Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2016 11:21:57 PM EDT
Anyone with enough land where you can shoot ?? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

View Quote
One of my buddies has 11 acres, but does not shoot there, even though he abuts state land (maybe a piece of Fanhestock Park). Not worth the hassle he says, so he goes to Wooster or Blue Mtn.

Another colleague has 60+ acres in Dutchess and is building a nice private outdoor range on a small section, using up about 4 acres (100 yard range).

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
^ this (basically)

Putnam is mostly rural, but not that rural.

Plinking a couple rounds in the back yard is mostly not a problem
But a few magazines might bring unwanted attention ;)

Head north to Dutchess young man

(Or the range or gun club)
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of my buddies has 11 acres, but does not shoot there, even though he abuts state land (maybe a piece of Fanhestock Park). Not worth the hassle he says, so he goes to Wooster or Blue Mtn.

Another colleague has 60+ acres in Dutchess and is building a nice private outdoor range on a small section, using up about 4 acres (100 yard range).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By when he is going to finish that? would he be willing to let people go and shoot (Serious people)??
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
What you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By when he is going to finish that? would he be willing to let people go and shoot (Serious people)??

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aint nothing here that is meant to discourage you.
There is a very serious disconnect between people who want to shoot - most times those who consider themselves "serious" shooters, and an understanding of the costs associated with creating a space where people can do more than plink at a cardboard or paper target. I know a lot of shooters and a few with the scratch where they have toyed with the idea of a private range or done it. No one I know is inclined to invite people unknown to them to shoot on their property. They are even reluctant to have some people known to them shoot on their property.

In your estimation, what would it cost to build a 4 position 50 yard outdoor uncovered range that has paper and steel targets? How frequently would you be able to shoot without annoying neighbors? How far away would neighbors have to be to not be annoyed? How do you get from the public road, deep enough into the property with your gear (remember 500ft from the roadway) to the range proper? In the winter months with earlier sunsets, how do you shoot past 5pm? What other facilities would you have to put in (toilet? Well?) to make it hospitable there? How and where is waste discarded? What happens in the event of an emergency? Is the property owner liable?

How serious are you about shooting? Because if you are shooting on someone's property is not the most efficient way going about it. Shooting under the watchful eye of someone who is trained, who provides specific objectives, who puts you on a timer, and who records your actions by video and where timely review and feedback are integrated is what has been proven as one of the most effective ways to get good and stay sharp.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is a very serious disconnect between people who want to shoot - most times those who consider themselves "serious" shooters, and an understanding of the costs associated with creating a space where people can do more than plink at a cardboard or paper target. I know a lot of shooters and a few with the scratch where they have toyed with the idea of a private range or done it. No one I know is inclined to invite people unknown to them to shoot on their property. They are even reluctant to have some people known to them shoot on their property.

In your estimation, what would it cost to build a 4 position 50 yard outdoor uncovered range that has paper and steel targets? How frequently would you be able to shoot without annoying neighbors? How far away would neighbors have to be to not be annoyed? How do you get from the public road, deep enough into the property with your gear (remember 500ft from the roadway) to the range proper? In the winter months with earlier sunsets, how do you shoot past 5pm? What other facilities would you have to put in (toilet? Well?) to make it hospitable there? How and where is waste discarded? What happens in the event of an emergency? Is the property owner liable?

How serious are you about shooting? Because if you are shooting on someone's property is not the most efficient way going about it. Shooting under the watchful eye of someone who is trained, who provides specific objectives, who puts you on a timer, and who records your actions by video and where timely review and feedback are integrated is what has been proven as one of the most effective ways to get good and stay sharp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You absolutely have a point on this. As far a shooting, it basically regular shooting, not trying to do stupid stuff like some people try to do, but I do get your point :)
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You absolutely have a point on this. As far a shooting, it basically regular shooting, not trying to do stupid stuff like some people try to do, but I do get your point :)
View Quote

There are a few instructors in your area with classes out of Blue Mountain in almost every flavor you could want. One of those guys runs a force on force class out of Paladin Center 1x a year.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are a few instructors in your area with classes out of Blue Mountain in almost every flavor you could want. One of those guys runs a force on force class out of Paladin Center 1x a year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you mind sharing that info? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
there are several options out there:

map
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top