Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2016 10:00:10 PM EDT
If so, how was it?

More Info here
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lived here my whole life. Great hunting and fishing all around up here. Plenty of lakes and rivers, with people who would be happy to direct you if advice is needed on where to go.
As far as hunting goes, the area is huge for deer hunting, even some bear here and there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Within the Garrison/Cantonment area its Archery only, and additionally some other sensitive areas. You have to "qualify" to Archery Hunt on Post or the Airfield, otherwise a standard Game License.
There ARE Bears, especially on the Northeastern side, lots of Deer in the "Impact area" but that's OFF LIMITS.
Lots of little Ponds & Streams, many of which are right off the main highways and stocked by the DEC.

I used to hear a story about one of the "locals" that hunted illegally on the Ranges; one day while the warden was writing him a ticket, he asked "why do you continue to hunt here? you know I'm going to catch you and write you a ticket."  He answered: It's Private Hunting!  I come out here where there's nobody else, and lots of Deer....and IF you catch me you write a $25. ticket: where else could you hunt hundreds of acres where nobody's allowed for twentyfive bucks?"  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Within the Garrison/Cantonment area its Archery only, and additionally some other sensitive areas. You have to "qualify" to Archery Hunt on Post or the Airfield, otherwise a standard Game License.
There ARE Bears, especially on the Northeastern side, lots of Deer in the "Impact area" but that's OFF LIMITS.
Lots of little Ponds & Streams, many of which are right off the main highways and stocked by the DEC.

I used to hear a story about one of the "locals" that hunted illegally on the Ranges; one day while the warden was writing him a ticket, he asked "why do you continue to hunt here? you know I'm going to catch you and write you a ticket."  He answered: It's Private Hunting!  I come out here where there's nobody else, and lots of Deer....and IF you catch me you write a $25. ticket: where else could you hunt hundreds of acres where nobody's allowed for twentyfive bucks?"  
View Quote

$25 fine, that J.P. Is generous, then there is the $75 surcharge......  That's still expensive meat.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

$25 fine, that J.P. Is generous, then there is the $75 surcharge......  That's still expensive meat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal Installation. with a Magistrate....whole different world, and of course it was back in the day.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Knowing all of the stuff that's in the water and soil there I've never understood why people would want to eat wildlife they cull from post training areas.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#6]
interdasting

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Knowing all of the stuff that's in the water and soil there I've never understood why people would want to eat wildlife they cull from post training areas.
View Quote

The area next to the Airfield on Rte 26 used to be part of a Land Nav. course: the area's long since been fenced in, but when I trained there, I went through a creek that had this grayish-orange goo that had a florescence enough to it to see it oozing out of the side of the hill.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top