Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 8:01:59 PM EDT
I bought a few "homebuilt" FALs in 2000ish.  I knew they had issues when I bought them but figured I would get around to fixing them at some point.  One barrel appears to be over timed and another has the bolt seeming to drag in the receiver.  All the parts and barrels look good but I don't trust the original builder was on top of his game.  The two issues FALs both are built on Imbel receivers so at the least the base is good.  Does anyone know who could help strip down and rebuild these?  Any leads would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one here in NY
View Quote

Probably plenty of people can, but will not due to the bullshit laws.  Check neighboring PA...
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Arizona response systems.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Arizona response systems.
View Quote

Nailed it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a few "homebuilt" FALs in 2000ish.  I knew they had issues when I bought them but figured I would get around to fixing them at some point.  One barrel appears to be over timed and another has the bolt seeming to drag in the receiver.  All the parts and barrels look good but I don't trust the original builder was on top of his game.  The two issues FALs both are built on Imbel receivers so at the least the base is good.  Does anyone know who could help strip down and rebuild these?  Any leads would be appreciated.
View Quote

Investment grade firearms
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The threading on those are a nightmare. So many countries built them with varying degrees of QC that a "parts gun" becomes and adventure in "pure luck"..

I pretty much bailed on that design in the late 90's, but did enjoy shooting them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The threading on those are a nightmare. So many countries built them with varying degrees of QC that a "parts gun" becomes and adventure in "pure luck"..

I pretty much bailed on that design in the late 90's, but did enjoy shooting them.
View Quote

L1A1's (inch pattern FAL's) have the barrel shoulder cut back too far intentionally.  I believe the Brits supplied 8 - 12 sizes of washers to then have the barrel correctly time.  Compared to metric where you're either SOL or having to file / turn the shoulder, it's a superior way to go.  The best part was you KNEW you could time a barrel, any barrel, by simply having a set of washers on hand.  That, and head spacing an FAL (assuming you had the correct size lug on hand) was a dead simple process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top