Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2016 12:29:35 PM EDT
So Ciraxis will have limited time up there this year I found out.  Lack of sleep too I hear as he has a 3 week old in the house now.

I'll be up in the Mexico/Pulaski area from the 28th to the 31st October with my Friend.  Any chance of hooking up in Altmar for a beer
and to drop off a new ARFCOM Dollar???  Lake reports have been good (better) this year and trickles of fish are in the river now.

Fish On!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Word has it they're stacking up in the Lake in +/-70' of water....
I promise this year I'll get down there when everyone else from out of Town is there....it's only ~18 miles South of us, you'd think  I'd be there all the time.  
Not to detract from the Fishing, but if someone want's some unfettered Range time, let me know as it's not that far North of Pulaski to our Range in Lorraine.
Also: I was told tonight there's a new Gun Shop (07-SOT) making NICE! AR lowers from 80% castings: He's on Rte. 11 right at the Sandy Creek exit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Just returned from a day fly fishing in pulaski. We fished, we did not catch.

Still sparse from the launch across form Malinda's up to the Pineville launch. We spotted like 4-5 fish, and heard of like 3-4 others being caught. We had 4 guys running fly rods, none of us professionals though, so it was probably a combination of us sucking and the fish not being quite in yet.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
reports are sounding better now. will do everything I can to give it a try this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Not going to make it up this year, headed to Idaho to not catch Fish or Elk.  
Good luck boys!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be lucky if I get out three times this year

missed so much work because of chemo that I'm not taking my annual week off, missed last year too, fuck cancer.    

hopefully next year I'll be back on track for a arfcom salmon fishing extravaganza.    Sounds like this year will be good too
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
oh, I am sneaking out this sunday for half a day of fishing with my dad, not sure where on the river we'll be but let me know if you guys want to meet up.

what time will you be leaving on the 1st zoomer?   maybe I can run up to meet up with you, I'll shoot you a text later
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
We'll be in the boat Thurs, Friday and Saturday. We pull the boat Sunday AM clean it out and hit the road by 11:30-12 noon. We have to try and beat Meadowlands football traffic or we get slammed bad in traffic. We'll probably hit the LFZ for a few hours  Friday and grab a burger up there. We normally don't stray far from our spots waaaaay down low in the estuary or other tribs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Mexico...Pulaski, you say?  I'll see if I can find it on a map.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

you want any fish?    If i catch any salmon that are fresh I'll keep them for you, or steelhead
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

you want any fish?    If i catch any salmon that are fresh I'll keep them for you, or steelhead
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes please!  I got a guy that will smoke it for me.  Any suggestions on marinade?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes please!  I got a guy that will smoke it for me.  Any suggestions on marinade?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bacon. Loads of bacon. If it cant make that awful fish smell and taste any better, then NOTHING will!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bacon. Loads of bacon. If it cant make that awful fish smell and taste any better, then NOTHING will!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously, mud sharks dont taste good
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought we were talking about fishing?

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
My friend always get a bunch of it smoked to bring home for friends. I just can't eat it.  Honestly it's terrible. I've been fishing there since the early 80's and have yet to eat one from the river that was even remotely good. Even "fresh" silver ones from just inside the lake weren't palatable

They just don't get the taste and color of Pacifics that venture out to open saltwater.  But damn are they a phenomenal fighting fish. Not many places in the world where you can hook into a 35 pound pulling machine in a freshwater river/stream/creek in water barely up to your knees...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
well I'm going to go poke around in the morning.  

reports are all over the place, but I think I know a few places that they will be.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
well I'm going to go poke around in the morning.  

reports are all over the place, but I think I know a few places that they will be.
View Quote

Friend of mine runs a Charter out of Henderson Harbor: Yesterday 3 Kings and one other Salmon (forgot the species, only that it was Male and ~30lbs) trolling the area.  Thinking about it, what he told me doesn't amount to any significant intel, only that they're catching fish.  
I've contemplated dragging a Canoe out towards the mouth of the River (and other places) to try catching a few.....I really miss not having a power boat.....gotta change that real soon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My friend always get a bunch of it smoked to bring home for friends. I just can't eat it.  Honestly it's terrible. I've been fishing there since the early 80's and have yet to eat one from the river that was even remotely good. Even "fresh" silver ones from just inside the lake weren't palatable

They just don't get the taste and color of Pacifics that venture out to open saltwater.  But damn are they a phenomenal fighting fish. Not many places in the world where you can hook into a 35 pound pulling machine in a freshwater river/stream/creek in water barely up to your knees...
View Quote

Precisely why I don't really fish for them: They just don't taste good. Now Lakers, and Kings are a different story. (really Trout and not Salmon)
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Heading up tonight at 0100. Should be fishing by 0800.  Will post an update around noon. Anyone else up there this Thurs/Fri/ Sat?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Heading up tonight at 0100. Should be fishing by 0800.  Will post an update around noon. Anyone else up there this Thurs/Fri/ Sat?
View Quote

If I can make it saturday I'll text you

hopefully this rain that is supposed to show up with kick off the big push for you
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#20]
We've been fishing since 09:30. It's now 12 Noon. That's 2 1/2 hours. We have boated 12 fish. Another hook up now and that will be 13. We are absolutely slaughtering them. We doubled last YEARS total in just a little over 2 hours.  FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We've been fishing since 09:30. It's now 12 Noon. That's 2 1/2 hours. We have boated 12 fish. Another hook up now and that will be 13. We are absolutely slaughtering them. We doubled last YEARS total in just a little over 2 hours.  FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

yeah everyone I talked to today said the estuary is full, hopefully the run starts after the water comes back up
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

How deep is the water you're fishing?   Assume trolling?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#23]
No trolling.  on a trib and the hole we fish is 22 feet deep at its deepest point.

ETA: We're up to 20 ands it's 3 O'clock
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No trolling.  on a trib and the hole we fish is 22 feet deep at its deepest point.

View Quote

What size are you using?

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What size are you using?

http://www.onthewater.com/assets/snag-hooks.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size are you using?

Tsk tsk. None of those. Just 1/4 sticks of dynamite
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size are you using?

Honda makes a very quiet generator.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Much slower today. Boated 7 and had 1/2 a dozen more break off .mDrizzled a little today. Back at it at o dark 30
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Got back home late last nite.  Fish were all over the river but the DEC CLOSED the LFZ due to low resivoir water conditions.  There were alot of pissed fishermen.  I've seen the water lower than that before and I dont understand the closure as its a no-kill zone.  Trestle and Sportsman parking lots were packed with cars and town pool was the typical gauntlet.  Our best day was Thursday.  The other days we had hot and slow times as fish moved.  Early morning was best.  Late after noons were almost dead.  Saw a couple of nice cohos taken but I didnt catch any.  Oddly fish were either real thumpers (big) or very small.  I saw a guy bring 2 kings to a cleaning station that were no bigger than a nice trout - 18" or so ????.  Much better than last year and I guess we landed 30-35 fish.  Lots of break offs after really good first runs too.  I'm betting a huge run comes in this week to the river and THIS will be the killer week of the year.  

PS - The Buffet at the tailwater lodge is really good..........
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got back home late last nite.  Fish were all over the river but the DEC CLOSED the LFZ due to low resivoir water conditions.  There were alot of pissed fishermen.  I've seen the water lower than that before and I dont understand the closure as its a no-kill zone.  Trestle and Sportsman parking lots were packed with cars and town pool was the typical gauntlet.  Our best day was Thursday.  The other days we had hot and slow times as fish moved.  Early morning was best.  Late after noons were almost dead.  Saw a couple of nice cohos taken but I didnt catch any.  Oddly fish were either real thumpers (big) or very small.  I saw a guy bring 2 kings to a cleaning station that were no bigger than a nice trout - 18" or so ????.  Much better than last year and I guess we landed 30-35 fish.  Lots of break offs after really good first runs too.  I'm betting a huge run comes in this week to the river and THIS will be the killer week of the year.  

PS - The Buffet at the tailwater lodge is really good..........
View Quote

I still need to go to tailwater, I've had a card for two few drinks in my wallet since they opened, I've never been.

I might try to go this weekend, unfortunately for me that may be my only chance this year to catch a salmon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top