Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2016 10:23:16 AM EDT
Once this chemo shit is over with I really want to buy a kayak, I'm looking for something at least 12' long and designed for fishing.    I'll do a bit of leisurely paddling too but it will be primarily a fishing kayak.    

Anyone have any recommendations?     Places to buy from?   I'd like to skip the bigger stores, i know there is a shop a few miles from me in camillus but i think he doesnt sell fishing kayaks.

Also I'll need buddies to go fishing with
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
West Marine had a decent one for sale, but it went off sale Monday.

Craigs List may be your best bet, because they're often sold with upgraded seats and paddle (very important, and expensive).    There's one on CL Finger Lakes right now for $400, but no other details.   There's a  nice 10 footer w/ upgrades in Penn Yan $665 (note: seller wants a 12 footer so let that be a lesson)

The big sporting goods stores do run good sales come Fall.  

If you do buy retail, you will want to buy a better seat and a better paddle, figure $100+ each.

You can buy the roof racks off CL any time.

I've observed that fishing kayak people are a unique lot;  they're not boaters, and they're not fishermen, they're kayakfishermen.  Your best bet is to get one and you'll run into other kayak fishermen.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my elcheapo kayak and a fishing rod I'm good to go

I mostly drink beer and float around hoping to catch something.

I will say my sit in is a pain in the ass to fish with but it works for now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never actually used a sit on top kayak but I think that is what will work best for fishing, I'm assuming that is why they are so popular now.   There are a lot of places that I want to get into with a kayak.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone who knows what they're talking about (like on kayak fishing forums) will tell you to find a place that rents them and paddle a few.

I of course didn't do that. lol  I made my AK47 NY compliant by selling it and spending the money on a Malibu Stealth 14 (a blem, so it cost about 50% of regular retail), buying it online.  It's a big old barge, but I'm a big tub of goo, so that's what I needed. Been very happy with it. SOT is definitely the way to go for fishing. I sit normal, or legs bent, legs folded, sideways with my feet in the water, I can even lay down on mine. and theoretically I could stand up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
my wife and i purchased two of these about 5 years ago... http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/fishing/vapor_10_angler/

well made and have stood up to the test of time... The only thing i would is add a skirt if its really choppy out but it handles it pretty well. We were in pa at one of the lakes and there was white caps on the water due to the wind.. Never had an issue with the kayak cutting through it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
For me the priorities are:  stability, comfortable seat, ease of paddling. Fishing setup can be done easily on just about any kayak.

Try to find a good local shop and try out the kayaks that appeal to you. Everyone says to do this, and I didn't. I made a trade and came home with a Jackson Coosa. A great kayak for running rivers, but I don't do much of that. Turned out to be a lousy choice for me. I ended up with a Jackson Tripper 12 that I set up for fishing. It's what they call a "hybrid" kayak, it's technically a sit in, but is wide open on top. It's very stable, paddles great, and is great for me and my uses (fishing small lakes). I'm also using it for a form of exercise for my bad back.

The Tripper or any other hybrid kayak would not be a good choice for big water, like the ocean or huge lakes. Too easy for a wave to swamp it.. That's where the sit on top kayak is really the only choice.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the 12' Field and Stream Eagle run sit in from Dicks. Got it on sale 2 years ago for $350. Added a rod holder to the front, trolley anchor and a few other things. I use it 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours at a time in local lakes. Works well and is light enough I can throw it on the top of my SUV without too much effort. One lake is 80 covered in weeds/lily pads etc. No boats can get through it but this thing just glides right through it. Gets to places no boats can.

I'd like to try a sit on top because I think it would make casting and landing fish a bit easier. Seats on some look a bit more comfortable as well. Just not sure about skupper holes in cold weather/water. I am usually am out early and late in the year and getting wet doesn't sound that great. There are a few that the seats are elevated or you could try skupper plugs.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Paddle & Power in Owego has a test pond. Worth the drive.

I fished from a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 120. Stability was fine.

*Avoid* sit-ons. They're the devil.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my wife and i purchased two of these about 5 years ago... http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/fishing/vapor_10_angler/

well made and have stood up to the test of time... The only thing i would is add a skirt if its really choppy out but it handles it pretty well. We were in pa at one of the lakes and there was white caps on the water due to the wind.. Never had an issue with the kayak cutting through it.
View Quote

That's the same one I bought after doing a LOT of research,

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hobie mirage drive
Embrace the pain of the cost
It's worth it
If you seriously plan to fish from your kayak, this should be about your only consideration
View Quote

Fishing will be the main activity

Thanks for the info guys, gives me something to research.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Mountainman Outdoors in Old Forge has a large selection and last I knew let you try them out before you bought.  I've been eyeing some of the Native or NuCanoe kayaks for hunting and fishing out of after reading another thread on here a while back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mountainman Outdoors in Old Forge has a large selection and last I knew let you try them out before you bought.  I've been eyeing some of the Native or NuCanoe kayaks for hunting and fishing out of after reading another thread on here a while back.
View Quote

I did think about driving up there one weekend once i dont feel like death.    In all honestly i doubt i'll be getting on this year, but that gives me awhile to try out and research before i buy
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an Old Town Predator 13. It's a little heavy but it is a great kayak to fish from. Because it's so heavy it can be a chore to load and unload and hang back on the garage wall when done. It's stable enough to stand up in and the seat is like a very comfortable lawn chair. The Predator 13 isn't the cheapest kayak out there but for all the features it was worth it for me. It even has a scupper hole with a recessed area for your fish finders transducer. The Predator MX is a little cheaper but its also shorter and you lose the center storage between your legs.  I have no problem keeping up with my friends with narrower sit in kayaks and it tracks well. If you come into the Rochester area I'd be willing to let you take mine for a paddle and see if you like it. Check out www.austinkayak.com for your kayak needs. Great knowledgeable customer service and free shipping on their boats.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I did think about driving up there one weekend once i dont feel like death.    In all honestly i doubt i'll be getting on this year, but that gives me awhile to try out and research before i buy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know, I will join you for that trip.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had my Hurricane Aquasports Phoenix 140 for 10 years and could not be happier.   Very stable SOT and had The Dinghy Shop in Amityville (sorry, I know thats nowhere near) put 2 rodholders behind  me and as Scottie in front.  Buy the accessories there and they install for free, or at least they did.  I fish the Great South Bay (Lawnguyland) and usually catch more than on my 18' Sea Pro which hardly gets used anymore.   There are several decisions to make on a yak, the primary thing for me was the lowest weight for a 14'.   I put mine on top of the TracRac on my p/u and thus have to lift and slide the beast a bit.  I am 5'8" 160 lbs and get my Medicare card next month so weight does matter.   The Phoenix is not made of that crummy plastic like most of the yaks at Dicks but a shiny smooth plastic that is still quite tough.   I doubt you will find one used, no one sells them once they get one.  Another decision is color.   I opted for the brightest that shows up on the bay, and that is yellow, with chartreuse or orange a close second.   the bottom is white so the fish probably just see it as a cloud.  sometimes I hop off to go clamming in the flats.   try that with one of those eskimo sit-ins, lol.   Some may say that the sit in is better for colder weather.   I just took mine out today with the water temperature at 59.   Its a yak, you will get wet, whether from paddle spray or launching.   Out for more than a couple of hours ?   Make sure the SOT has a scupper just in front of the seat, if you get my drift, no pun intended.  
Good luck with the chemo, I got away easy last summer with prostate cancer, just getting radiated 45 times instead.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Myself, wifey, and our 2 boys went over to OF this past Sunday for Paddlefest.  We each paid $20 to try out a bunch of different kayaks. SOT and sit in. Had a blast. Wife bought a Wilderness Pungo 120. I liked the Perceptor Pescador Angler 120. A lot. It's a SOT. Very stable. And very comfortable.  But it was back ordered until the end of July. The people at waterside were super helpful too. Can't wait to try kayak fishing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I want to see you hook up a King at the TOP of staircase while you are in the paddle boat.  I'll bring a HD video camera and beers for recovery. I'll give you a few of my GoPros for "POV" angles.  It'll be spectacular!  We'll post it to YouTube and be famous I tell ya!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Biggest consideration for me is being able to peddle with both hands free to fish etc
View Quote

I've been eying them up, lots of ocean guys seem to use them, i doubt i'll be buying one any time soon, between chemo and my wife having a kid soon i need to watch how much money i blow.    

Maybe in a year or two
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]
If you hit the lottery get a motorized kayak, the Mokai   http://www.mokai.com/    I've seen one, and they are really cool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you hit the lottery get a motorized kayak, the Mokai   http://www.mokai.com/    I've seen one, and they are really cool.
View Quote

Too loud, i want quiet.  

They are cool for cruising but way way too loud
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Fish, I sent you a PM
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll drive to Old Forge any time. If you have the coin.....Jackson is it. Big Tuna for the win.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Biggest consideration for me is being able to peddle with both hands free to fish etc
View Quote

If I wanted to peddle, I would ride my bike. But I don't. So I don't.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do much casting from the bike ?
View Quote

Is trolling for dudes casting?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I have. Shooting too. Good times.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Years ago I mounted a trolling motor on a Perception Acadia 12' sit-in kayak. I made a bracket to hold the motor and and installed rod holders on the front deck. I had a few other customizations including hooks to hold the paddle parallel to the boat when I want using it so it was out of the way. I also made a small downrigger system. It had a fish finder and some other accessories.

The tricky part was figuring out batteries since standard marine batteries are big as heavy. I ended up finding smaller wheelchair/tractor deep cycle batteries.

It was nice to be hands-free and spend a few hours trolling. Got divorced and the boat got sold.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#30]
costco has what, according to reviews on the net, is a pretty good fishing kayak.  

annnnnd fathers day is just around the corner
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top