Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2016 5:17:12 PM EDT
I have searched both this forum and for general internet searches and i am still confused.

What is there definition of a gravity knife?

From the sound of it I can not carry any of my common benchmades and spydercos.

So what am I allowed to carry in NYC and the surrounding areas?

I have to go to governors Island for 6 days would there be an extra restrictions there?

If pocket knives are not allowed is pepper spray?

Thank you guys for any advice you can give me.

NoKarma
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Is that now in place I could not tell..
I am from Californian so i am used to lawmakers not being clear with what we are allowed to do and ignoring any court rulings they do not like.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If it can by opened by holding the handle and swinging the blade out or by holding the blade and swinging the handle away from it AND it locks open, it's a gravity knife and illegal.

You can carry fixed blade knives of under 4 inches (can't be sharpened on both sides i.e. a dagger)... I also recommend choosing one that isn't super scary...
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Carry your knife in a fashion where the clip is not visible on the outside of your pocket.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Carry your knife in a fashion where the clip is not visible on the outside of your pocket.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The law was just recently changed, but most cops in NYC have no clue about that. You will still get stopped. I am a Fed in NYC and have been approached about the clip on my pocket more than once in the past few months. NYPD doesn't do such a good job about updating officers on things like law and things that are now legal...

If they can open the knife one handed in any way shape or form and the blade locks, to them its illegal.

And for straight blades, the law says 4", but cops don't carry rulers... I would keep it closer to 3" or under

Play it safe, if you need to carry a knife, carry something that doesn't lock like a Swiss army knife or a simple schrade.

Any spyderco, benchmade or anything that clips to your pocket is going to get noticed and will be a hassle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NYPD doesn't do such a good job about updating officers on things like law and things that are now legal.
View Quote

Actually NYPD's Legal Bureau usually puts out the info immediately, the problem is that most cops there don't give a shit and don't read the bulletins from the Legal Bureau.

Even when it's something big and the department requires it to be read numerous times at roll call most guys don't pay attention. When LEOSA passed the Legal Bureau required their bulletin on it's passage to be read at roll call for 10 days straight. Years after it's passage we still had cops who had no idea what it was.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The law was just recently changed, but most cops in NYC have no clue about that. You will still get stopped. I am a Fed in NYC and have been approached about the clip on my pocket more than once in the past few months. NYPD doesn't do such a good job about updating officers on things like law and things that are now legal...

If they can open the knife one handed in any way shape or form and the blade locks, to them its illegal.

And for straight blades, the law says 4", but cops don't carry rulers... I would keep it closer to 3" or under

Play it safe, if you need to carry a knife, carry something that doesn't lock like a Swiss army knife or a simple schrade.

Any spyderco, benchmade or anything that clips to your pocket is going to get noticed and will be a hassle.
View Quote

The law was NOT recently changed - the NYS assembly and NYS senate passed a bill last month revising the penal law definitions of gravity knives.  There were several news articles published about this topic which were misleading, suggesting the change in the law was now in effect.  Of course, the authors were better in college at journalism and writing than political science - since it has not been signed by the governor (he can choose to veto), it is not yet law.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Any suggestions for a fixed blade that would fit nicely in a suit jacket inside pocket or discreetly on a belt in the rear?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top