Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 3:14:43 PM EDT
I called the PAPD office at LGA today and spoke with an officer regarding my safe passage through LGA on my way to Texas.
I informed him that I had a NYS (not NYC validated) permit and he informed me that if I follow the TSA firearm transportation regulations that I would have No problems.

Anyone here personally fly out of LGA recently who would want to share their experience?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
PAPD overtime matrix:
1) tell sucker on phone NYS permits are good to go
2) then imply TSA is on the level
3) stand by for suckers arrival
4) profit

Really I have no idea :/
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PAPD overtime matrix:
1) tell sucker on phone NYS permits are good to go
2) then imply TSA is on the level
3) stand by for suckers arrival
4) profit

Really I have no idea :/
View Quote

Well despite me calling ahead, speaking with the Watch Commander, giving them my itinerary... I damn near got arrested and missed my flight flying out of NYC. The thing that probably saved me from that hassle, despite all of my prep work, was having an ID in my wallet for the Governor's Office where I worked at the time. That gave the PA officer pause, and he called Watch Command... which I had asked him to do repeatedly. The Watch Commander came down and sorted it out, and then had TSA walk me to the gate with my bag which had the firearms in it. TSA told me to board my flight with my handguns. When I informed them I could not, they asked why not... Wasn't I a federal agent? Why would you think that I asked... They said, well you're flying with handguns!

Flight was delayed a half hour while TSA worked to check my bag.

Cluster fuck ALL around.

Good luck! Maybe its better these days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Hiram may I ask how long ago was this?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
So Coastie you do not have any actual experience flying out of LGA that is what I was asking for someone who has actually done it recently.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks Hiram may I ask how long ago was this?
View Quote

2007 or 2008 I think
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Fly out of JFK, we handle firearms transport every day!

Bill
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I alwys thought that LGA/JFK was a no go with a non-city validated pistol permit.  To the point of never even take posession of your luggage for a layover, etc.  I've flow out of Islip with multiple handguns with no problems (other than a Police man taking my full box of PDX-1 ammo (30 bucks a box)).  TSA was great.

I did have a concern on the return from Tampa when the "regular" clerk had me open my luggage, and then the interior box with pistols in front of everyone on the "southwest airlines" check in line/queue - much the the horror of a few on line.  Then the TSA man came and got me.  He was great too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I made my reservations months ago to fly out of LGA so at this point for this trip that would not be possible.
Maybe someone you know with the PAPD could share with you the current climate for NYS permit holders flying out of LGA?
Thanks Bill
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So Coastie you do not have any actual experience flying out of LGA that is what I was asking for someone who has actually done it recently.
View Quote

Nope, none, zero

Just the old timely stories from the NYHTF

But if I found myself in the same senerio I might fly out of Westchester instead
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
My cousin has flown out of LGA multiple times, primarily to Michigan.  He has never been arrested.

The worst situation will occur if you happen to get rookie cops who have never done it before.  They kept him there for a while because they "had to verify" everything to make sure he wasn't a criminal.  When they finally called over somebody with rank and experience, it was OK.  But he was held for a while.

This only happened once out of several times.  He is a lawyer, so knowing the law will help.  You can call the airline to ask what the proper procedure is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Shqype
I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My cousin has flown out of LGA multiple times, primarily to Michigan.  He has never been arrested.

The worst situation will occur if you happen to get rookie cops who have never done it before.  They kept him there for a while because they "had to verify" everything to make sure he wasn't a criminal.  When they finally called over somebody with rank and experience, it was OK.  But he was held for a while.

This only happened once out of several times.  He is a lawyer, so knowing the law will help.  You can call the airline to ask what the proper procedure is.
View Quote

Does your cousin have a NYC pistol permit or does he think FOPA covers a NYS permit holder?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
record that conversation
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I called the PAPD office at LGA today and spoke with an officer regarding my safe passage through LGA on my way to Texas.
I informed him that I had a NYS (not NYC validated) permit and he informed me that if I follow the TSA firearm transportation regulations that I would have No problems.

Anyone here personally fly out of LGA recently who would want to share their experience?
View Quote

If you have a NYS permit and the gun is unloaded, boxed and locked with no ammo, you will be fine.

The horror stories come from people who are from out of state, or from NYS permit holders who show up with it loaded and on their person, then it goes bad.

PAPD goes off the deep end when the see an out of state license or a non NY resident with guns. But if you have a valid NYS pistol permit, its not a big deal, they do see that quite often. And the biggest wait will be for the cop to get to the counter, not many PAPD cops at LGA, so it may take a while. Plan to be at the check in counter at least two hours before your flight, three would be better... Its easier to sit at a bar and kill time than run through the airport to catch your flight and hope your checked pistol makes the same flight...

I was assigned to the task force at the airports for a couple years, seen it go smooth, and seen it go bad. Most times it comes down to staying relaxed and simply asking for a supervisor if it starts to get confusing.

Waving printed regulations and FOPA faq sheets in their faces will not help anything and will only make it go from bad to worse, so don't try and quote legislation to the PAPD, they don't care despite losing in court time after time... Telling the cop his job (even if he is wrong) will be a surefire way to wind up in cuffs. So if you have the time to sit in queens central booking for the night, go for it and you'll probab;ly get a nice settlement, but the soft touch works better if you need to make that flight.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]
NYresq1
Thank you for the valuable feedback, I did plan on bringing the printed TSA/Airline/regs and fopa info just in case, but I do know what you mean about not telling the LEO his job that never goes over well. I am going to ship my ammo and buy the rest there for the training.
GOTURBACK
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Old video for your entertainment (spicy language warning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm2VxXkED4Q

When I am carrying a semi... I will have the action back and open with a cheap cable lock through the action so there is no question that the gun is unloaded. Doing so, the official that is checking it, doesn't have any reason to touch it. Open the case, let them see it's unloaded, close and lock the case (with the inspection tag they provide placed inside). Be sure to use a good lockable hard case for your luggage too.

Safe travels!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes I have seen that video he drinks a variety of adult beverages throughout the uniquely colorful instructional guide to flying with firearms.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have a NYS permit and the gun is unloaded, boxed and locked with no ammo, you will be fine.
View Quote

And IF asked, you came right form your house to the airport with stopping!  

It is fine at LGA. Just plan on an extra half hour to 45 minutes while you wait for PAPD depending on the time of day.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top