Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2016 12:30:51 PM EDT
i am sure this has been asked before.
i for one do not say anything.(unless asked which has never happened) but a coworker said that you have to tell them?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I got pulled over for doing 10 over and I informed the town cop I was legally carrying.  Back up was called.  The process took 20 mins longer to finish up.  No one wanted to see the pistol.  I later found out that the officer who pulled me over was new and the older officer was a good guy, apologetic for the wait.  The ticket disappeared, which was weird.

On another occasion, I was pulled over for not having my seat bel on.  Told the trooper I was legally carrying and he questioned me as to why I carried and lectured me on how I should not be carrying.

The last time I was pulled over, I was driving a hooptie, a beat up '89 camary, which was given to me.  I was mistaken as a drug runner.  Sheriffs tried to pin every traffic infraction on me while they searched the car visually underneath and through the windows.  When they felt it was time for me to step out of the vehicle, they asked me if I had any weapons and I told them I had my sig.  That answer prompted a tense atmosphere until I slowly displayed my carry permit.  I was not searched and promptly sent on my way.  

If I get pulled over again, I'm not saying anything until I am asked.  Don't need to prolong the situation and I don't need a lecture.  I'll keep my hands on the wheel and wait for my ticket.  The above was all way before the safe act.

I would like to know also if it is mandatory to disclose info, especially with the safe act passage.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Like the rest of society, some cops recognize your rights, and some are brainwashed tyrants.  And like Forrest's box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.  Unless it is imminent and obvious that the cop is going to know that you are armed, don't bother mentioning it.  If you are a gangster with no license, the cop is going to find out if you have a gun.
Some cops, especially newer ones, have bought into the gun=bad mentality, and will become fearful at the mention of some subject arming himself.  Some cops who appreciate the Constitution might thank you for being upfront, although it wasn't necessary for you to be, and ask you to leave the gun where it is.  Don't do anything to make a cop nervous.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a requirement in NY, but there are some other states that do require notification, so that's where that urban legend comes from.  Definitely have the carry permit very close to the ID and be straightforward with all of your answers in case they pop the question, though.  I would probably volunteer the info only if it gets to the point where I was asked to step out of the car just so nobody gets surprised.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You do not have the duty to inform nor are NY law enforcement allowed to ask you if you are armed at a traffic stop unless they have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Ask-Drivers-Guns-NY-Traffic-Stops-Court-Ruling-Founded-Suspicious-184000001.html

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/nyregion/court-upholds-ruling-limiting-police-queries-during-traffic-stops.html?referer=

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do not have the duty to inform nor are NY law enforcement allowed to ask you if you are armed at a traffic stop unless they have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Ask-Drivers-Guns-NY-Traffic-Stops-Court-Ruling-Founded-Suspicious-184000001.html

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/nyregion/court-upholds-ruling-limiting-police-queries-during-traffic-stops.html?referer=

View Quote

In such a fucked up state as this, NY actually got some gun laws right.  This is one of them.  A gun is nothing more than my legally possessed property.  Cops have no greater right to ask if I have one than they do if I have a condom in my pocket.

As to the whole "officer safety" angle, well suck my balls.  You Scared?  Don't start nothin' there won't be nothin'!  Still scared?  Well I heard Burger King is hiring and you'll be getting $15 an hour now.

Yeah, I'm not a tremendous fan of the police, and sometimes it shows.  They are just a necessary evil to me.  Present company excepted, of course.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Just  yes sir no sir and license and registration.

If asked directly then give them only the information they ask for.

If they ask about weapons..... Well better to ask forgiveness than permission. Oh I thought you meant any unsecured weapons.

I have this little old carry license for the one I have on my person.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As to the whole "officer safety" angle, well suck my balls.  You Scared?  Don't start nothin' there won't be nothin'!  Still scared?  Well I heard Burger King is hiring and you'll be getting $15 an hour now.

Yeah, I'm not a tremendous fan of the police, and sometimes it shows.  They are just a necessary evil to me.  Present company excepted, of course.

View Quote

How brave of you
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just  yes sir no sir and license and registration.

If asked directly then give them only the information they ask for.

If they ask about weapons..... Well better to ask forgiveness than permission. Oh I thought you meant any unsecured weapons.

I have this little old carry license for the one I have on my person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk
View Quote

well you could move to Vt  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
No, not in NY. Whether you want to volunteer that or not would be up to you. Some think it helps, some dont want totake that chance.

If you get to the point that you are being told to exit the vehicle and are askedifyou are carrying weapons it might be a good idea to disclose verbally, not physcially, where you have the gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#10]
No legal requirement in NY to tell the officer, but you may just want to consider what may happen if its accidently seen at some point by a nervous cop in a bad area. I would rather volunteer that info upfront and hand him a permit before I had a gun pointed at my head.

If you are sure its tucked away, cant be seen no matter which way you move in the seat, you'll probably be fine. But 10 minutes into a traffic stop, he asks you to step out of the car and then you tell him, it may not go over so well. Especially if he already asked you about weapons...

Will every cop react that way? Of course not, but can you be sure of what kind of cop you will get at 3am on a lonely dark stretch of the northway halfway between albany and plattsburg??

Hint hint- Rookies get put on the night shift when they are first on thir own and NY judges don't like guns or gun owners...

Not saying you should or shouldn't, just offering some things to think about...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In such a fucked up state as this, NY actually got some gun laws right.  This is one of them.  A gun is nothing more than my legally possessed property.  Cops have no greater right to ask if I have one than they do if I have a condom in my pocket.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#12]
No.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No.....
View Quote

Anybody ever tell you that you talk to much?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hint hint- Rookies get put on the night shift when they are first on thir own.....
View Quote

Almost all the guys at work on night shift were senior guys. Pensionable night diff money and OT.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Almost all the guys at work on night shift were senior guys. Pensionable night diff money and OT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hint hint- Rookies get put on the night shift when they are first on thir own.....

Doesn't matter in NYC what point the officer you are dealing with is at.

Gun = Bad.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#18]
thanks for the replys
i dont get pulled over much so i dont worry about that and the few times i have i didnt say anything about carring.
i did get have a officer stop while i was hunting, ( coming out of the woods) and see my holstered pistol, all he asked was if i had a permit and what caliber gun it was .
but i think everyone has that one coworker that thinks they
know it all.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I was LE.  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  You will NEVER even be asked, unless you're up to no good!  Keep the Ass Sucking for wifey, or work!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
There is no requirement under NY State law, amazing as that seems given the asshattery of our legislature. I never minded when people told me, I would usually just say "thanks, as long as yours stays in it's holster mine will too" or something like that, and go about my business. Any cop afraid of a lawfully armed citizen has no business wearing the uniform. New guys today have been conditioned to panic at the mere mention of a firearm so I always advise people to say nothing about it unless it will be inevitably discovered otherwise (you are being asked to step out of the car, etc.) or if the officer asks a direct question regarding any weapons carried on your person or in your vehicle. The majority of the stops I made didn't involve any of those circumstances. If you live in the ghetto your results may differ.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#21]
If They can read my plate they know I'm carrying.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#22]
One time I informed a cop I was carrying and he said, "If you don't show me yours, I won't show you mine." Haha. I had a mentor of mine tell me once it's a good idea to inform, especially if there are two cops on the stop, with one on the passenger side, because they may overreact if they see your gun. Especially if you are reaching for your wallet or something.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#23]
i carry strong side right, and my wallet is in my front left pocket so i have to lean back and to the right to remove my wallet while seated in my car.
not that i get pulled over much, maybe 3 time in the last 15 years.

thanks for all the advice

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I've only been asked once.

Sir do you have any weapons in the car?

its such a ridiculous question

I decided to respond with sure what do you need? and so he left it alone.

shutting the fuck up about my CCW to police was definatly one of the very first things that was explained to me by arfcom way back in the day. I remember being shocked at the time at the replies to keep your mouth shut as I was sure it would of been treated as a 'good guy card.'

Thank G/d I listened.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I will only add, if you elect to say something, which 97% of the time you shouldn't, please don't say "I've got a gun," and definitely don't point to it, touch it or pat it.

Fun story, I was giving a report as a crime VICTIM and got the pleasure of speaking to the most tacticool high speed moron in town.  We're going to talk about how someone tried to shish kabob me and his first question to me is, "do you have any weapons on you."  My mind on other things at the time I was so surprised by the question that my first instinct was to check my pockets by patting them from the outside.  His reaction to the whole situation is one of the reasons I will never call 9-1-1 again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top