Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 12:41:54 AM EDT
I'm building my first ar.  I cant seem to find a upper that has no flash hider.  I live in ny state and am trying to build something to comply with this bullshit law. Can I just remove the flash hider and cap the threads or is that evil too?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If you really want to be sure, take the upper, or just the barrel, to a gunsmith and have them either grind the threads off or silver solder a cap permanently on where there's no chance that it will come off.  Or buy a longer threaded barrel and have it cut down to a still legal length.

Don't assemble the barrel or upper onto a lower until you've got that taken care of.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thread protector.  Permanent (red) loctite.  The type that requires a torch to remove.  I've done that on a few.  There's no way to remove the thread protector without other tools, and time.  The same rationale for soldering on the thread protector.  The same tools will be able to remove a soldered, or loctited, tp.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never heard red loctite referred to as permanent. A torch, often just a heat gun and at times no heat at all to get it loose.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get a permanent version of it that requires decent heat to remove.  You're not gonna remove it with a zippo at the range.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Would a flash can like a Noveske Flaming Pig be good to go?  Its a flash enhancer, not a break and not a flash hider.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top