Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[11]

He met NONE of the provisions. Whilst I feel that CCW and firearms ownership should be recognized as a driver's license is, it isn't yet. Thus, we have the above. Seems a fairly simple procedure to follow. I mean who doesn't know NY is enemy territory?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Is sad many people dont outside and inside of NYS..  I don't miss NYS at all the freedoms of the south out way the beauty of NYS.. Amazing how a state could be so messed up due to bs politicians but welcome to NYS its open for business
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[11]

He met NONE of the provisions. Whilst I feel that CCW and firearms ownership should be recognized as a driver's license is, it isn't yet. Thus, we have the above. Seems a fairly simple procedure to follow. I mean who doesn't know NY is enemy territory?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Erm timeout.

Please define container.

I'd like to point out that nowhere in FOPA does the law clearly define what a container, is.

Is a container a bag? If it is a bag, who doesn't carry an AR in a rifle bag, in the very least?

Can you prove it wasn't locked?

A locked rifle bag is still, a container.

I've heard of officers not considering a rifle bag a container but, it is by it's very definition a container.

con·tain·er
k?n'tan?r/
noun
noun: container; plural noun: containers

an object that can be used to hold or transport something.

FOPA is FOPA. If I conform to FOPA while traveling through another state, those state laws cannot individually or otherwise supersede FOPA...

The issue at hand is NYSP's FREQUENTLY choose to define FOPA to fit their own agendas. Historically this is true. That in at of itself is the entire issue here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Erm timeout.

Please define container.

I'd like to point out that nowhere in FOPA does the law clearly define what a container, is.

Is a container a bag? If it is a bag, who doesn't carry an AR in a rifle bag, in the very least?

I've heard of officers not considering a rifle bag a container but, it is by it's very definition a container.

FOPA is FOPA. If I conform to FOPA while traveling through another state, those state laws cannot individually or otherwise supersede FOPA...

The issue at hand is NYSP's FREQUENTLY choose to define FOPA to fit their own agendas. Historically this is true. That in at of itself is the entire issue here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Erm timeout.

Please define container.

con·tain·er
k?n'tan?r/
noun
noun: container; plural noun: containers

an object that can be used to hold or transport something.

Actually the NYSP is strictly advised that FOPA WILL be recognized, thank you for your CT interpretation. The issue with this gentleman was that he was NOT in compliance in any way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]
With what has come to light, I dont think the weapons charges are his problems. It is the DWI. Once it goes to trial the weapons charges will get greatly reduced or dropped under FOPA, or general ignorance.  Then will have to deal with the DWI. The DWI is inexcusable. Never be anywhere around a Motor vehicle, Boat, ATV, Motorcycle, after a few, they love to jam you up for that. If you can get to the keys, they figure, you are going to drive it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
regardless hes foooked and this might be a career ending situation for him.

He will be able to become part of the FSA and live off the taxpayers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Actually the NYSP is strictly advised that FOPA WILL be recognized, thank you for your CT interpretation. The issue with this gentleman was that he was NOT in compliance in any way.
View Quote

Live on the CT/NY border. Instruct in both CT/NY and PA. Sorry for the skepticism but, first hand experiences combined with other instructors/individuals, constantly experiencing the exact opposite, reinforce that the NYSP do not care about FOPA.

Again, evidence? Was the AR in a rifle bag? We don't know...Were the ammunition/magazines in a separate "container"? Again, we don't know.

I can advise a cow to quack like a duck but, until you prove otherwise, a duck is a duck is a duck or, in this case, a cow is a cow is a cow.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Live on the CT/NY border. Instruct in both CT/NY and PA. Sorry for the skepticism but, first hand experiences combined with other instructors/individuals, constantly experiencing the exact opposite, reinforce that the NYSP do not care about FOPA.

Again, evidence? Was the AR in a rifle bag? We don't know...Were the ammunition/magazines in a separate "container"? Again, we don't know.

I can advise a cow to quack like a duck but, until you prove otherwise, a duck is a duck is a duck or, in this case, a cow is a cow is a cow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Actually the NYSP is strictly advised that FOPA WILL be recognized, thank you for your CT interpretation. The issue with this gentleman was that he was NOT in compliance in any way.

The guy was drunk as a skunk with a loaded handgun in plain sight on the front seat.  Do you claim FOPA covers that?  Get a freaking clue and stop being an apologist for a complete dumbass!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:The guy was drunk as a skunk with a loaded handgun in plain sight on the front seat.  Do you claim FOPA covers that?  Get a freaking clue and stop being an apologist for a complete dumbass!
View Quote

Evidence?

That's all I've asked for the entire time.

I provided you with a situation that's specifically an issue in NY...Even per the NRA...Because the NYSP define "container" differently than the dictionary.

You then, shot back, essentially claiming "You know nothing about NY since you're not from NY" even though I do 75% of my instructing, in NY...So that was a waste of time.

I retorted, again asking for evidence...And here we are.

Everyone claims to have a different level of insight about the case...People from Sig say XYZ...NYSP say XY...People that know him say X...Where's the evidence?

Hell, even had a conversation about this with an Armorer from Albany not but 2 hours ago that says ZYX happened...Because "that's how I heard it"...

Until the arrest report actually surfaces - The guy is innocent until proven guilty just like everyone else...Because you know, that's the way it actually should be.

Unlike you, I'm not willing to make an assumption over a situation that I've literally now heard 6 different ways...But, to each their own.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Evidence?

I provided you with a situation that's specifically an issue in NY...Even per the NRA...Because the NYSP define "container" differently than the dictionary.

You then, shot back, essentially claiming "You know nothing about NY since you're not from NY" even though I do 75% of my instructing, in NY...So that was a waste of time.

Everyone claims to have a different level of insight about the case...People from Sig say XYZ...NYSP say XY...People that know him say X...Where's the evidence?

Hell, even had a conversation about this with an Armorer from Albany not but 2 hours ago that says ZYX happened...Because "that's how I heard it"...

Until the arrest report actually surfaces - The guy is innocent until proven guilty just like everyone else...Because you know, that's the way it actually should be.

Unlike you, I'm not willing to make an assumption over a situation that I've literally now heard 6 different ways...But, to each their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:The guy was drunk as a skunk with a loaded handgun in plain sight on the front seat.  Do you claim FOPA covers that?  Get a freaking clue and stop being an apologist for a complete dumbass!

Evidence?

I have not responded to you previously in this thread and I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the NYSP.  Get your shit together, if this is the quality of your instruction I pity your students.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:I have not responded to you previously in this thread and I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the NYSP.  Get your shit together, if this is the quality of your instruction I pity your students.
View Quote

Posted from the phone - Was a simple misunderstanding...Apologies...Guess I struck a nerve, though...I think you should rename yourself HRC though, since you are both clearly struggling with competency.

Never said you were NYSP - I stated I've spoken to several officers. Spoken to an armorer as well - Everyone has a different story. In fact, my statement says that I, ME, spoke to them and I, ME, did...So...Revisiting the 5th grade may be in your future.

If you hear 6 different stories from "authorities" about the same situation...and nobody in here can provide evidence...Evidence that even corroborates half of the bullshit swirling around, than it'd be very stupid to come to a conclusion and/or pass judgement, wouldn't it?

Got my shit together...I pity fools that rush to judge others based on bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Evidence?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Evidence?

Evidence is reserved for the courts. You, unfortunately, have no right to it. As far as the "story" I cannot go into the particulars for the very reason that they, too, are reserved for the court. I'm not talking to people who heard X, XY or even XYZ. My conversations, which will remain confidential until they no longer have to be, are not with anyone "hearing" anything. He screwed up.

As to the other aspect of your argument, it sounds strikingly like the definition of 'is'.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Official NYHTF H.A.M. thread.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Official NYHTF H.A.M. thread.

View Quote
You have spent way too much time in general bro!

I didnt mean to start up crap, I just didnt like that I donated cash and wasnt told the truth. I hate drunks behind the wheel.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top