Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Firing Pin in Bergen has one in stock for sale.
View Quote
Sweet baby Jesus... I ran out a funds for the month , and next month I have my Son, my Father, and my Old ladies  Birthdays, all right in a row...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sweet baby Jesus... I ran out a funds for the month , and next month I have my Son, my Father, and my Old ladies  Birthdays, all right in a row...
View Quote
I reread the posting, the one in stock is "for the shop" but they will be for sale at the shop and anybody can buy, I guess it's orders for now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Was at Beikirchs today, they said they won't touch them.  Oh and you guys with Serbu's on your permit are going to jail.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was at Beikirchs today, they said they won't touch them.  Oh and you guys with Serbu's on your permit are going to jail.
View Quote
Heard this before as well.. Not worth the drive up there just to argue gun laws....
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Was at a local shop in Nassau county. They didn't have any shockwaves in yet but they say it's legal for the common folk. He mentioned he expects to sell a lot of them once inventory starts showing up. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was at a local shop in Nassau county. They didn't have any shockwaves in yet but they say it's legal for the common folk. He mentioned he expects to sell a lot of them once inventory starts showing up. 
View Quote
Good.. the more shops that sell them the more shops that will want a piece of the action... In the month of May I will get one... come hell or high water I will post a pic in this thread in this state of NY of a "Shotgun" with a 14 inch barrel..
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the going price on these?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe they'll start showing up in semi-auto, 20ga, .410...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
as long as its overall length is 26" or more, its classified and shipped as "other" just like a receiver.  As long as you NEVER put a stock on it AND the total overall length is always 26" or greater, its good to go.  It doesn't fall into any category of rifle, shotgun, (NYS)weapon, AOW or destructive device.  Federal and state see it as nothing more than a receiver because it fails to meet the specifics of any other classification.... don't expect the police to know the laws.  You can do something similar with an AR lower as long as it NEVER had a stock attached.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
as long as its overall length is 26" or more, its classified and shipped as "other" just like a receiver.  As long as you NEVER put a stock on it AND the total overall length is always 26" or greater, its good to go.  It doesn't fall into any category of rifle, shotgun, (NYS)weapon, AOW or destructive device.  Federal and state see it as nothing more than a receiver because it fails to meet the specifics of any other classification.... don't expect the police to know the laws.  You can do something similar with an AR lower as long as it NEVER had a stock attached.
View Quote
If you manage to pick one up, I would say the safe bet would be to have it transferred as Other and then register it on your NYS permit
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
No pistol permit required on this one, just have to be over 18. It's the same legally as selling a pistol grip only mossberg 500 currently.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#13]
So, I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  Rochester defines  "any stockless pistol grip shotgun" to be an assault weapon.  However, one of these or a factory-made pistol grip only shotgun-like (built on a receiver also used to build shotguns) firearm is not (never was) a shotgun (by their own definition):

A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
View Quote
So, either one should be (probably after being arrested and spending $1,000's on legal fees to prove it) good to go, right?  I don't actually plan on testing it, because I don't really want a shotgun without a stock (I want an SBS, #$%&ing NY), but it's fun to think about.  

"You're under arrest."
"For what?"
"Having a pistol grip shotgun."
"But, I don't own a shotgun."  
"What do you call that, then?"  
"Black mamba, but the ATF calls it 'not a shotgun'."
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Its not a shotgun, its an "other" as listed on the transfer paperwork.  Its classified in NYS as nothing more than a receiver because it does not fit the definition of rifle, shotgun, weapon etc.   That said and like you mentioned, you will probably have issues with the police because they don't know the laws and will see it as they want to see it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No pistol permit required on this one, just have to be over 18. It's the same legally as selling a pistol grip only mossberg 500 currently.
View Quote
I agree and can see no reason to register something that doesn't require registration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#16]
You're waiting for a sizable number of New York based cops or state troopers to buy this thing and set policy, not rumors.

This being a factory made 590 configuration and Sessions as USAG, I do have some high hopes.

BTW, Hunter Essentials at 900 Willis Ave, Albertson, NY 11507 donated one to a raffle.
Please read.

https://www.longislandgunclub.com/forum/main-forum/current-giveaways-and-raffles/181272-mossberg-shockwave-raffle-for-the-freeport-juniors-club
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#17]
This is the shotgun "Uncle Joe" wants us to have!

Look forward seeing these flood the market.

I'd like to see all the current shotgun manufacturers offer a similar model.

Even, a double barrel for the Cowboys.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Double barrel.......  I JUST BECAME VERY EXCITED!  I think I need some alone time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I found a better loophole for Rochester.  They specifically precludes "Multiple-barrel weapons" from being considered "Assault Weapon" in their definition.  So, all I have to do to get around the "Any stockless pistol grip shotgun" restriction is to make my PGOS from one of these:

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think the penal law defines shotgun as intended to be fired from he shoulder, so it's arguably not a illegal shotgun under the penal law. I'd bet you'll be charged under that section though if you are caught with a shockwave.

I can't remember if there is a definition for "pistol" to claim this is a pistol. 
View Quote
hence the need for putting one one a pistol permit, to avoid getting tenderly loved by the criminal justice system in NYS
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think the penal law defines shotgun as intended to be fired from he shoulder, so it's arguably not a illegal shotgun under the penal law. I'd bet you'll be charged under that section though if you are caught with a shockwave.

I can't remember if there is a definition for "pistol" to claim this is a pistol. 
View Quote
Charged, I can see.. Hell just about any cops that see it will assume its a sawed off shotgun, and you will be in treated as such.... However, will It stick? By the laws own wording, this is not a shotgun, so how could you be convicted?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

hence the need for putting one one a pistol permit, to avoid getting tenderly loved by the criminal justice system in NYS
View Quote
You're being your own worst enemy. :) Even if this became a problem, they'd be more interested in all the NY gun shops selling hundreds of them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Its not a shotgun, its never had a stock.  Its not a weapon, so there is no need for a pistol license.  Its no different than owning an AR lower because its classified as nothing more than a receiver.  The law is the law and its not my fault the dirty politicians forgot to rear end us here too.  I'm looking at some of these posts here and I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of beaten down souls.  Why in gods name do I keep seeing "put it on your license"?  Has it come to that point where we are going to do big brothers work for him, follow in the beaten down path of this nanny state.  Its legal, that's it, stop trying to make it illegal or needing the kings approval.  Are you going to have trouble with law enforcement who does not know the law..... probably.  That doesn't mean its illegal and doesn't change the fact you have the right to own this item.  Its your right!

The only difference between this and a factory produced pistol grip "shotgun" is the birds neck grip.  The birds neck grip is used to meet the needed 26" overall length due to the shortened barrel of the shockwave.  If you look at a factory produced pistol grip "shotgun", the barrel is a little longer because the grip is shorter.  Both the shockwave and factory pistol grip "shotgun" are not actually shotguns.  Both are transferred as "other", just like the receiver from an AR15, one that has never had a stock installed.  Because it has never had a stock installed it is not classified as a shotgun, rifle etc..  You could not build your own shockwave from a shotgun because once it has a stock, it is forever a shotgun.  This same rule applies to AR15 lowers, if it was built as a rifle it is forever a rifle and the lower can not be made into a pistol.  If you have shotgun you may attach a pistol grip but it is important to note that the barrel must remain 18" or longer because it is still classified as a shotgun, i.e. that's how it was transferred on the paperwork.

Putting this on a pistol permit does not make it any more legal, does not change the laws.  Its 100% legal!  I just saw one today at the gun store, cute little thing too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Its not a shotgun, its never had a stock.  Its not a weapon, so there is no need for a pistol license.  Its no different than owning an AR lower because its classified as nothing more than a receiver.  The law is the law and its not my fault the dirty politicians forgot to rear end us here too.  I'm looking at some of these posts here and I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of beaten down souls.  Why in gods name do I keep seeing "put it on your license"?  Has it come to that point where we are going to do big brothers work for him, follow in the beaten down path of this nanny state.  Its legal, that's it, stop trying to make it illegal or needing the kings approval.  Are you going to have trouble with law enforcement who does not know the law..... probably.  That doesn't mean its illegal and doesn't change the fact you have the right to own this item.  Its your right!
View Quote
From above:

"Why in gods name do I keep seeing "put it on your license"?

If it was listed on your CCL, then wouldn't you be "allowed" to carry it in your vehicle loaded vs unloaded without it being listed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
It was posted on another forum that Suffolk County PD sent out a letter to FFLs stating it's NY legal and doesn't need to go on a permit.

here
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is the shotgun "Uncle Joe" wants us to have!
View Quote
I highly doubt this is the type of shotgun he was thinking of when he made his retarded statement.
I bet he had something like the shotgun Obama did his photo op with a year or two before his term ended.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#29]
You are correct... it's fun to point out things they hadn't considered. :)

I want an 870 one for sure!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Well... anyone have one yet I have one on order
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well... anyone have one yet I have one on order
View Quote
Yep, I got my Mossberg a couple weeks ago. I put a couple boxes through it, works fine from the hip pray and spray position. The heavy barrel makes it weigh more than I expected which is a good thing probably.
The dealer had some 870's in stock last time I checked so may pick up one of those too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Acquired as well. I haven't had a chance shoot it yet. I have a lot of rounds through my mossbergs so they're smoother to rack at this point than this new out of the box one. Some lube and shooting should take care of that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep, I got my Mossberg a couple weeks ago. I put a couple boxes through it, works fine from the hip pray and spray position. The heavy barrel makes it weigh more than I expected which is a good thing probably.
The dealer had some 870's in stock last time I checked so may pick up one of those too.
View Quote
Im torn, I have 4 870s, I would rather have the tac-14 my self, but the mossberg holds more, and can use that adapter for mini shells for even more pew pew.... Guess ill get both..
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to wait until Remington has other offerings... like one based on the Police Magnum or a blingy Marine version.

Handled one in the store the other day... definitely have the TAC-14 on my shortlist.

Saving for the Sept. Taxes is a bitch
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm going to wait until Remington has other offerings... like one based on the Police Magnum or a blingy Marine version.

Handled one in the store the other day... definitely have the TAC-14 on my shortlist.

Saving for the Sept. Taxes is a bitch
View Quote
Mossberg is making one off their marinecote model too but they only coat the receiver, the rest is left parkerized.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I've seen both Tac-14 and Shockwave for sale in my area.

$450 for an 870 express is robbery and the the $625 for the shockwave was outright certifiable insanity.

I'm a little miffed the Mossberg isn't built off of the 590a1... that's a no go for me.

While I LOVE the concept, it is not a must have for me. Now, if I didn't have a handgun permit, that would change my position.

For those without a permit, this is a must-own IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've seen both Tac-14 and Shockwave for sale in my area.

$450 for an 870 express is robbery and the the $625 for the shockwave was outright certifiable insanity.

I'm a little miffed the Mossberg isn't built off of the 590a1... that's a no go for me.

While I LOVE the concept, it is not a must have for me. Now, if I didn't have a handgun permit, that would change my position.

For those without a permit, this is a must-own IMO.
View Quote
My lgs on LI has both 870 and 590 for $399.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wat!?
View Quote
It does look funky, they definitely cheaped out on that. Could always get the front end done to match.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Ruminating on if semi-auto's would be offered as well.

One thing comes to mind... Browning, resurrect the old A5!

Or, Remington could start producing the 48 again.

It's my understanding, that the recoil operated shotguns were the most reliable semi-auto, short barreled shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I can see them wanting to hold off on a semi-auto. Pump actions are relatively benign and off gun grabbers immediate radar, semi's are a "poke the bear" and could lead to getting all banned.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Mission...... accomplished...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to put a little in here:
1) Nobody that I know or have heard of challenged in Court or otherwise besides bitching about it, the ruling  by the former Superintendent of the NYSP that the Rossi "Ranch Hand" or other Lever Action Pistols manufactured as such.  You've got to have a body to go to Court for a challenge:  eg. IF I'd bought one, put it on my NYS Handgun Licenses only to have the State demand that I surrender it because it (in their opinion) a "Short-Barreled-Rifle" THEN a suit could be brought forward.

2) I have heard of the Remington version being sold and delivered here in NYS without issue: Seems Dealers depend more on the BATFE's determinations and prior approval before manufacturing and releasing a gun to the public.

3) These guns have been deliberately designed and designated as "other" and shall be titled as such on the 4473 and when logged into the Bound Book.

4) given the number of Laws, their ever changing meaning, interpretation, and confusing language its no wonder that many Dealers play it uber-safe and conservative in their dealings...look at the Dealers still under charges accused of illegally selling "assault rifles" or refusing to do what Law Enforcement says under color of Law.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Just saw one for sale at the field and stream in henretta... If a large retailer like that is selling them, I dare say any questions of their legality should be put to rest..
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Buffalo gun center has them as well
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

. In the meantime, I would like to compile, and gather some various documents that I can show to an FFL that may help.. ..
View Quote
One of the Long Island pistol permit offices (can't remember if it was Nassau or Suffolk) put out an opinion letter that the Shockwave and was not a pistol.  Of course that opinion is not legally binding, and unless you happen to live in Nassau or Suffolk county, they're not the ones who are going to come arrest you.  Don't remember where I saw a copy of this opinion, check the other recent Shockwave thread here on the hometown forum.

My local gun shop had a couple of these sitting in their back room, trying in vain to get any sort of confirmation from NYSP or the AG that selling them wouldn't be a problem.  No doubt such a confirmation will never come in this state, until they sell one and then Schneiderman decides to make an example of someone.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#48]
There is at least one FFL in Rochester that will handle the transfer for these.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is at least one FFL in Rochester that will handle the transfer for these.
View Quote
I know of 2 now... Like I said a few posts back, you can walk right into field and stream and buy one..
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#50]
I want one just because.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top