Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2017 12:13:51 AM EDT
Paloma A. Capanna, Attorney & Policy Analyst
9 hrs ·
Bad news Patriots. This morning, the ATF released the 2016 year-end figures for reports of NYers into the FBI NICS database, including under the 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(4) category of "involuntary commitment to a mental institution." The figure jumped a whopping 80,000 NYers! New total is 463,605 reports to the FBI, or, 1/40 people in NY have allegedly been "involuntarily committed," which, under federal standards means pursuant to a court order.

New York is reporting approximately 6,700 people per month to the FBI to render them permanently disqualified in all 50 states and US territories from firearm ownership, use, or possession.

No one gets notification of having been put into the secret Paloma A. Capanna, Attorney & Policy Analyst
9 hrs ·
Bad news Patriots. This morning, the ATF released the 2016 year-end figures for reports of NYers into the FBI NICS database, including under the 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(4) category of "involuntary commitment to a mental institution." The figure jumped a whopping 80,000 NYers! New total is 463,605 reports to the FBI, or, 1/40 people in NY have allegedly been "involuntarily committed," which, under federal standards means pursuant to a court order.

New York is reporting approximately 6,700 people per month to the FBI to render them permanently disqualified in all 50 states and US territories from firearm ownership, use, or possession.

No one gets notification of having been put into the secret database of the NYSP for the "involuntary commit" or through a "SAFE Act Report." Add in the "SAFE Act Reports," and our conservative estimate is another 200,000 people to date. At nearly 700,000 people, this Governor is over 3.5% of the state population in a secret list that he controls.

We're suing in federal court and in state court. We've rolled out the "Civil Rights Restoration Act" to try to get a bill passed.

At some point, you either get involved in what we're doing or you have no one but yourself to blame when there's a knock at your door. Call your Senator. Call your Assemblyman. Call the Governor. Tell them it's time to "Stop the Secrecy!" and pass the "Civil Rights Restoration Act." Every Republican Member was already hand-delivered a copy; we've started meeting with Democrats.

SHARE. TALK ABOUT. RECRUIT. ENGAGE.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that SAFE expanded the mental health firearms ban to anyone sent to a hospital by LE under a MHL 9.41 commitment. The hospitals were supposed to weed out the ones found to not be a problem but I recall one hospital admin saying they didn't want that liability, so they don't weed out anyone.  So that's not a court ordered stay at a mental facility, that's anyone that LE has had reason to believe might cause harm to themselves or others so the person gets checked out for up to 72 hours. Usually far less than 72 hours.
More here
http://law-policy.com/2015/04/stop-the-secrecy/
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
every democrap that legislatures in NYS should be placed upon that list from lucky chucky on down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The possibility for abuse is astounding!
Say you piss off one of these political hacks and via his handlers/henchmen they drop your name into the database; no reprocussions, you're as fucked as the "no-fly list" with no way out.... And you thought having a politician sick the IRS on you was bad.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#4]
So we've been fucked and may not know it?  This cumhole must go.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Say you piss off one of these political hacks and via his handlers/henchmen they drop your name into the database; no reprocussions, you're as fucked as the "no-fly list" with no way out.... And you thought having a politician sick the IRS on you was bad.  
View Quote

Reminds me of this guy, although his repercussions were there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is right out of the old Soviet Union playbook.  Political dissenters and other people deemed a threat to the state back then were routinely committed to psychiatric facilities.  It did wonders for the reputation of psychiatry even to this day.   Now the state simply has you added to a secret list and you are automatically excluded from society.  Clever these politicians are!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The article seems to conflate all people reported to the FBI and those reported as involuntarily committed to a mental institution, which is only a subset of all people reported (which should include felons, domestic violence, restraining order, drug addicts, etc.).  A little google and I found 2010 numbers saying that over 100,000 people in NYS cannot vote because of a felony conviction, so that alone would account for almost 25% of the prohibited people in 2016.

Even then, 1 in 40 as being disqualified throughout the entire state for any reason sounds high.

ETA: I found the ATF report and it does have 463,605 as mentally adjudicated for NY, but it also has zero in most other categories.  I'd be very surprised if NY reported no felons, so maybe the number is aggregated?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd be very surprised if NY reported no felons, so maybe the number is aggregated?
View Quote

Why report felons, they increase the democrap voter base.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why report felons, they increase the democrap voter base.
View Quote
+1,000,000

If felons routinely voted Republican, watch how fast the Democrat's would change their tune.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
And this is why I never call the cops, never go to a hospital, hell, I don't even wanna see a doctor for anything. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And this is why I never call the cops, never go to a hospital, hell, I don't even wanna see a doctor for anything. 
View Quote

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]
i got a script for welbutrin for trying to quit chewing...   hope that wasn't a mistake.   guess we will find out soon enough when i buy my next gun 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top