Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2016 5:55:21 PM EDT
IMHO I still think its going to tank not totally but substantially.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/13/state-pension-fund-says-hedgies-must-earn-minimum-return/
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#1]
NY state wrote checks it could not cash and promises (often in exchange for Union Support) that it could not keep. Like any other institution that does this - it should fail and declare bankruptcy.

I personally hope it crashes - Other "productive" workers in the real economy have no such protection from institutional financial failure - why should a state worker?  Are they better than the rest of us?  

Gee I Hope the "worker" that hands out the Interstate 90 on ramp tickets gets their pension.  If anyone deserves pension protection its people like those on ramp workers who gave "all" for our economy (sarcasm implied).  Lots of waste and over spending in this corrupt state.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

NY state wrote checks it could not cash and promises (often in exchange for Union Support) that it could not keep. Like any other institution that does this - it should fail and declare bankruptcy.

I personally hope it crashes - Other "productive" workers in the real economy have no such protection from institutional financial failure - why should a state worker?  Are they better than the rest of us?

View Quote
The only place you will ever possibly get a successful discharge of the pension obligation is in Federal court under bankruptcy law but no municipality have ever been able to get that far.  Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, and New York have state constitutional language guaranteeing their pensions.  New York's says "After July first, nineteen hundred forty, membership in any pension or retirement system of the state or of a civil division thereof shall be a contractual relationship, the benefits of which shall not be diminished or impaired."  That language is very clear that pension benefits CANNOT BE REDUCED and essentially puts the burden on the taxpayer to keep the system whole.  It is simple really.  If the pension system cannot generate enough investment income and payments cannot be reduced, where else do you get the money to meet all the obligations? (hint: look in the mirror)  That money will either come from increased levies on the participating municipalities, which means ever higher property taxes for town, county and schools, or from the general fund which comes from the income tax.

The only "override" to this problem is the U.S. Constitution which has no such guarantees and bankruptcy in Federal court.  The problem is, no municipality has ever been able to get that far.  At one point several years ago, Stockton, CA (and one other California municipality) was going to declare bankruptcy but Calpers fought them tooth and nail to keep it out of court and an out-of-court settlement was reached preventing a Federal ruling.  Detroit was perhaps the most recent best test case but again, the parties avoided that because neither side wanted a Federal ruling.  Such a ruling would adversely effect one side or the other and neither really wanted that.  If Detroit won, it would have set a precedent for other municipalities to begin the process of reducing their pension obligations and the CSEA and other unions did not want that.  If the unions won, it would have forced municipalities to start jacking taxes up through the roof to cover all their currently unfunded obligations.  Detroit did not want that.  Without any Federal ruling (for now), there is still plenty of wiggle room for each financially distressed municipality to work out their own agreement and to reach some kind of an agreement.  Once there is a Federal ruling, then there will be specific guidelines and rules to be followed that will eliminate the flexibility they currently enjoy.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The only place you will ever possibly get a successful discharge of the pension obligation is in Federal court under bankruptcy law but no municipality have ever been able to get that far.  Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, and New York have state constitutional language guaranteeing their pensions.  New York's says "After July first, nineteen hundred forty, membership in any pension or retirement system of the state or of a civil division thereof shall be a contractual relationship, the benefits of which shall not be diminished or impaired."  That language is very clear that pension benefits CANNOT BE REDUCED and essentially puts the burden on the taxpayer to keep the system whole.  It is simple really.  If the pension system cannot generate enough investment income and payments cannot be reduced, where else do you get the money to meet all the obligations? (hint: look in the mirror)  That money will either come from increased levies on the participating municipalities, which means ever higher property taxes for town, county and schools, or from the general fund which comes from the income tax.
The only "override" to this problem is the U.S. Constitution which has no such guarantees and bankruptcy in Federal court.  The problem is, no municipality has ever been able to get that far.  At one point several years ago, Stockton, CA (and one other California municipality) was going to declare bankruptcy but Calpers fought them tooth and nail to keep it out of court and an out-of-court settlement was reached preventing a Federal ruling.  Detroit was perhaps the most recent best test case but again, the parties avoided that because neither side wanted a Federal ruling.  Such a ruling would adversely effect one side or the other and neither really wanted that.  If Detroit won, it would have set a precedent for other municipalities to begin the process of reducing their pension obligations and the CSEA and other unions did not want that.  If the unions won, it would have forced municipalities to start jacking taxes up through the roof to cover all their currently unfunded obligations.  Detroit did not want that.  Without any Federal ruling (for now), there is still plenty of wiggle room for each financially distressed municipality to work out their own agreement and to reach some kind of an agreement.  Once there is a Federal ruling, then there will be specific guidelines and rules to be followed that will eliminate the flexibility they currently enjoy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well explained and a heads up to those who think its impossible.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Are we only bashing cops and firefighters in this thread or every municipal retiree?

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you say that ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Are we only bashing cops and firefighters in this thread or every municipal retiree?
View Quote
?

We have retired school superintendents here on Long Island taking down pensions well into the 6 figures.  Numbers that could easily pay 6 or so lower level municipal workers.  The former superintendent of Roslyn School's who went to prison for corruption many years ago got to keep his six figure pension.  The money has to come from somewhere.  If they capped the maximum pension payout at say $90K, it would go a long way towards keeping the fund solvent.  Ain't gonna happen...
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just any cops and firefighters that wanted the safe act passed - remember when it went down lots of politicians claiming it was all about protecting cops and firefighters.

I'm sad about cops and firefighters that die in the line of duty, but i don't like their special societal respect used as a wedge to dislodge the 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So would it be fair 35 yrs into it to strip me of what has been deducted from my pay each week for that time ?
View Quote

"There's two kinds of fair, County and State"
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question
If you negotiate a salary and benefits package with your employer and each week monies are deducted to fund a ( pension) 401K and after 25 or 30 years of respected service , you finally retire . Problem is that the company is doing poorly financially. The Company petitions the govt. to step in and garnish your retirement account and leave you with 20% of what was yours originally. Would you be upset ?
To those who think pensions should be raided, the pensions are a negotiated compensation that is part of a package. I am grateful to have a defined benefits package. They are contributed into by an employer for an employee as part of their rightful salary and benefits package. I can earn more salary outside of my chosen profession but without a pension program. So I chose the career that paid less salary but had a better retirement option. So would it be fair 35 yrs into it to strip me of what has been deducted from my pay each week for that time ?
View Quote

Uncle Sam's been doing it to fulfill his ponzi scheme.....what makes you think you're going to collect on that either?  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That money will either come from increased levies on the participating municipalities, which means ever higher property taxes for town, county and schools, or from the general fund which comes from the income tax.
View Quote

Sort of like a special tax on people who can't see the writing on the wall and still choose to stay in New York.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question
If you negotiate a salary and benefits package with your employer and each week monies are deducted to fund a ( pension) 401K and after 25 or 30 years of respected service , you finally retire . Problem is that the company is doing poorly financially. The Company petitions the govt. to step in and garnish your retirement account and leave you with 20% of what was yours originally. Would you be upset ?
To those who think pensions should be raided, the pensions are a negotiated compensation that is part of a package. I am grateful to have a defined benefits package. They are contributed into by an employer for an employee as part of their rightful salary and benefits package. I can earn more salary outside of my chosen profession but without a pension program. So I chose the career that paid less salary but had a better retirement option. So would it be fair 35 yrs into it to strip me of what has been deducted from my pay each week for that time ?
View Quote

Happens every day legally for everyone else.  Typically absorbed retirement is protected - Once you receive a lump sum or check, they can't easily come and get it back.  Annuities are from the fund so long as the fund can provide cash to it, Once the fund runs out of cash, its not possible to write checks and yes you and anyone else can lose it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#13]
You know how to fix it?
You change the law so every agency has to pre-fund retirements instead of sticking it to future generations.
If a .state employee is earning a pension now, the money should be put aside now & it should come out of the state agency's existing current budget.

But you need to ensure that the money goes where it is supposed to.
Congress made the USPS pre-fund theirs, but instead of putting the money away they threw it in the general fund & spent it - so the money is lost.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question
View Quote

Well the taxpayer could argue this this "contract" is unreasonable/unfair/unconscionable & therefore void...
This is the reality of the entire NYS pension system - politicians agree to ridiculous things because they'll be out of office or dead before someone else has to pay for it.

We're not talking about 401K's that employees contributed to, we're talking about a "promise" made by someone other than the people who actually get stuck with the bill.
The entire system is built on a lie (the same lie 0bama used when he said that welfare handouts boost the economy) - in the pension system the lie is that the pensioners will be spending their pensions in NYS on taxes & goods that will drive the state economy.

Pensions should have fixed contributions by the taxpayer.
If at some point the people who manage it somehow bankrupt it, then it shouldn't be up to the taxpayer to fill it back up again - it should be strictly between the fund manager & the pensioners.

So another interesting question - what would happen if the private sector "makers" all suddenly packed their shit & left the state - leaving nothing but .state employees & deadbeats that don't work?
How would those .state salaries get paid & how would those pension obligations be met?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Why we must say NO to a state Constitutional Convention
Author: By Ned Hoskin
Source: NYSUT United
This article is the first in an occasional series about the 2017 statewide referendum on a state Constitutional Convention.

Imagine, if you will, a day when the state of New York has no obligation to educate its young people; a day when it is relieved of its pension obligations to retirees; a day when you have no rights to collective bargaining or even to join a union. Imagine a day when the Adirondacks are no longer "Forever Wild." Or a day when the governor of New York dictates the state's annual budget with no requirement for input or approval from the Legislature.

A signpost is up ahead, but it's not "The Twilight Zone." It's the potential disaster known as a Constitutional Convention.

On Election Day — Nov. 7, 2017 — voters will be asked to decide whether the state should redraft the state's charter document — its constitution. This referendum will overshadow all other decisions citizens will be asked to make that November, and the outcome could have far-reaching effects for decades to come. Opening up the constitution to haphazard and wholesale changes could alter working conditions, our retirement security and our members' ability to provide a sound and basic education.

"A Constitutional Convention has ramifications for all New Yorkers, even those not residing in the state," said NYSUT Vice President Paul Pecorale. "A convention will only continue the attacks we've seen in recent years on the children, working and retired people of this great state."

Under the State Constitution (Article 19, §2), every 20 years the people are asked a seemingly simple ballot question: "Shall there be a convention to revise the constitution and amend same?" It's an option, but it's not the only way to update or fix the basic outline of our state government.

The constitution can be amended in two ways. The first is through the passage of individual bills to amend specific language by two separately elected state Legislatures. If passed, such bills would then appear on the following November ballot as a referendum. Most recently this process was undertaken in 2014, and it has been used 200 times since the last major constitutional revision in 1894. It works.

The second process is a Constitutional Convention. This option allows for much wider modifications, including a full rewrite. If in 2017 voters approve holding the convention, delegates would be elected at the next general election, in November 2018. The convention would meet in Albany the following April for an unspecified duration, until it presents its recommendations, which would then be put to the voters for another referendum no sooner than six weeks later.

Why is this important to you as a NYSUT member? What's at stake?

"Delegates to a possible convention can essentially blow up the way of life New Yorkers enjoy and the expectations and priorities each of us have," said Pecorale. "Whether it's public education, collective bargaining, our retirement security, environmental protections, spending caps in the budget, or any other issue one cares about, it's all at risk."

The constitution sets the most important policy goals for the people of New York state, and thus, has an impact on every other law currently in place and on future statutes yet to come. For example, following a 1967 convention, voters rejected the proposed changes that included repeal of the "Blaine Amendment," which prohibits the use of state monies to assist religious schools. Had this repeal not been rejected by the voters, public education would look very different here in New York.

Pecorale said NYSUT members must work together to educate each other, friends, families and communities about why we cannot risk destroying the state's charter document.

"We must understand the facts," he said, "talk about serious repercussions from a possible Constitutional Convention, and vote to defeat the referendum on the ballot in 2017."

To do that, said NYSUT Executive Vice President Andy Pallotta, "we need to work with others who share this priority, and there are a lot of them."

Voters rejected the last required call for a constitutional convention in 1997, after many groups worked together to convince voters that it was not in the best interest of the people of the state. They are:

Public and private organized labor;
Environmentalists and conservationists who do not want to see the repeal of "forever wild" provisions;
Advocates for public education at all levels;
Social welfare advocates;
Fiscal conservatives who want to keep existing state debt limits in place; and
Government watchdog groups who just don't want to "spend the millions of dollars to hold a party in Albany."
"All of these groups, and more, will need to work together in 2017 to make sure voters understand just what could happen," Pallotta said.

WHAT'S AT RISK?

Many of the rights we enjoy as New York state citizens would be fair game should a State Constitutional Convention take place. The entire document would be exposed, and these rights with it:

Guaranteeing the right to a free public education (Article 11, §1);
Prohibiting reductions in public pension benefits (Article 5, §7);
Rights to workers' compensation (Article 1, §18);
Rights to be a member of a union and bargain collectively (Article 1, §17); and
Requiring the state to provide for social welfare needs (Article 27, §1).
View Quote

http://www.nysut.org/news/nysut-united/issues/2016/february-2016/why-we-must-say-no-to-a-state-constitutional-convention
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#16]
The CON in the constitutional convention
Editor's note: This is the second in an occasional series about a New York State constitutional convention and why it should be defeated.

According to the state constitution, every 20 years New York voters are asked to give thumbs up or down on a simple referendum: "Shall there be a convention to revise the constitution and amend the same?"

The question will appear at the top of the ballot on Nov. 7, 2017.

"They say there are pros and cons to every issue," said NYSUT Vice President Paul Pecorale, "but I see only cons in this 'Con Con.'"

THREE key reasons...

...2) The constitution establishes the fundamental rights every NYSUT member enjoys as a citizen of the state, as a public employee or as a retired public employee.

It guarantees the right of all state residents to a free public education; establishes your rights to be a member of a union and to bargain collectively; prohibits reductions in public pension benefits; provides workers compensation; and requires that the state provide for social welfare needs. It provides the "Forever Wild" statute that protects the Adirondack and Catskill parks. Imagine New York State without those things....
View Quote

http://www.nysut.org/news/nysut-united/issues/2016/june-2016/the-con-in-the-constitutional-convention
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.nysut.org/news/nysut-united/issues/2016/june-2016/the-con-in-the-constitutional-convention
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The CON in the constitutional convention
Editor's note: This is the second in an occasional series about a New York State constitutional convention and why it should be defeated.

According to the state constitution, every 20 years New York voters are asked to give thumbs up or down on a simple referendum: "Shall there be a convention to revise the constitution and amend the same?"

The question will appear at the top of the ballot on Nov. 7, 2017.

"They say there are pros and cons to every issue," said NYSUT Vice President Paul Pecorale, "but I see only cons in this 'Con Con.'"

THREE key reasons...

...2) The constitution establishes the fundamental rights every NYSUT member enjoys as a citizen of the state, as a public employee or as a retired public employee.

It guarantees the right of all state residents to a free public education; establishes your rights to be a member of a union and to bargain collectively; prohibits reductions in public pension benefits; provides workers compensation; and requires that the state provide for social welfare needs. It provides the "Forever Wild" statute that protects the Adirondack and Catskill parks. Imagine New York State without those things....

I'm calling Bullshit on this
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well the taxpayer could argue this this "contract" is unreasonable/unfair/unconscionable & therefore void...
This is the reality of the entire NYS pension system - politicians agree to ridiculous things because they'll be out of office or dead before someone else has to pay for it.

We're not talking about 401K's that employees contributed to, we're talking about a "promise" made by someone other than the people who actually get stuck with the bill.
The entire system is built on a lie (the same lie 0bama used when he said that welfare handouts boost the economy) - in the pension system the lie is that the pensioners will be spending their pensions in NYS on taxes & goods that will drive the state economy.

If at some point the people who manage it somehow bankrupt it, then it shouldn't be up to the taxpayer to fill it back up again - it should be strictly between the fund manager & the pensioners.

So another interesting question - what would happen if the private sector "makers" all suddenly packed their shit & left the state - leaving nothing but .state employees & deadbeats that don't work?
How would those .state salaries get paid & how would those pension obligations be met?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question

Edit: double tap
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question

The best thing to do is force the state towards bankruptcy which will happen in time . Once this happens you can force all unions to renegotiate contracts . Unless of course the unions would like to take this fight to the united states supreme court and this is something they don't want to do. They would be fucking every union in the united states . This is why the unions negotiated with Stockton CA and eventually settled. Police ,state workers fire fighter ,county worker it will impact everyone.

NO ONE IS IMMUNEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edit
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
what would happen if the private sector "makers" all suddenly packed their shit & left the state - leaving nothing but .state employees & deadbeats that don't work?
View Quote

Uhhhhmmmm, don't tell anyone, but that is already happening.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what would happen if the private sector "makers" all suddenly packed their shit & left the state - leaving nothing but .state employees & deadbeats that don't work?

The state is having trouble with its pension funds already. Small indications have been coming onto the radar screen. i.e. : state has advised outside fund managers that they are not meeting expected 7% of growth. IMHO the pension funds are in a death spiral. That is all    
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#22]
This is part of the reason I want to retire fairly early.  Gotta get while the gettin is good!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Those are all reasons why we should have a CC...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some, not all...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question
View Quote

Don't bother all pensions are bad all cops and firefighters are bad in the NYHTF
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't bother all pensions are bad all cops and firefighters are bad in the NYHTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question

Pretty much.  

Don't forget the Christmas bonuses!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question

Basically its fucked up financially it doesn't make sense . Take any of those pension numbers and ask yourself is it sustainable ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Basically its fucked up financially it doesn't make sense . Take any of those pension numbers and ask yourself is it sustainable ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting conversation

Quick question

Not sustainable in the very long term but you could confiscate every New York taxpayers savings account and paycheck to extend it a bit longer  Unfortunately for New York, I suspect the Feds, assuming the Democrat's get full control of congress in the New Year, will be raiding our savings and paychecks to pay for all of Hillary's programs.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#29]
If you work for NY State and require a pension and have a good many years to go, I would suggest finding another career in a more solvent state.  I would venture a guess NY will screw over its own employees versus limiting entitlements to welfare bums and the like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question

I'm not a cop or a firefighter, but this is why I don't frequent this form very much anymore.

Bitch bitch bitch.

So pathetic..

No different than the liberal side of things except for the fact that we are all firearms owners and stand for the second amendment but that's about the only difference between the two.

If you don't like the name-calling than go to your safe space.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not a cop or a firefighter, but this is why I don't frequent this form very much anymore.

Bitch bitch bitch.

So pathetic..

No different than the liberal side of things except for the fact that we are all firearms owners and stand for the second amendment but that's about the only difference between the two.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting conversation
Quick question

Bitch bitch bitch.

So pathetic..

Honestly I don't pay much attention to many on this forum either. I'm just waiting for the code red with my assigned AO.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top