achieving the speeds promised to subscribers, but nevertheless continued to make false representations about speed and reliability.

My office is seeking restitution for New York consumers as well as appropriate action to end Spectrum-Time Warner Cable's longstanding deceptive practices.

We will continue to fight for New Yorkers at every step of the way.

You can read more about my lawsuit to protect New Yorkers in The NY Daily News, The Times Union, Buzzfeed, Bloomberg, The Hill, The NY Post & The Buffalo News.    

Sincerely,
Eric Schneiderman

State of New York Attorney General
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top