Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 11:57:17 PM EDT
Sad really.  

Last year there were an overwhelming number of people.  I went today and it was worse than last year.

There were people having an apple fight in the orchard, people not picking apples but just taking selfies and leaving, yoga moms, beta dads, I could go on.  It's college kids thinking it's cool.

The food and store have gone down hill in my opinion as well.

I have pictures of my mother pregnant with me there, and have gone there pretty much every year that I can remember minus my stint in the military.  But, even then I'd come home and go if I could.

This is lame I know and I wish them well buisness wise, but the days of low key local activity there is gone.

Where do you guys go in CNY?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You just want to pick apples?
Come north to Oswego County.

I'll get you the names of where we go later - might be Bielhing's (but my memory and spelling both suck!)
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed. Place is a zoo now and not worth the trip. Went to Navarino orchard yesterday-busy but much less hassle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You just want to pick apples? Come north to Oswego County.
I'll get you the names of where we go later - might be Bielhing's (but my memory and spelling both suck!)
View Quote

Behlings or go home!
http://www.behlingorchards.com/
We literally pick a bin FULL of Apples....a little on the el-torista on the weekends if you hang out around the main buildings but that entertainment for the little kids, they hire Deputy Sheriffs to make sure there's no bullshit.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Agreed. Place is a zoo now and not worth the trip. Went to Navarino orchard yesterday-busy but much less hassle.
View Quote

Pretty much describes it.

We pass Navarino on the way to Tim's.  My dad started going there last year due to the change in Beak and Skiff and liked it.  We'll probably check that out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Beihlings, appledale or Hurlbut's farm.  Hurlbut's is a dairy farm/apple orchard/maple syrup maker.  Real nice people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I think its awesome the empire they built off of just apples.   I remember when it was just a barn and trees.    Crowds can suck but I can't really fault them for that, they are doing a hell of a business

If you are out near Elbridge try Owens orchard, its on route 5 headed toward auburn.   Has sort of an old school B&S feel

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
went to beak and skiff like 2 weeks ago...was fun i thought, lots of free drinks too :)
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear that its become a side show up there similar to the picture that you just painted. To be expected really, they've quadrupled in size in the last few years and with that comes the good AND the bad. We've always been partial to Abbott Farms in Baldwinsville. They've got everything that the bigger places like B&S do, prices and selection are the same and its just over the river from us.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sad really.  

Last year there were an overwhelming number of people.  I went today and it was worse than last year.

There were people having an apple fight in the orchard, people not picking apples but just taking selfies and leaving, yoga moms, beta dads, I could go on.  It's college kids thinking it's cool.

The food and store have gone down hill in my opinion as well.

I have pictures of my mother pregnant with me there, and have gone there pretty much every year that I can remember minus my stint in the military.  But, even then I'd come home and go if I could.

This is lame I know and I wish them well buisness wise, but the days of low key local activity there is gone.

Where do you guys go in CNY?
View Quote

This makes me sad.  Beak & Skiff is one of the places I loved while growing up.  My family still sends me apples from them from time to time.
(Can't get Empire apples here in KY ).

Although I guess it's better than I feared... I figured it'd be anti-gun signage or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Behlings or go home!

We literally pick a bin FULL of Apples....a little on the el-torista on the weekends if you hang out around the main buildings but that entertainment for the little kids, they hire Deputy Sheriffs to make sure there's no bullshit.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You just want to pick apples? Come north to Oswego County.

Behlings or go home!

Just went last weekend and it was packed but not bad at all to navigate.  

All of the apples are perfect right now. Honeycrisp are peak and they have one called Jennablush that is awesome too. $2/LB for the Honeycrisp is a good deal too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.abbottfarms.com

I'm friends with the owner and he runs a good operation there.

Right now it should be their fall festival time on the weekends so bring the kids if you have any.

Shoot me a PM if you want some more details.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://www.abbottfarms.com

I'm friends with the owner and he runs a good operation there.

Right now it should be their fall festival time on the weekends so bring the kids if you have any.

Shoot me a PM if you want some more details.
View Quote

Ironically its the very same with Behlings and I  
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Are they open during the week?

As a personal rule I don't go anywhere on the weekends, that's when everyone else does shit.

I'm more of a Tuesday or Wednesday person.

I took the kids to Animal Adventure after school started during the week at the beginning of the month, it was us and about 6 other people in the whole place.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We take the kids to beak and skiff once in awhile, not sure what the big deal is.Critz farms is another place we take the kids

Why do you care if people take selfies and leave or are beta dads, whatever that is? I'm the worst crusty old complainer around but I don't see the big deal.

Last year I played with the baby while my wife took my son to pick the apples. My wife didn't complain about anything and baby and I played and walked around their courtyard area. Nobody bothered us or did anything remarkable that I remember

Course I also take the kids to Chuckie cheese and the mall and live to tell the tale, ha ha
View Quote

You need to step up your game.

ETA:  Its just not for me anymore.  It's lost its local, small time charm.  Part of what makes this area unique for me.  Beta dads try to explain to kids who are actively throwing apples and shaking trees that it's wrong instead of handling business, especially after they hit people with an errant apple.

Having said that, stop liking what I don't.

[Shrug]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
we should do an arfcom apple picking trip so I can do a picture thread about it
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Arfles!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Cranky fat guys shoot apple throwing delinquents"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer big bones instead of fat
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when we meet up for apple picking are plate carriers mandatory or optional?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
This sounds better and better

Arf vs toddlers
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Arf vs toddlers
View Quote

That's probably our speed.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Arf vs toddlers
View Quote

my money is on the toddlers those fuckers are crafty
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My kids will be happy to pelt you with apples lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when we meet up for apple picking are plate carriers mandatory or optional?
My kids will be happy to pelt you with apples lol

Just make sure whatever they carry their apples in can't hold more than 10 apples.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arf vs toddlers

Ever chase a toddler?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top