Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2017 10:32:52 AM EDT
What is the legal status of using a vehicle mounted holster in NY?  I have been looking at the ones mounted under a steering wheel or on the side of the seat but am unsure about what happens in the event of a stop.  I have a CCW but don't know if this type of weapon transportation is covered by it.  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You have a NY pistol permit? Or PA?

If you don't have a NY pistol permit you can't bring a handgun into NY...

If you do have a NY pistol permit then a vehicle holster is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
"Never had a holster, I keep it on my lap" - Lil Wayne
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you do have a NY pistol permit then a vehicle holster is perfectly legal.
View Quote

I was always under the assumption that if your handgun was loaded and in your vehicle, that it had to be on your person?

If we are allowed a holster, how does that work as far as being concealed? I would think it would have to be covered somehow and not just in the open?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Best use of a Serpa holster that I've found was screwing it to the cover behind the seat of my Truck: Easily retains a 1911 and I can just as easily move my hand behind the seat, touch the release while drawing a cocked & locked pistol making it a for someone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was always under the assumption that if your handgun was loaded and in your vehicle, that it had to be on your person?

If we are allowed a holster, how does that work as far as being concealed? I would think it would have to be covered somehow and not just in the open?
View Quote

Nothing in the law says that the handgun has to be on your person if loaded in a vehicle.

But yeah if someone peeks into your car and sees a handgun, who knows they could cite you for scaring the sheep or something.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I need to look into installing one in my truck. The pocket carry I use in summer is not conducive to easy access.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a simple uncle mikes holster ziptied under my steering column. I carry appendix and its not quite comfortable when driving. Plus, after running a force on force class with a vehicle scenario, i learned that i need to access it faster, and this works.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the day before emergency brakes were floor mounted (used to be a pull out handle) I had a holster mounted to the drivers side kick-panel with a SAA stuck in it.
First thing I'd do would be to sit in the vehicle and figure out from where could I draw the gun as well as the motions involved; Then figure out a way to mount/secure it, additionally you shouldn't limit yourself (if possible) on what size & type of gun you're trying to use, especially if you plan to primarily leave it in the vehicle....that Super Blackhawk is a bit ungainly to CCW, but with the barrel wedged between the seats could make for a serious "oh shit" moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top