Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2016 11:16:59 PM EDT
I have EZ Pass with a replenishment threshold at $100 and then billed $384 every month. What happens with the $100 that is maintained at the so called threshold ?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have EZ Pass with a replenishment threshold at $100 and then billed $384 every month. What happens with the $100 that is maintained at the so called threshold ?
View Quote

That state thanks you for the $100 interest free loan for as long as you have EZ Pass.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That state thanks you for the $100 interest free loan for as long as you have EZ Pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I have been giving them an interest free loan since 1994 when they first implemented EZ Pass on the Tappan Zee with the original blue transponders (I have an EZ Pass account number in the #3xxx range!).  They control the system and make the rules.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Lower it, if it suits your thruway usage. Why let the state have the money? Mine is $10, with two vehicles, but we are not real frequent users.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New York does NOT thank us for the interest free loans!  It must go to FUAC somehow...
Just think about how much money is there, consider that every vehicle has a minimum of $20.00 low balance.  Millions of cars means tens of millions of dollars!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lower it, if it suits your thruway usage. Why let the state have the money? Mine is $10, with two vehicles, but we are not real frequent users.
View Quote

This...  Unless the replenish threshold is based on usage?  If that's the case they probably do it so they aren't processing a ridicules amount of transactions each day?

I think mine is $10 or $20 but I only use it a few times a year.  For me the convenience is worth it.  

If for some reason you stop using it just cancel it, get your $100 back, then after a while start a new account with a  lower threshold?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The more you use it the higher the threshold amount. The account starts at $25 now, and if you have more than two or three replenishments in a month, they will raise it and continue to do so until your normal use keep it only one or two replenishments a month.

The credit card companies get their cut (1%-2% depending on the company) for every transaction, so the state doesn't want to have to keep paying those fees several times a month.

You can try to have it lowered, but if you consistently use it every month, they wont lower it until you have a couple months of little to no use. They look at historical usage, so if you used $20 each month for the past year, then all of a sudden you used it for one month of $350, but the next month is back to $20, it may get lowered.

It raises millions of dollars the state gets to keep the interest on, but the state also has to pay the service charge for every credit card transaction. Your card gets charged $100 and $100 goes into your ezpass account. The CC company charges NYS a 1% service fee, which gets paid by the state, not your account balance.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I would really like to see this on a spread sheet for public review and posted annually and go from there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would really like to see this on a spread sheet for public review and posted annually and go from there.
View Quote
Not

trying to be a dick to you brother, but what do you think that would do?  EVERYONE knows this state is ripping us off, they are going to jail every month for it, and the FSA keep voting them in. Its a waist.  The whole paid toll road is a super rip off!  Every heavy vehicle in NYstate pays 1.5 cents per mile they travel.  This state is in no way short of funds for the roads.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I bought my EZ Pass from NH.  FUNY.  Also, they let you choose external transponders.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not   trying to be a dick to you brother, but what do you think that would do?  EVERYONE knows this state is ripping us off, they are going to jail every month for it, and the FSA keep voting them in. Its a waist.  The whole paid toll road is a super rip off!  Every heavy vehicle in NYstate pays 1.5 cents per mile they travel.  This state is in no way short of funds for the roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not   trying to be a dick to you brother, but what do you think that would do?  EVERYONE knows this state is ripping us off, they are going to jail every month for it, and the FSA keep voting them in. Its a waist.  The whole paid toll road is a super rip off!  Every heavy vehicle in NYstate pays 1.5 cents per mile they travel.  This state is in no way short of funds for the roads.

Your not being a dick. I realize the state is ripping us off I'm just asking for accountability. Who works for who?

FUAC
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My threshold is around $150 and it hits my credit card but there are times it goes well below the $150 depending on activity. Its sucks there holding my dough but it beats sitting in line waiting to pay at every toll and bridge.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Wife takes care of the 3 that we have.  Not a lot of toll road useage in my area.  Only take the thruway if we're really crunched for time, otherwise there are "free" roads that run parallel to the thruway. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top