Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 8:33:20 AM EDT
When did this change?  They can now only accept from an FFL?  Was just told this by my FFL trying to transfer a stripped rem 700 action.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Lolwut

Nothing has changed consult the ATF faqs an individual can most certainly ship to an FFL.  FFLS don't like to receive items sometimes because they worry they will be sent something illegal
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Rifles can still be accepted from individuals, although most NY FFL's wont. Especially ones who also deal in handguns because FFL's that deal with handguns must also be licensed by the NYSP and they have another set of rules to follow in addition to the ATF regs.

ATF doesn't have the final say in NY State, in regards to handguns the Troopers have extra rules. Handguns must come from an FFL if coming from out of state. Its not a law, but a regulation by NYSP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rifles can still be accepted from individuals, although most NY FFL's wont. Especially ones who also deal in handguns because FFL's that deal with handguns must also be licensed by the NYSP and they have another set of rules to follow in addition to the ATF regs.

ATF doesn't have the final say in NY State, in regards to handguns the Troopers have extra rules. Handguns must come from an FFL if coming from out of state. Its not a law, but a regulation by NYSP.
View Quote

a receiver would be an other and could be sent by an individual
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Long Island Ammo says that their dealer handbook says they can no longer accept items from an individual.  Theyve done this in the past for me with no problem, doesnt make them anymore money, so why not do this if it isnt the case?   Costs me an extra $20 for the seller to have an FFL ship.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
NYS is so difficult t understand and seemingly convoluted that many FFL's would rather refuse under the guise "That's the Law..." than chance or argue the point. Even the FFL I associate with asks for help and clarification on issues and She's been in business 30 years! (with explosives, 01, Importers Lic. NY Handgun Dealers Lic, Gunsmithing Lic. etc.)
NYSP prefers and under color of Law will tell you it has to come from a FFL if from out of State, but that's not the case, but as always with NYS the answer you get depends as much on the region, Officer, and who the hell knows as what the Law actually reads.
You can try to educate with copies of the Law, interpretations, statements from the AG, etc but in the end you'll most likely end up finding another FFL to make the transfer or do exactly as he asks if you want him to receive it.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Long Island Ammo says that their dealer handbook says they can no longer accept items from an individual.  Theyve done this in the past for me with no problem, doesnt make them anymore money, so why not do this if it isnt the case?   Costs me an extra $20 for the seller to have an FFL ship.
View Quote

My FFL accepts from individuals so long as an ID is included in the package.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to have a look at that "Handbook" as too often they're erroneous, and/or incorrectly interpreted....
The NYSP insists that handguns be shipped Dealer to Dealer so as to be able to track where a handgun came from ostensibly to identify the origin should it come up hot, ironically the NYSP is several years behind in their processing.
Even after submitting, investigation, identification, training, accounting, and all the other absolute bullshit NYS heaps on you to prove you're the good guy, they STILL treat you as though you were selling stolen gun out of the trunk of your car in an alley, while convicted politicians walk around free on appeal.....and folks wonder why  we're so eager to GTFO.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd like to have a look at that "Handbook" as too often they're erroneous, and/or incorrectly interpreted....
The NYSP insists that handguns be shipped Dealer to Dealer so as to be able to track where a handgun came from ostensibly to identify the origin should it come up hot, ironically the NYSP is several years behind in their processing.
Even after submitting, investigation, identification, training, accounting, and all the other absolute bullshit NYS heaps on you to prove you're the good guy, they STILL treat you as though you were selling stolen gun out of the trunk of your car in an alley, while convicted politicians walk around free on appeal.....and folks wonder why  we're so eager to GTFO.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well said

i just got my 01 FFL and am waiting on my NYS dealer license
i have talked to several FFL holders and some says you have to receive from an FFL and some say you dont.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure the NYSP put incorrect information in the dealer handout because that's what they want people to do. Every FFL I know does transfers from individuals.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm sure the NYSP put incorrect information in the dealer handout because that's what they want people to do. Every FFL I know does transfers from individuals.
View Quote

Keep in mind many "Laws" are strongly worded suggestions.  
There are no penalties for carrying a handgun outside a Judges restrictions. Sure there are administrative sanctions and actions that could be implemented, but the SP aren't going to haul you to Jail for carrying a legal and lawful Handgun on your person in an otherwise non-prohibited place just because it says "Hunting and Target only"  
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are no penalties for carrying a handgun outside a Judges restrictions. Sure there are administrative sanctions and actions that could be implemented, but the SP aren't going to haul you to Jail for carrying a legal and lawful Handgun on your person in an otherwise non-prohibited place just because it says "Hunting and Target only"  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT, your issuing Judge can revoke you and Appeals Courts have upheld the Judges discretion in such cases.  Only you can decide your level of comfortable risk.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BUT, your issuing Judge can revoke you and Appeals Courts have upheld the Judges discretion in such cases.  Only you can decide your level of comfortable risk.
View Quote

True as the statement "Better Judged by 12 than carried by six."  It's all in the amount of risk you're willing to take.  
Really, you'd have to be involved in an incident where the fact you were carrying a handgun came into play, and even then its questionable as to if it goes to the Judges attention; concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The problem is the laws suck and no one can give you a straight interpretation, so if you're a dealer and have spent the time, energy and expensive of becoming one and building a business, you know accepting guns from other FFLs is always kosher, you just tell people to always do that.

Right or wrong, that extra $20 out of your pocket doesn't cost them anything, but to them, saving you $20 may cost them their business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top