Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2016 3:20:02 PM EDT
So I plan on hunting this season with my new deer slayer 6.8 SPC Ares SCR (pics to come once it is built).

Anyway, I want to hunt in Orange County (because it allows rifles), in Harriman State Park. My understanding is that hunting is allowed in Harriman State Park, but only West of Rt. 17 / I-87...is this still true? The park website doesn't list hunting as an activity, but I think that is because of the limited area where hunting is allowed.

My other idea is to hunt in Storm King State Park. The park website says it is open for hunting, but some random sources said that only West of Rt. 9W were open to hunting...although I can't confirm that.

Also, when buying a DMP, I plan on buying 1 for one region, and a 2nd for another region. Is it best to buy them online by Oct. 1st? Or should I go to a sporting goods store on Oct. 1st and buy one? What gives me the best chances of getting both of the regions I want?

Any other advice?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to hunting store and get the lic in person.. i don't trust on line at all. look at they say for each area for probability of getting the permits low means chances are not good at getting one. High is the best of course and med can be hit or miss.  

Are you hell bent on using a Rifle ? or you opp for a shotgun you could hunt Stewart airfield area which does have nice bucks but does have heavy hunting pressure the other areas i don't know what the hunting pressure is like.. The further north you go the better chances are getting something and not getting shot.  

I don't know if west point allows hunting anymore. if they do it would be only shotgun or  bow anyhow and you would have to take a safety class.. same with Mohonk mountain house.

Scout scout scout the areas out a lot prior to opening day..

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Its Sterling Forest and its a fucking war zone. If you value your life do not hunt there its one of the first parks on the feeding chain outside of NYC. The fucking foreigners are all over that place like white on rice. Myself ,I get a permit to hunt there every year simply because I live nearby and its easy access anytime. I will only go there during bow season.

No way are you to go there opening day.......................... its a foreign slug fest .
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its Sterling Forest and its a fucking war zone. If you value your life do not hunt there its one of the first parks on the feeding chain outside of NYC. The fucking foreigners are all over that place like white on rice. Myself ,I get a permit to hunt there every year simply because I live nearby and its easy access anytime. I will only go there during bow season.

No way are you to go there opening day.......................... its a foreign slug fest .
View Quote

Haha ok copy that. I found a spot higher up in 3m that I will try out this year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just looking at the map for DMPs, my parents have some land in 8R, right on the line with 8P, it's literally on the border. 8R has high chance right across the board for both 1st and 2nd res and non-res. If they had bought land on the other side of the road, they would be in 8P which is basically a "not going to happen" for any DMPs, It's "low" for 1st for res, none for 2nd and none for either non-res. Nobody in my family hunts, so it's a non issue for us, it's just one of those weird things.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there going to be an ArfHunt this year in the Dacks? Or has everyone pretty much left the state?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there going to be an ArfHunt this year in the Dacks? Or has everyone pretty much left the state?
View Quote

We've lost a few brothers over the years but a few of us still try to get together to hunt and/or fish or just to make fun of Sr. at least a few times a year. We fished the Stillwater near Lowville this spring as a matter of fact
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We've lost a few brothers over the years but a few of us still try to get together to hunt and/or fish or just to make fun of Sr. at least a few times a year. We fished the Stillwater near Lowville this spring as a matter of fact
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hunt in the ADKs every weekend once the season opens up.  I haven't been south for DMP in a few years.  When the sun comes up and you can see one or more other hunters you don't know its one to many for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top