Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 12:23:44 PM EDT
Been reading the stickies and everything I can find on the hometown forum here, have not been able to find a solid answer, so here goes

Are there ANY exemptions for active duty military PCS'ing to NY State?

Whats the deal with reloading up in yalls neck of the woods? This is a big deal for me, or else the Dillon 1050 and 650 are gonna have to sit in storage.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Tyrants have not gotten to us reloaders. Yet.  Many of us love to make our own boolits to shove in our neutered babnana clips.

If there exemptions for the people who defend our freedoms, I believe it is only duty related.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
No Military exemptions for anything.
No magazines greater than ten rounds capacity.
"Assault Weapons" are a tenuous subject, with solutions available for some, but you have to be specific as to what you've got.
Reloading is good to go, NYC has a whole different set of rules, but I presume you're coming to Drum so it's a moot point.
There are a whole hell of a lot more shooters, hunters, reloaders, etc than Huomo will give credit for.
NO HANDGUNS PERIOD. DO NOT BRING THEM IF YOU HAVE THEM.
Feel free to e-mail or IM me as I've been around here quite a long time.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tyrants have not gotten to us reloaders. Yet.  Many of us love to make our own boolits to shove in our neutered babnana clips.

If there exemptions for the people who defend our freedoms, I believe it is only duty related.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Reloading is good to go, but if you wanted to set your 650 up in my basement for a while...
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Reloading is good to go, but if you wanted to set your 650 up in my basement for a while...
View Quote

Help me unload the pod and Ill process whatever brass you gots!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to get a start on a pistol permit, click here
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The pistol permit process can be soooooo long, that it is likely NOT advisable to bother.  In many cases, you'll be reassigned elsewhere before the permit is ever approved.   I have no first hand knowledge, but a friend who is currently a Staff Sargent at Drum has told be previously that most incoming soldiers are advise to NOT bring their handguns to NY.

Wait times vary greatly.  And by county.  Im in the next county over (St Lawrence).  wait time for a permit to clear here is usually about 9-12 months.  My wife got her's this past spring, and apparently she set new record for recent speedy approval at about 6 months...

You can reload anything.  No problems there. You cannot direct ship ammo to yourself.  So If you want to buy a couple cases of ammo, do so before coming here.  You can mail order all the reload components you want.

Do not bring anything assault weapon to NY.  

Your status as MIL means NOTHING here with regards to firearms laws.

Fro
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
From several I've referenced for, Jefferson County is getting them done in six months. there's always a plus/minus depending on varying loads, applications, issues with applications etc, but the new Sheriff has staff devoted to getting them processed.
Toughest part seems to be the references: For Soldiers they can have people (not related) reference for them so long as they've know the applicant for at least five years. The reference questionnaire has to be notarized, which seems to deter some (can't see why, it's not hard or a big deal) and after everything's been approved, the persons providing the personal reference have to sign off on the application, which makes it even harder for those serving here from out of State.....its hard and a lot of bullshit, but that's the way it is and we've been unsuccessful in overturning it, so if you want your six guns, you've got to kneel and pay homage.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#9]
do you/will you fit into one of these two categories for exemptions? If not you are shit out of luck.

shall not apply to:
   1. Possession of  any  of  the  weapons,  instruments,  appliances  or
 substances  specified in sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05
 and 270.05 by the following:
   (a) Persons in the military service of the state of New York when duly
 authorized by regulations issued by the adjutant general to possess  the
 same.
   (d)  Persons in the military or other service of the United States, in
 pursuit of official  duty  or  when  duly  authorized  by  federal  law,
 regulation or order to possess the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for the help.

However, this sparks an internal moral dilemma for me in regards to registering any firearm.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you for the help.

However, this sparks an internal moral dilemma for me in regards to registering any firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the help.

Rightly so, but consider the fact that DoD regulations require service members and their Families (in Military housing) register all weapons (pretty much ANYTHING that launches a projectile) with DES (Directorate of Emergency Services aka M.P's)
If you bring handguns in your Household goods, they are to be surrendered to the Unit Arms room or Military Police upon arrival, arrangements can also be made by contacting the local Sheriff or State Police to surrender until arrangements can be made.
With a NYS Handgun Licenses aka "pistol permit" you will have to register the handguns you have or will have here in New York and nothing else....think about it: If you one or only have one registered, when they  place your name on the list for confiscation do you really think they're going to take or even look for just that one?  Do you not think that an order for Military members to surrender their privately owned weapons will not have a print out of that members holdings?
I'm not going to delve into the un-SAFE Act registration requirements, while arbitrary in interpretation, it would seem that registration of "Assault Weapons" is closed.
I love handguns and depend on one for a multiple of reasons, so to enjoy that Right in NY a Licenses had to be procured....I haven't got to like or approve, just get one until the Laws can be changed, as its much easier to work outside Prison than inside.

*NY Law calls Handguns and Class III items  "Firearms" and should not be confused with the general definition lumping all guns under one name....sounds screwy, but read enough NY Laws and it'll be perfectly normal: unintelligible.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rightly so, but consider the fact that DoD regulations require service members and their Families (in Military housing) register all weapons (pretty much ANYTHING that launches a projectile) with DES (Directorate of Emergency Services aka M.P's)
If you bring handguns in your Household goods, they are to be surrendered to the Unit Arms room or Military Police upon arrival, arrangements can also be made by contacting the local Sheriff or State Police to surrender until arrangements can be made.
With a NYS Handgun Licenses aka "pistol permit" you will have to register the handguns you have or will have here in New York and nothing else....think about it: If you one or only have one registered, when they  place your name on the list for confiscation do you really think they're going to take or even look for just that one?  Do you not think that an order for Military members to surrender their privately owned weapons will not have a print out of that members holdings?
I'm not going to delve into the un-SAFE Act registration requirements, while arbitrary in interpretation, it would seem that registration of "Assault Weapons" is closed.
I love handguns and depend on one for a multiple of reasons, so to enjoy that Right in NY a Licenses had to be procured....I haven't got to like or approve, just get one until the Laws can be changed, as its much easier to work outside Prison than inside.

*NY Law calls Handguns and Class III items  "Firearms" and should not be confused with the general definition lumping all guns under one name....sounds screwy, but read enough NY Laws and it'll be perfectly normal: unintelligible.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the help.

Valid points.  However, I was Eluding to storing out of state and just keeping a simple NYSAFE compliant Mossy 500 at the casa.  I have never resided on post nor will I ever.  

However, you should know better than to ship a firearm in your household goods, because when you get to your new duty station that shit will be gone and JPPSO will be dishing out FRV for your jacked grip skill diddlies.

But im sorry for my last post to be misconstrued, again, I think I will just stick with brining my Dillon presses and a compliant shotgun to NY and storing the rest in America.

When faced with the choice of having to be registered and licensed to bring a pistol that I have legally purchased with me to another state, or go without, I choose to go without, I do not bow.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Valid points.  However, I was Eluding to storing out of state and just keeping a simple NYSAFE compliant Mossy 500 at the casa.  I have never resided on post nor will I ever.  

However, you should know better than to ship a firearm in your household goods, because when you get to your new duty station that shit will be gone and JPPSO will be dishing out FRV for your jacked grip skill diddlies.

But im sorry for my last post to be misconstrued, again, I think I will just stick with brining my Dillon presses and a compliant shotgun to NY and storing the rest in America.

When faced with the choice of having to be registered and licensed to bring a pistol that I have legally purchased with me to another state, or go without, I choose to go without, I do not bow.
View Quote

I get it and respect your choices.
If you like evil black rifles, it would seem that several manufacturers produce and can be purchased locally MSR's that either have a mechanism "bullet button" that locks a ten shot or less magazine into the receiver, requiring the rifle to be "shotgunned" to load, or the spur grip that doesn't protrude below the level of the lower, or still another that replaces the grip with a swan-neck buttstock. If nothing more than to thumb our noses at the assholes that rammed this ill-conceived legislation down our throats.
Funny about the Household goods....in almost thirty years here, I've been close friends with a local gunsmith and fully stocked Shop: She's on Post several times a month to pick up handguns brought in by PCS'ng Soldiers: Some elect to have her store until they can secure a Licenses, others have them sent elsewhere, some sell, others abandon them. It's to the point that FMWR has Safes and rents storage space within, even the Sheriffs Office will secure for a monthly fee... you'd really be amazed.
I don't know where you're coming from, but Winter and Lake effect snow fall will be upon us in the coming months: The Roads are usually well maintained, but you NEED good tires, and everything should be in good working order.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Agree with above. No real military exceptions to the Safe Act.
I think only LEO's and FFL Dealers are exempt. They can have whatever they want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top