Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 5:11:09 PM EDT
My oldest daughter started EMT school to help her get into Medical School.  She's entering her senior year of HS already accepted into a pre-med program.  The EMT is to help her get into MED school as they like to see the effort applied in some type of health care prior to acceptance.  Having said that, my baby girl will finish the course in December and wants to work in the city (Syracuse, NY). She's just like her Dad and has to be where the action is, but don't tell her that.  Having said that, I'd like to know what level of armor you police officers, EMT's, and firefighters wear.  

She's Daddy's little gal, so please let me know so I can buy it for her.

ETA: Moving this to GD
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IIa.  She is going to want something light.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Colleges usually have a ambulance program that helps with the course fee and gives a credit and then a job while at school.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You might wait until she knows what company she'll be working for to see if they have any specific requirements.  I have an external vest that I wear on duty, so that I can take it off if I'm sitting around the station.  Some companies make external carriers that are designed to look just like a uniform shirt.

Also, I have a III-A, yes it's heavier and thicker than a II-A or II, but you should also consider blunt trauma even if the bullet doesn't penetrate.

FWIW, I got my vest on Ebay.  There are a lot of counterfeits and junk there, but I looked at some of the major manufacturer websites at their lists of authorized dealers, and found many authorized dealers selling in-stock vests on Ebay a lot cheaper than going to a local cop shop and having to special order a vest my size.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't...I know of a couple EMT;s that do...but they are few and far between.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I wore IIA when I did EMS.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a plate carrier set up with 3+ should an active shooter or act of violence get dispatched, but I am in a rural area and dont wear it often. You should check out Spartan Armor Systems, they are great and will get her all set up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think I would worry about this at the moment but I understand.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know of any firefighters who wear armor. I know quite a few, including myself, who carry a gun though.

Armor under turnout gear would contribute to death via heat stroke or heart attack, which is a much more likely scenario than getting shot at.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't...I know of a couple EMT;s that do...but they are few and far between.
View Quote

I have it, but very very seldom wear it on calls; if we have a situation (mass casualty-active shooter) then I'm wearing it going in, else we let LE clear everything before we even roll up.
Given her being "new" I'd expect them dept. to kind of hold her back before allowing her to be exposed to high-risk situations.....that said, several years back a sister Squad lost a member to some guy with a rifle that just decided to shoot the next person to walk through the door, after he called for an ambulance....no real rhyme or reason, just shot him.  
http://www.firehero.org/fallen-firefighter/mark-b-davis/
The idea of things like this only happening in the big cities is false; granted there's a much higher chance given the population to call ratio, there's more chance of getting hit by a asshole on the highway too important to slow down, put down his phone, or pay attention to where he's going than being involved in gunfire.  Roll the dice, take your chances....knock wood, in 20 years of EMS, nothings gotten me yet.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know of any firefighters who wear armor. I know quite a few, including myself, who carry a gun though.

Armor under turnout gear would contribute to death via heat stroke or heart attack, which is a much more likely scenario than getting shot at.
View Quote

Not a FF, but I think Bill is right. You have to think about what the most likely threat is, and adjust off that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
You can go through a point blank rep which you can find if you have any shop geared toward first responders. 800 in change for a IIA vest with carrier. No tax in NY for first responders buying such items.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to say, I've never in my life seen an EMT wear body armor and the EMTs that serve my city also serve one of the biggest little shit holes in the state. They stage until the scene is secure. That said, I guess from this thread a lot of guys are doing it. I'm pretty happy with my point blank and their endeavor outer carrier is sweet. Also, I wouldn't buy a IIA. Not that long ago I read that they might drop that level from the NIJ standard entirely (I was reading up on it because it's what we were being issued that year with an option to upgrade on your own dime). Level II seems to be a good balance... I hope.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have to say, I've never in my life seen an EMT wear body armor and the EMTs that serve my city also serve one of the biggest little shit holes in the state. They stage until the scene is secure. That said, I guess from this thread a lot of guys are doing it. I'm pretty happy with my point blank and their endeavor outer carrier is sweet. Also, I wouldn't buy a IIA. Not that long ago I read that they might drop that level from the NIJ standard entirely (I was reading up on it because it's what we were being issued that year with an option to upgrade on your own dime). Level II seems to be a good balance... I hope.
View Quote

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top