Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2016 10:42:19 AM EDT
I'm curious how long it takes to add a pistol to your permit throughout the different counties.

I just purchased a G21.4 and Schenectady county won't be able to add it on until Nov. 1st. In the past it's only taken a day or two.

So how long for your county?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Onondaga. No wait. Walk in fill out the form, walk out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same in Cortland. They'll give you pre signed coupons too if you know you're going some where to buy a gun, saves you a trip. You have 10 days to use them or turn them back in.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish that was the case here. I could understand a day or two, like it used to be. But 2 weeks is ridiculous, expecially because they already have the info and just need to give me a card. 2 week wait for a 2 min stop.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
No wait in Monroe county.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Sullivan County
you have to call and make an appointment with the clerks office, could be anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks
then wait the 3 to 5 days for the judge to sign off, then they call you back and you make another appointment
to have it added to your permit. so in all you could wait up to 5 weeks to add a pistol
nothing like being a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Saratoga County, about a week and a half
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Ulster County, the clerk makes changes while you wait.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same in Cortland. They'll give you pre signed coupons too if you know you're going some where to buy a gun, saves you a trip. You have 10 days to use them or turn them back in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steuben is the same as Cortland. No wait, pre signed coupon's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jefferson as well. (provided you've a receipt from the transferring Dealer)  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wish that was the case here. I could understand a day or two, like it used to be. But 2 weeks is ridiculous, especially because they already have the info and just need to give me a card. 2 week wait for a 2 min stop.
View Quote

CALL THEM ON IT!
Talk to the Sheriff, he's elected, hold his feet to the fire.....anytime we allow politicians or people in administrative/government positions to tell the people to fuck-off, I'll do it when I'm ready, must be held accountable...we already have enough trouble with servants becoming our masters.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Since I left New York in the rear view, I am now on in free America- no  permit required for concealed or open carry no registration of anything escape while you can!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Chautauqua: pay for gun, take receipt to clerk's office, pay fee and add gun, get coupon, go back to store and get gun. At least it was a few years ago before I transferred my permit
Erie: same although the clerk's office part usually takes longer. I'm still usually out of there in less than an hour
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
El Douche has managed to make Putnam into Westchester north. What used to take a week at most is no longer. I've been waiting six weeks for an amendment.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since I left New York in the rear view, I am now on in free America- no  permit required for concealed or open carry no registration of anything escape while you can!
View Quote

For now, red states are turning purple.  Going to take some time but it's happening
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
El Douche has managed to make Putnam into Westchester north. What used to take a week at most is no longer. I've been waiting six weeks for an amendment.
View Quote

Wow, 6 weeks is crazy. Makes me love this state that much more...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#17]
All this makes me glad I'm in Monroe. All you have to do is take your receipt from the dealer to the Clerks office, pay the $3, it's done in a few mins (after you verify the SN five times), they give you the coupon, and drive back to the shop to pick up your gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No wait in Monroe county.
View Quote

there is always a line when I go
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Clinton County. Pay for gun and get receipt. Take receipt to county clerks office. Pay $5 to add it to card. Take card back to gun shop and take gun home. Nice if you are close to Plattsburgh. Not so much if you are out of town. Such BS.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last one i got added last year in Dutchess took 8 weeks.

Now in Fl i walk in pick and and walk out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm still waiting!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Suffolk County, same day .......just be prepared to drive back and forth .        In fact I just got back from yaphank.    Added a nice 1918 dated colt 1911
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I think it was 2-3 weeks here in Albany.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#24]
After 2 weeks I got my 4 minutes with the clerk.

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#25]
SWEET!
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Delaware Co, same day as purchase!
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#27]
At least two weeks in Albany County. More of a judge issue than a Clerk issue. All amendments have to be signed by the judge here and some judges just let them pile up and sign a whole bunch at once. If you are lucky yours gets there when they already have a pile of ones that need to be signed and yours comes back relatively soon. If you are not so lucky you are the first one in and have to wait several weeks for the pile to get big enough for them to bother with.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Oneida county: 20 minutes unless there is a line ahead of you at permit office. Bring receipt with pistol details, dealer info, etc. They are now making laminated gun lists, so the wallet card with your new gun will take a couple minutes to re-print. I think the cost is $5.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#29]
For a while Rowley in Tompkins was self-imposing a one to two week waiting period for coupons. he argued there were permit holders with disqualifying convictions, so he was reviewing each coupon request.
He has eased up in the last couple of years and there's no wait.
The biggest problem now is that the pistol permit folks no longer accept electronically generated bills of sale. It has to be handwritten.
Then they complain they can't read my handwritten bills of sale.
Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
All these inconsistencies coupled with arbitrary restrictions and wild fluctuations in issuance from County to County will become reason enough for the State to take over control and issuance of Handgun Licenses and the Amendment process, which sounds  viable until one considers how much they've screwed up every other function they were assigned.....Imagine having to submit to Albany for an Amendment.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All these inconsistencies coupled with arbitrary restrictions and wild fluctuations in issuance from County to County will become reason enough for the State to take over control and issuance of Handgun Licenses and the Amendment process, which sounds  viable until one considers how much they've screwed up every other function they were assigned.....Imagine having to submit to Albany for an Amendment.  
View Quote

Imagine everyone having  Nassau county-level hoops to jump through.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#32]
My last one while in NY was about 4 years ago.
It took a month and a half. I was so tired of getting the run around from the clerk that I went down to file a complaint and speak to the Judge. Within two minutes the clerk came out and gave me an updated license with the Judges name stamped on it. After all of the phone calls and her claiming that the Judge was backed up with permits Fuck Them! This was in Rockland BTW.
Now I don't need any of that shit. Go buy a gun in a store and walk out with it after the 4473 is completed. No Permit necessary. Open and concealed carry is GTG as are private sales. Freedom tastes great!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was asked the other day by some Suffolk licensees if I had a license from Nassau County.  I told them no and explained that besides the outrageous cost compared to Suffolk, it was the huge pile of BS that I did not want to get involved with.  If a future SCOTUS ruling removes the "may issue" (there is a case working its way up the ladder now) and New York creates a uniform licensing system, I may apply.  But I suspect I will be out of New York State before that happens, reunited with my toys.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:18:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Haven't done one in a while but;

- Buy gun, take paperwork to Suffolk PD
- Pay fee, get paperwork
- Go back to gun store, show paperwork, pick up gun
- Go back to PD, show them gun, get new license with new gun added
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#35]
No wait in Ontario county.  Walk in, the clerk's all smiles and happy when someone's buying another gun.    Couple bucks for the amendment, walk out with a plain old piece of paper with the new gun on it that you have to laminate and keep on you because there's only room for 5 on the back of the plastic card.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top