Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2016 8:51:00 PM EDT
Looking for the latest word on what I have to do to my Les Baer/Palafox AR15 to have it legal to dial in & shoot with at my hunting camp in the Catskills, NY.  
Thanks ...
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure it is worth messing with your gun to make it N.Y. compliant.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the offer.  But, I'm looking to test & record the real world ballistic characteristics of my two uppers at measured distances. And dial in an RS64 on one of the uppers.  I ordered a "stub" pistol grip to cosmetically make the rifle a step closer to legal. At least look more compliant. We've owned and used the property for over half a century, 20 minutes up a mountain on a logging road near Downsville, NY.  I've been researching what is and isn't legal and without getting into the absurdity of it all.   I figured this black rifle crowd would be pretty current on the situation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay. Then it requires your semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine have no additional evil features. No pistol grip. No Flash Hider or Muzzle Brake. No adjustable stock. No magazines greater than 10 rounds. No Fore Grip. No threaded Barrel.

If you choose to not comply with the law and use your non-compliant rifle as is you will be arrested if you have any contact with law enforcement at any point in N.Y. You will end up with more felony charges than you can count.

Every evil feature is a d felony (same as kidnapping or rape of a child under 12) and 3 d felony make 1 c felony (10-20 years in prison). Every 30 round magazine is a d felony and it is an additional d felony if it is loaded. All felonies are charged consecutively not concurrently. If you had 30 magazines that would be 30 d felonies or 10 c felonies (100-200 years in prison). If they were loaded then that would be 60 d felonies or 20 c felonies (200-400 years in prison).

N.Y.S. police will enforce the SAFE act and will ruin your life if they catch you with a non compliant rifle. Local police will most likely also enforce the SAFE act.

Good luck and stay free.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Find somewhere else to test your rifle
Have a stock Mini for NYS
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Private Property?

Go out, shoot, record your results and do not worry about anything.  Play with your different uppers, different grips and any stock you like.
Just my thoughts...

If I owned property in this state, I would shoot whatever I wanted, and ensure the access road is closed to traffic after I went through.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Private Property?

Go out, shoot, record your results and do not worry about anything.  Play with your different uppers, different grips and any stock you like.
Just my thoughts...

If I owned property in this state, I would shoot whatever I wanted, and ensure the access road is closed to traffic after I went through.

Bill
View Quote

I like this
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Private Property?

Just my thoughts...

Bill

I like this

Me too

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Me too

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Private Property?

Just my thoughts...

Bill

I like this

Me too

Not me, Ive had troopers walk up a mountain on private property to find a group of us having fun years before SAFE, nothing came of it but they will take a walk.

2-3 Years ago I found a trooper in the driveway of the cabin in the Catskills. I had been up sighting in a bolt gun..1-2 rounds every 2-3 minutes or so for 20-30 minutes. Some recent NYC transplant freaked out and called it in. The trooper laughed and responded "people shoot up here, its what they do" but he was board so he decided to find me.

Was a nice enough guy and we chatted for a while but private property wont stop someone from checking out whats up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Me too

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Private Property?

Just my thoughts...

Bill

I like this

Me too

What about the airspace around the property?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not me, Ive had troopers walk up a mountain on private property to find a group of us having fun years before SAFE, nothing came of it but they will take a walk.

2-3 Years ago I found a trooper in the driveway of the cabin in the Catskills. I had been up sighting in a bolt gun..1-2 rounds every 2-3 minutes or so for 20-30 minutes. Some recent NYC transplant freaked out and called it in. The trooper laughed and responded "people shoot up here, its what they do" but he was board so he decided to find me.

Was a nice enough guy and we chatted for a while but private property wont stop someone from checking out whats up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Private Property?

Just my thoughts...

Bill

I like this

Me too

So which amendment would this fall under?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure it is worth messing with your gun to make it N.Y. compliant.
View Quote

Why bother they'll probably make the rules more strict in the near future
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Journalists got wise to our hatred for non Team Members?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Private Property?

Just my thoughts...

Bill

I like this

Me too

Umm... it's called a Modern Sporting Burqa.  How can you be so, like, culturally insensitive and stuff?!?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Do what the rest of us are doing, NOTHING! Take it as is to camp, and enjoy!  SCREW Cuomo and his laws!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I appreciate the offer.  But, I'm looking to test & record the real world ballistic characteristics of my two uppers at measured distances. And dial in an RS64 on one of the uppers.  I ordered a "stub" pistol grip to cosmetically make the rifle a step closer to legal. At least look more compliant. We've owned and used the property for over half a century, 20 minutes up a mountain on a logging road near Downsville, NY.  I've been researching what is and isn't legal and without getting into the absurdity of it all.   I figured this black rifle crowd would be pretty current on the situation.
View Quote

I'm in a similar boat. Not familiar with NY laws but, perhaps to guide the conversation, wouldn't any two uppers an scr lower be NY legal? If so, it'll run you about $600 to test your uppers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm in a similar boat. Not familiar with NY laws but, perhaps to guide the conversation, wouldn't any two uppers an scr lower be NY legal? If so, it'll run you about $600 to test your uppers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you put a different lower on a Les Baer, you are killing the rifle, they are a "matched set".  You should just leave it at home and shoot the SCR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#20]
So the real question is, if the 10 round mag is fixed, is that all that needs to be done to make it compliant?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So the real question is, if the 10 round mag is fixed, is that all that needs to be done to make it compliant?
View Quote

Til NYS follows CA and wants to ban anything that's semiauto
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Private Property?

Just my thoughts...

Bill

I like this

Me too

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]
There's a lot of tough guy Tom Foolery going on here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's a lot of tough guy Tom Foolery going on here.
View Quote

That Tom guy moved south already.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah but I would make sure it's permanent, not one of these gizmos you can undo later
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah but I would make sure it's permanent, not one of these gizmos you can undo later

With the right tools and know-how, nothing is permanent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering what a lower costs you dont even need the right tools

I think I just got an idea
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Things that you can unscrew, or otherwise pop apart, will get you arrested, things that are welded in place probably won't  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things that you can unscrew, or otherwise pop apart, will get you arrested, things that are welded in place probably won't  

Probaby.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought a "Receiver Spur," which had some decent reviews, to make the rifle "more legal."  Looks like my Les Baer target upper (unthreaded) would be legal, but the Palafox carbon fiber barreled upper (threaded) will be impossible to make legal. (without pin/weld ... which ain't happening)  Apparently there is no way for a non-resident, even a property owning non-resident, to even register an evil rifle in NY.  And of course have been reading more and more about this NY law and how nefarious and convoluted it is.  Hopefully, if the latest corruption probe jails enough of the NY liberals, the law might be modified.  Apparently there are over a million "Evil" rifles with something like 40,000 having been registered.  Typically, we have a whole new group of law abiding, innocent felons out there via a politicians sweep of a pen.  

Anyway ... The "AR-15 Receiver Spur" is just dreadful.  Fohgettabout anything you learned about your strong hand and your grip.

I'm about to order the FRS-15 stock to see how that performs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I bought a "Receiver Spur," which had some decent reviews, to make the rifle "more legal."  Looks like my Les Baer target upper (unthreaded) would be legal, but the Palafox carbon fiber barreled upper (threaded) will be impossible to make legal. (without pin/weld ... which ain't happening)  Apparently there is no way for a non-resident, even a property owning non-resident, to even register an evil rifle in NY.  And of course have been reading more and more about this NY law and how nefarious and convoluted it is.  Hopefully, if the latest corruption probe jails enough of the NY liberals, the law might be modified.  Apparently there are over a million "Evil" rifles with something like 40,000 having been registered.  Typically, we have a whole new group of law abiding, innocent felons out there via a politicians sweep of a pen.  

Anyway ... The "AR-15 Receiver Spur" is just dreadful.  Fohgettabout anything you learned about your strong hand and your grip.

I'm about to order the FRS-15 stock to see how that performs.
View Quote
Add the trigger guard hook, makes it better.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:.  Hopefully, if the latest corruption probe jails enough of the NY liberals, the law might be modified.  .
View Quote

It won't.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Buy a Saiga or Mini-14.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, apparently they don't make an FRS15 for a rifle length (A2) buffer tube... only for carbine length tubes.  

The issue with the Receiver Stub isn't so much the looks (which are poor) but with the inability to control the rifle with your strong or trigger hand.  Nothing to "grip" be the gripe.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hopefully, if the latest corruption probe jails enough of the NY liberals, the law might be modified.

That hasn't happened in more than 100 years, even with Republican control.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Buy a Saiga or Mini-14.
View Quote

Ares SCR
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Try a Monsterman Grip
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, saw that Monsterman Grip the other day.  Looks majorly ugly to my eye.  Hard to believe the FRS actually looked better than something ... LOL

Question:  Can a rifle length buffer tube be changed to a carbine length without consequences to the function of the rifle?  I would assume there is no "travel" issue, possibly only a different spring to produce the same resistance?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
... LOLQuestion:  Can a rifle length buffer tube be changed to a carbine length without consequences to the function of the rifle?  I would assume there is no "travel" issue, possibly only a different spring to produce the same resistance?
View Quote

Here's one persons unscientific experience:

Before unSAFE, I changed out the full rifle size butt and tube on a preban carbine but not the spring and buffer.  The only issue I had was if I used the bolt hold open lever on an empty gun, the bolt had a tendency to fly forward anyway after it sat for a couple of minutes.  Presumably the rifle length spring being overcompressed in a carbine buffer tube.  Changed the spring and buffer out to a carbine size and the problem went away and everything ran great..
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Thank you ... I assumed a new spring would be required.  Possibly the buffer itself.  Glad to hear my existing buffer will likely still work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah, saw that Monsterman Grip the other day.  Looks majorly ugly to my eye.  Hard to believe the FRS actually looked better than something ... LOL

Question:  Can a rifle length buffer tube be changed to a carbine length without consequences to the function of the rifle?  I would assume there is no "travel" issue, possibly only a different spring to produce the same resistance?
View Quote

yes, new tube spring and weight.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thank you ... I assumed a new spring would be required.  Possibly the buffer itself.  Glad to hear my existing buffer will likely still work.
View Quote

25 bucks

http://www.primaryarms.com/am-21-buffer-kit/p/am-21-buffer-kit/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top