Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2016 11:32:52 AM EDT
That's a lot of new owners. Unfortunately not all will be supporters of our rights. Eg: my liberal minded, Hillary supporting bil. He claims there's no effort to take away our rights. Fud, fud fud all the way.

http://13wham.com/news/special-reports/pistol-permit-applications-soar

Rochester, N.Y. - In the last six months, more than 1,800 people applied for a pistol permit in Monroe County.

That number is nearly 70 percent higher than the average for the same six months over the last six years.

It's an increase that Demario Brantley, a lecturer of sociology at Monroe Community College, is not surprised to see.

"What's happening if we look at the data we can identify a few populations - women, minorities - and then we also see the elderly as well as a part of the concealed carry permit increase," said Brantley. "People are starting to warm up to the idea of having a gun."

Brantley explains that trends in American society, like violent movies, music, and television shows, all impact how people react and change.

"We see the media as an agent of socialization which means they kind of help us to understand ourselves and our position, understand the culture and the kind of the nation that we live in," said Brantley.

The upcoming election is also playing a role in in the climbing numbers, and both sides - including Democrats - are causing those numbers to tick up.

"It is having an opposite impact," said Brantley. "Democrats generally have the ideology that we need to focus on gun control and having stricter laws, but we are seeing is that the idea of having stricter laws isn't necessarily resonating with the reality that some residents are having in the community."

Stephen Aldatadt, President of the 2nd Amendment Defense Organization SCOPE, believes people are concerned their rights are being, or will be, infringed on.

"Every time we see something, every time a president comes out about adding more restrictions, we see the sales of fire arms go up again," said Aldstadt. "People feel threatened they feel like they have to do it now or they won't be able to."

"What we do see is an increase in people feeling we should protect those rights instead of gun control," said Brantley. "This is the first time we've ever seen that in research, where people feel we need to focus more on protecting those right verses gun control all together."

Women are also impacting these numbers. More women than ever are deciding now is the time to become gun owners.

"I think a lot more women are getting into shooting sports now which drives a lot of it," said Alstadt.

According to Brantley, women now make up 25 percent of new permit holders. Although men are still more likely to have a concealed carry permit.

Brantley believes safety has a lot to do with their choice to own a gun.

"More people are probably identifying for a need for guns and their attitudes towards guns are also changing," said Brantley.

Pew Research found the attitude of gun owners in general has shifted.

In the late 1990s, more people said they owned a gun for hunting, now more people say they own a gun for protection.

"We're seeing a shift in cultural trends," said Brantley.

RELATED STORIES:

Wayne County Sheriff makes changes to cover surge in pistol permits
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Any registered Democrat should be refused a permit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a lot of very pro gun democrats who don't believe that transgenders should be burned at the stake, corporations should be in charge of our lives, creationism should be taught in schools, cops should have ultimate authority to kill whoever they want and any attempt to prevent pouring radioactive waste into the ocean is an attempt to destroy America by North Korean communists.  

I'd much rather some of them get guns than some republicans I know.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There are a lot of very pro gun democrats who don't believe that transgenders should be burned at the stake, corporations should be in charge of our lives, creationism should be taught in schools, cops should have ultimate authority to kill whoever they want and any attempt to prevent pouring radioactive waste into the ocean is an attempt to destroy America by North Korean communists.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have it on good authority that they can't kill whoever they want, as I understand it they merely have the authority to kill the minority.  A doctor told me that.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have it on good authority that they can't kill whoever they want, as I understand it they merely have the authority to kill the minority.  A doctor told me that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOLOL!

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Why doesn't ignore work on quotes
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's a lot of new owners. Unfortunately not all will be supporters of our rights. Eg: my liberal minded, Hillary supporting bil. He claims there's no effort to take away our rights. Fud, fud fud all the way.

http://13wham.com/news/special-reports/pistol-permit-applications-soar

Rochester, N.Y. - In the last six months, more than 1,800 people applied for a pistol permit in Monroe County.

That number is nearly 70 percent higher than the average for the same six months over the last six years.

It's an increase that Demario Brantley, a lecturer of sociology at Monroe Community College, is not surprised to see.

"What's happening if we look at the data we can identify a few populations - women, minorities - and then we also see the elderly as well as a part of the concealed carry permit increase," said Brantley. "People are starting to warm up to the idea of having a gun."

Brantley explains that trends in American society, like violent movies, music, and television shows, all impact how people react and change.

"We see the media as an agent of socialization which means they kind of help us to understand ourselves and our position, understand the culture and the kind of the nation that we live in," said Brantley.

The upcoming election is also playing a role in in the climbing numbers, and both sides - including Democrats - are causing those numbers to tick up.

"It is having an opposite impact," said Brantley. "Democrats generally have the ideology that we need to focus on gun control and having stricter laws, but we are seeing is that the idea of having stricter laws isn't necessarily resonating with the reality that some residents are having in the community."

Stephen Aldatadt, President of the 2nd Amendment Defense Organization SCOPE, believes people are concerned their rights are being, or will be, infringed on.

"Every time we see something, every time a president comes out about adding more restrictions, we see the sales of fire arms go up again," said Aldstadt. "People feel threatened they feel like they have to do it now or they won't be able to."

"What we do see is an increase in people feeling we should protect those rights instead of gun control," said Brantley. "This is the first time we've ever seen that in research, where people feel we need to focus more on protecting those right verses gun control all together."

Women are also impacting these numbers. More women than ever are deciding now is the time to become gun owners.

"I think a lot more women are getting into shooting sports now which drives a lot of it," said Alstadt.

According to Brantley, women now make up 25 percent of new permit holders. Although men are still more likely to have a concealed carry permit.

Brantley believes safety has a lot to do with their choice to own a gun.

"More people are probably identifying for a need for guns and their attitudes towards guns are also changing," said Brantley.

Pew Research found the attitude of gun owners in general has shifted.

In the late 1990s, more people said they owned a gun for hunting, now more people say they own a gun for protection.

"We're seeing a shift in cultural trends," said Brantley.
RELATED STORIES:

Wayne County Sheriff makes changes to cover surge in pistol permits
View Quote

liberal gun owners - there are no bigger fools.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a liberal conspiracy to violate your safe space.

Have you been triggered?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Democrats just want government in charge of everyone's life.  History shows that works real well.  Nice job on your other straw man arguments.  

I have yet to meet a democrat who is not hostile toward gun ownership, or limited taxation.  Democrats are excellent at turning everything they touch to shit though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Democrats just want government in charge of everyone's life.  History shows that works real well.  Nice job on your other straw man arguments.  

I have yet to meet a democrat who is not hostile toward gun ownership, or limited taxation.  Democrats are excellent at turning everything they touch to shit though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that's all true about most democrats. That's why I don't like them.

Unfortunately, it's also true about most republicans, and that's why I don't like them either.

Republicans are like, "I want mah freedums! Why ar u trying to take mah freedoms! Wait, look over there! See that guy, he's trying to marry another man! Quick! Stop him! I will tell you what marriage is supposed to be and you will listen! Screw your freedom, buddy! Only the freedoms I like matter! Holy crap! That hag is trying to murder the three week old clump of cells in her uterus! Jesus says that's a human being! Send in SWAT!" and democrats are like, "Why are you trying to take my freedoms?! Why can't I marry who I want and have reproductive control over my body! Wait! Wait! That guy has a GUN! Call in SWAT!"

And neither realizes that they are exactly the same person, just with different interests and priorities.

That's why I'm a libertarian, though not of the anarcho-capitalist lunatic variety.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes, that's all true about most democrats. That's why I don't like them.

Unfortunately, it's also true about most republicans, and that's why I don't like them either.

Republicans are like, "I want mah freedums! Why ar u trying to take mah freedoms! Wait, look over there! See that guy, he's trying to marry another man! Quick! Stop him! I will tell you what marriage is supposed to be and you will listen! Screw your freedom, buddy! Only the freedoms I like matter! Holy crap! That hag is trying to murder the three week old clump of cells in her uterus! Jesus says that's a human being! Send in SWAT!" and democrats are like, "Why are you trying to take my freedoms?! Why can't I marry who I want and have reproductive control over my body! Wait! Wait! That guy has a GUN! Call in SWAT!"

And neither realizes that they are exactly the same person, just with different interests and priorities.

That's why I'm a libertarian, though not of the anarcho-capitalist lunatic variety.

View Quote
+1

Bingo!  That is why I consider myself libertarian though registered independent.  I am not smart enough to tell other people how they should run their lives and I do not like them telling me how to.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Who did you ignore?

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who did you ignore?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who did you ignore?  

Me. He got tired of my anti-cop rants.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't  agree with libertarians about abortion.  Human life does begin at conception. You mention aborting a clump of cells but abortion is also done when the unborn are basically fully formed. Then there's partial birth abortion which is infanticide.  

Sorry to take this off the original topic.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't  agree with libertarians about abortion.  Human life does begin at conception. You mention aborting a clump of cells but abortion is also done when the unborn are basically fully formed. Then there's partial birth abortion which is infanticide.  

Sorry to take this off the original topic.
View Quote

There are two ways to look at arguments like this. Logical/rational and irrational. Irrational includes religious arguments such as "life begins at conception."  Technically, life begins when sperm and egg cells are formed. Life gets a little more complex when they combine. But human life? Scientifically speaking, human life begins when there is a functioning human brain. Logical arguments include, "Life begins at X weeks because that is the point at which there is a heart beat and detectable brain waves, therefore we should prohibit abortion at this point."

The reason I bring this up is that if you impose your values on someone in an irrational manner ("Life begins at conceptions because Jesus, for example), then you are no better than someone who says, "You shouldn't have guns because they scare me and are bad and evil and scary and bad! Ban them!"

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Molon Labe.  The End.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There are two ways to look at arguments like this. Logical/rational and irrational. Irrational includes religious arguments such as "life begins at conception."  Technically, life begins when sperm and egg cells are formed. Life gets a little more complex when they combine. But human life? Scientifically speaking, human life begins when there is a functioning human brain. Logical arguments include, "Life begins at X weeks because that is the point at which there is a heart beat and detectable brain waves, therefore we should prohibit abortion at this point."

The reason I bring this up is that if you impose your values on someone in an irrational manner ("Life begins at conceptions because Jesus, for example), then you are no better than someone who says, "You shouldn't have guns because they scare me and are bad and evil and scary and bad! Ban them!"

View Quote

Perhaps this (and other reasons) are why Sharia Law, and Islam are growing exponentially.
Man taking up with another man; put them to death.
Woman killing the fetus inside her; put her to death.
Profess Jesus is your saviour; put them to death.
Say something the Imam or leaders don't like; put them to death.
Stupid people require leadership; be it from government or religion, they instinctively follow whichever is the most trendy.

We've gone so far off the reservation with these "Parties" aka Special interests, that a new one must be built....George Carlin had it right:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top