Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Never be the nail that sticks up!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The state police must be so proud.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
So what exactly was not compliant about the rifles?

Is this just convenient timing with the sudden gun control debate ongoing right now - Something for Prince Andrew to point to and go " I put crooked arms dealer in jail" and Safe Act works??

I was in that shop many times and the AR rifles they had in the shop were either for LEO only or SAFE Act neutered - but was it a matter they weren't done "correctly" or??

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Why wasn't schneiderman investigating skelos and silver instead?    Sounds like corruption within NYSAG office.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I think there was a lot of stuff that gun shops did that was shady that they would have gotten away with before the SAFE Act. Now that NO 30 rounders are legal, it makes the cops jobs far easier. No more wishy washy about pre-ban etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think there was a lot of stuff that gun shops did that was shady that they would have gotten away with before the SAFE Act. Now that NO 30 rounders are legal, it makes the cops jobs far easier. No more wishy washy about pre-ban etc.
View Quote

I think there was a lot of stuff that Jackson's did before the safe act that was shady.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm really pissed off about the use of the term "assault weapon" by wham 13 and other media when describing AR's and similiar firearms.

They are NOT assault weapons dumbasses!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
What is it about the 100 rifles sold that put this on the SP's radar?

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Looks like it. That was the case where people were called and asked to bring the rifles in for inspection IIRC. Lot of people were shocked the state was able to track down their purchases quick.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]

"New York has enacted some of the toughest, most sensible gun safety laws in the country, and with today's charges, we are sending a message that these laws will be vigorously enforced," said Attorney General Schneiderman.

NY can go to fucking hell and burn
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep. Looks like it. That was the case where people were called and asked to bring the rifles in for inspection IIRC. Lot of people were shocked the state was able to track down their purchases quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the sound of things, the ATF called up the SP and said "look what we got for you"
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember being a vendor at several gun shows in Rochester and Syracuse after SAFE passed.  Jackson's never stopped selling AR's.  He jumped all over the "compliant" parts like Thordson stocks, Spurs, maglocks, modified bullet buttons, etc etc you get the point.  I remember thinking, man that is brave.  I for one was not risking my freedom or the freedom of some poor schlub who didn't now any better and was dying to buy an AR because he didn't own one before SAFE.

It is correct that the law was not clear and still is not clear.  Y'all haven't seen the end of this.  He won't be the only FFL to go down this road.  Maybe this will be the test case for SAFE, maybe it won't.  I feel bad for anyone that bought one of those so called compliant rifles.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree that it's total bullshit to go after people who at least tried to comply with this dogshit Right infringing unSAFE Act but, did everyone miss the part of the report that read the search warrant served on Perkins' for his home where they "...discovered dozens more illegal high-capacity ammunition feeding devices, four assault rifles, dozens of cartons of untaxed cigarettes, numerous strips of suboxone packaged for resale and approximately $25,000 in cash."? Either the media got details way wrong yet again (which would not surprise anyone) or there's something else besides running his legal LGS business going on. It would not be a very smart idea to keep inventory at your home (if that's what was claimed about the so-called high capacity magazines).

The article also mentions charges regarding "...and two counts of felony manufacture, transport, disposition and defacement of weapons and dangerous instruments and appliances." While this charge could simply be where they put the believed-compliance parts on the rifles they sold thinking they were modified appropriately, the part in red above might actually be modified for selective fire/automatic rifles. Though, with the way this article goes back and forth between calling them assault rifles and assault weapons, probably not.

Either way, with all that cash on hand, the drugs, the dozens of cartons of untaxed cigarettes, this had to be something more than an innocent guy running a small business.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]

After reading that, they're fucked. No way in hell you could make a majority of those weapons SAFE compliant.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Did he try to make the rifles compliant or did he sell them without modification?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#18]
For anything that was not legal ever in NYS... I would understand loosing it to the crusher. BUT will any of those folks that may have believed they were doing a legal transaction with this shop, see their property again? After the trial, would they be allowed to transfer the "illegal" guns to a FFL for conversion to SAFE Act compliant pieces or for sale out of state.

Stay tuned....
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For anything that was not legal ever in NYS... I would understand loosing it to the crusher. BUT will any of those folks that may have believed they were doing a legal transaction with this shop, see their property again? After the trial, would they be allowed to transfer the "illegal" guns to a FFL for conversion to SAFE Act compliant pieces or for sale out of state.

Stay tuned....
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did he try to make the rifles compliant or did he sell them without modification?
View Quote

my understanding is they were sold unmodified. If you look at the dates of sale most of them were in early 2013, the thorsden stock didn't even exist at that point as far as I know.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

my understanding is they were sold unmodified. If you look at the dates of sale most of them were in early 2013, the thorsden stock didn't even exist at that point as far as I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So not really an un-SAFE violation, just more hype for the Princess to proclaim how awesome she is?  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So not really an un-SAFE violation, just more hype for the Princess to proclaim how awesome she is?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was selling pre-SAFE guns after the safe act passed without making them "compliant"
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He was selling pre-SAFE guns after the safe act passed without making them "compliant"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for him. Too bad I couldn't be on the jury, I'd go for nullification.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Actually he was shut down by the ATF.  In December 2014 they revoked his license and ordered him to close both of his stores.   His record keeping was really shoddy.  Originally more than 200 firearms were unaccounted for.   Many of them have been tracked down.  In some cases he could not even prove that a NICS check had been performed.  It does not involve just so called assault weapons but a lot of different firearm sales.  

The ATF spokesman for NY as quoted in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle:   "It was probably on of the worst dealers we have seen over the years, in terms of record -keeping under federal law.  I don't want to say it was nefarious, but I would say he was certainly indifferent to, and disregarded, federal law."
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actually he was shut down by the ATF.  In December 2014 they revoked his license and ordered him to close both of his stores.   His record keeping was really shoddy.  Originally more than 200 firearms were unaccounted for.   Many of them have been tracked down.  In some cases he could not even prove that a NICS check had been performed.  It does not involve just so called assault weapons but a lot of different firearm sales.  

The ATF spokesman for NY as quoted in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle:   "It was probably on of the worst dealers we have seen over the years, in terms of record -keeping under federal law.  I don't want to say it was nefarious, but I would say he was certainly indifferent to, and disregarded, federal law."
View Quote

I wonder if they used this guy for fast and furious also ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm really pissed off about the use of the term "assault weapon" by wham 13 and other media when describing AR's and similiar firearms.

They are NOT assault weapons dumbasses!
View Quote

While I agree with both post above, this argument is outdated, weak and invalid as far as the libtards go.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's not "gun violence" either but they find the term convenient to advance their anti gun agenda

They don't use the terms: Muslim violence, illegal alien violence or mental illness violence "because very few Muslims and mentally ill people are violent" (their reasoning),but apparently that reasoning doesn't apply to people who murder multiple innocents with a gun
View Quote

Apparently all it takes is "one" of the very few to make the sheep huddle together, hoping a sheepdog will show up......but that's different.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone who bought a rifle from him, should have stripped it down to the receiver when the police started asking about them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad the only thing I got from him post-unSAFE was my Mosin Nagant.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone who bought a rifle from him, should have stripped it down to the receiver when the police started asking about them.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

You really should have sold it through a FFl and keep all the paperwork laminated, in triplicate, digital copies online, posted on your door.  CYA, they are on a witch hunt here.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

The customers that bought these "non-compliant" rifles from Jackson's probably were unaware of the illegality of said rifles under the safe act.  They probably had no idea that the rifles would be confiscated upon state police inspection.  When buying from a gun store, most people assume that they are buying a legal rifle.  IMHO, that makes Jackson's conduct unconscionable.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sure if you want them to get a warrant to kick in your door and arrest you for possessing an assault rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure if you want them to get a warrant to kick in your door and arrest you for possessing an assault rifle.

How is a stripped lower an "assault rifle" in NY? It has exactly zero components... Fuck NY. I hope kordell gets a 2a friendly jury, even if he gets wrecked on the federal shit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It was an illegal assault weapon when they bought it. There's a paper trail showing that they bought bushmaster serial number 12346, they have records showing that 123456 had a collapsible stock when it was shipped, I doubt the FFl has any proof he modified it or would even testify for the buyer since he has his own legal problems  

just because you took it home and took it apart doesn't mean they can't charge you for possessing it the day before as an assault weapon (not saying they would bother) I suppose you could claim you took it apart in the store etc etc blah blah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is a stripped lower an "assault rifle" in NY? It has exactly zero components... Fuck NY. I hope kordell gets a 2a friendly jury, even if he gets wrecked on the federal shit.
It was an illegal assault weapon when they bought it. There's a paper trail showing that they bought bushmaster serial number 12346, they have records showing that 123456 had a collapsible stock when it was shipped, I doubt the FFl has any proof he modified it or would even testify for the buyer since he has his own legal problems  

just because you took it home and took it apart doesn't mean they can't charge you for possessing it the day before as an assault weapon (not saying they would bother) I suppose you could claim you took it apart in the store etc etc blah blah

The mental gymnastics are astounding. I feel bad for you guys up there. I had dealings with Kordell, and when I talked to him, he really bitched up a storm about the safe act. Super nice dude though. Tried to sell me an old school AR 180 a few years ago just before the safe act became final law, but I declined since the wifey wouldn't have approved. Should have snatched it up .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top