Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 11:07:19 AM EDT
...But it's important to me.

So my brother lives in NY, just got his gun license, and his birthday is coming up.  Is there any way for him to own an AR15?  I know i'd have to send it an FFL for him to take ownership, but would it have to be pre-somesortofban, Could it be a stripped lower that he configures into a legal design?  If its something thats basically not possible in two weeks let me know as well as i'm just exploring options of getting him a nice gift.

ETA i also just might get him some ammo instead.  Can i ship him ammo (properly marked and all that) straight to him or does ammo in the mail have to go through an ffl?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Negative.
But he can have an Ares SCR or a Ruger mini 14
View Quote

::VOMITS::

Mini-14 isn't a terrible option.  What about shotguns are there restrictions on semi-auto or pump guns?

ETA ok so no semi-autos with more than 5 round capacity, is that overall or in the magazine ie 5 total or 5+1 is ok?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, does he live in NY City or not?  Also, what do you mean by "gun license?"  Do you mean pistol license?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He can build an ar15 with a dorky ny legal stock from a stripped lower  

10+1
View Quote

Is that any new stripped lower or does it have to be from some date range of manufacture or registered with NY in some way?  Like can i send him a NIB Aero lower that was made last week?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, does he live in NY City or not?  Also, what do you mean by "gun license?"  Do you mean pistol license?
View Quote

He does not live in NYC.  Some sort of license to allow him to own guns?  had to have a deputy sheriff verify some sort of nonsense at his home and they put his guns on the license i guess?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any lower, but the dildo stock ars are awkward to shoot. He might have more fun with a mini or garland or ares
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He can build an ar15 with a dorky ny legal stock from a stripped lower  

10+1

Is that any new stripped lower or does it have to be from some date range of manufacture or registered with NY in some way?  Like can i send him a NIB Aero lower that was made last week?
Any lower, but the dildo stock ars are awkward to shoot. He might have more fun with a mini or garland or ares

Garland?

Also, what about say a M1 Carbine in standard configuration with 10 round mags and no flashhider?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
He can build up an AR...any stripped lower is fine.  The SCR is probably a better option though
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GarandCarbine with no bayonet lug, muzzle device or folding stock would be legal
View Quote

I was thinking... who names a gun a garland... thats just odd unless its like super-totally badass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mini-14 isn't a terrible option.  What about shotguns are there restrictions on semi-auto or pump guns?

ETA ok so no semi-autos with more than 5 round capacity, is that overall or in the magazine ie 5 total or 5+1 is ok?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Negative.
But he can have an Ares SCR or a Ruger mini 14

10 round mags
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
What about ammo?  Can i mail him directly or does it have to go through an FFL?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i'm just exploring options of getting him a nice gift.
View Quote

How about a bus ticket out of New York?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i'm just exploring options of getting him a nice gift.

Unfortunately he's stationed there for the time being, and though there are many enjoyable aspects of the Empire State... firearms is sadly not one of them.  I have stuff in my arms locker thats for him and his family in time of need, but he's kinda limited on what he can have at home with him due to being stationed in NY.  His last duty station was Maryland so i keep telling him he needs to try somewhere w/ a bit of freedom some time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well kind of depends how you read the law, in theory it's supposed to go through an ffl, arguably he's not doing anything wrong by receiving it maybe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about ammo?  Can i mail him directly or does it have to go through an FFL?
Well kind of depends how you read the law, in theory it's supposed to go through an ffl, arguably he's not doing anything wrong by receiving it maybe

assuming the op is not a dealer....it all can go right to the house.  The FFL thing is for sales i believe
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#18]
You can build a legal AR15. There is no such thing as "pre-ban" any more (those firearms needed to be registered in 2014 or converted or lost in the ocean)

Featureless is an option, it can be done with a thordsen stock and non-threaded barrel or with a Spur, fixed stock and non-threaded barrel.

Fixed magazine is another option, making the magazine non-detachable makes it not considered an "assault weapon" which means he can have all the normal features like a pistol grip, collapsible stock and threaded barrel.

What part of NY does he live in?

As for the Ares SCR, they function decently if you don't fuck with them at all. If you change anything on the standard configuration, they tend to not work so well. (despite advertising that they'll work with any mil-spec upper)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top