Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2015 12:10:18 AM EDT
Guys,

I broke my own rule and watched Zero's press conference.

Lots of stuff has been running through my mind, but just a few minutes ago I started thinking, "What if those dipshits get another assault weapons ban?"

Then I thought about all those poor bastards here and in CT who registered their rifles.

Just letting my thoughts run wild a little.

Crazy thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
This is precisely why leaving NYS hasn't been a priority for me.  

I realize NYS type bans WILL eventually be enacted federally.  Running only buys a little bit of time.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#2]
But what form would the ban take this time?

No grandfathering?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No grandfathering?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No grandfathering?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No grandfathering?

Addressing media today, U.S. President Barack Obama said the American people had become "numb" to such violence, pushing the case for gun law reform and praising gun control legislation in Australia and Great Britain.

“We know that other countries in response to one mass shooting have managed to craft laws that almost eliminate mass shootings. Friends of ours, allies of ours, Great Britain, Australia, countries like ours," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2015/10/02/obama-australia-gun-law_n_8230240.html

The Australian Constitution prevents the taking of property without just compensation, so the federal government introduced the Medicare Levy Amendment Act 1996 to raise the predicted cost of A$500 million through a one-off increase in the Medicare levy. The gun buy-back scheme started on 1 October 1996 and concluded on 30 September 1997.[27] The buyback purchased and destroyed more than 631,000 firearms, mostly semi-automatic .22 rimfires, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns. Only Victoria provided a breakdown of types destroyed, and in that state less than 3% were military style semi-automatic rifles.

And as of 2014...

An Illegal Firearms Investigation and Reward Scheme has also been announced, and there will be a ban on digital blueprints which allow 3D printers to make firearms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia#Port_Arthur_massacre_and_its_consequences

Good thing we have courts that defend our constitutionally protected rights...

Based on NY's compliance rate I'd think the free states would find a way to make compliance rates show in the negative digits.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I realize NYS type bans WILL eventually be enacted federally.  Running only buys a little bit of time.

View Quote

It would really suck if they are successful
Leaving NYS has been my escape plan post-retirement for a variety of reasons, the gun issue being a big one

I was just placing my weekly ammo orders and I think I doubled up on just about everything I wanted just because of the news conference today.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#6]
We keep looking at the legislative side of things, but an AWB or removal of all AWBs are going to be decided within the next 5 years by the courts. I'm not worried about Obama at this point other than his and the next president's ability to appoint judges.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#7]
and nobody is talking about the fact that the shooter had all the time in the world to ask his victims questions before he shot them as he knew he was safe in a GUN FREE ZONE

ETA

I need a bumper sticker that says "Guns don't kill people, Gun FREE zones do!"
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun control is cancer of the constitution fellas, just a matter of time before it takes hold in places you would not believe.  

Freedom of religion has been torn up pretty badly over the years, just a matter of time till its snuffed out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

and nobody is talking about the fact that the shooter had all the time in the world to ask his victims questions before he shot them as he knew he was safe in a GUN FREE ZONE

View Quote
IIRC, in Oregon students can legally carry on campus.  Not that I expect them to but I believe they had the right if they chose to exercise it.  Quite possible many might start carrying assuming Oregon does not decide to make campuses Gun Free zones.

With regards to a federal ban.  If they do go ahead and do something along the lines of Australia, there really will not be much you can do except comply.  You will have in your possession something that is legal nowhere in the United States and being caught would land you in the federal prison system.  You wouldn't be able to shoot it or take it anywhere you might be seen.  At least with the state bans, you still have the option of out-of-state storage.  Hopefully we will get a final court ruling so that we know one way or another where things stand.  IMHO, it beats this big question mark hanging over all of us.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IIRC, in Oregon students can legally carry on campus.  Not that I expect them to but I believe they had the right if they chose to exercise it.  Quite possible many might start carrying assuming Oregon does not decide to make campuses Gun Free zones.

With regards to a federal ban.  If they do go ahead and do something along the lines of Australia, there really will not be much you can do except comply.  You will have in your possession something that is legal nowhere in the United States and being caught would land you in the federal prison system.  You wouldn't be able to shoot it or take it anywhere you might be seen.  At least with the state bans, you still have the option of out-of-state storage.  Hopefully we will get a final court ruling so that we know one way or another where things stand.  IMHO, it beats this big question mark hanging over all of us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they do that, there will be violence on an unimaginable scale. The authorities cannot even contain the BLM movement, imagine this on a scale that is thousands of times bigger?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The School has its own policy.  granted its unenforceable from a legal standpoint.  Basically if they know all they can do is ask you to leave as its "private property"

but again, concealed carry is CONCEALED.... so if your doing it right, nobody knows...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I highly suspect and expect that those who have banned weapons have them sequestered for that "rainy day" when all bets are off.
The thing I really enjoy about "conspiracies" is they challenge what most consider as the norm, exploring alternate possibilities.  For the most part they're no different that say Science Fiction; look at what was considered "Science Fact" or physically impossible just fifty years ago against what is accepted fact today. If you want to look at the Historical enactment of Gun Laws and Government intrusion you could hearken back to the Sullivan Law of NYS, the National Firearms Act of 1934, or even the Gun Control Act of 1968: those are ALL examples of "necessity" in the time of great tragedy.
"Just because you think they're out to get you doesn't mean they aren't."  
I've found the heavy-duty wrap Sam's Club sells holds up better than the cheap stuff; Adjust accordingly.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's still our high tax issue, My wife and I are looking at options after retirement.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There's still our high tax issue, My wife and I are looking at options after retirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that, and it's a perfectly valid reason.

I'm strictly speaking about guns, because this is a gun forum and many people have left because of the safe act (I was soooo close to being one of them as well).

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Yawn, molon labe.  This world is only going to become more corrupt, more tyrannical.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yawn, molon labe.  This world is only going to become more corrupt, more tyrannical.
View Quote

I believe those in positions of power already know this and also know they're too big to jail, which leads to further corruption.
"Man is only good in fear of social reprisal."  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe. Maybe not.

Just thinking out loud here, but in many states I could see them telling the Feds to get fucked. Look at what a lot of states are doing with marijuana legalization. The Feds could technically swoop in and cause all kinds of trouble in those states, but so far they haven't. I'm not saying they wouldn't try, but a couple of high profile incidents like the Bundy ranch and things could get interesting.

On the other hand...who knows, maybe everyone would just roll over for it. Strange times we live in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Just thinking out loud here, but in many states I could see them telling the Feds to get fucked. Look at what a lot of states are doing with marijuana legalization. The Feds could technically swoop in and cause all kinds of trouble in those states, but so far they haven't. I'm not saying they wouldn't try, but a couple of high profile incidents like the Bundy ranch and things could get interesting.

On the other hand...who knows, maybe everyone would just roll over for it. Strange times we live in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Judging by human nature if one or two decide to "hold ground" then other see, realize, and eventually jump in.
The Bundy Ranch case was a prime example, but one must realize there's a different mind-set to folks in varying regions: would something like that happen in NY? I say no, not likely and the likely part rationalizes the Western part of the State.
Secretly a good many wish for an armed confrontation to exert their masculinity. to settle the score, to win back our lost/taken Rights, but I say unequivocally that day is one we should pray to God never comes.  Get involved locally then move up the pyramid to the top!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Judging by human nature if one or two decide to "hold ground" then other see, realize, and eventually jump in.
The Bundy Ranch case was a prime example, but one must realize there's a different mind-set to folks in varying regions: would something like that happen in NY? I say no, not likely and the likely part rationalizes the Western part of the State.
Secretly a good many wish for an armed confrontation to exert their masculinity. to settle the score, to win back our lost/taken Rights, but I say unequivocally that day is one we should pray to God never comes.  Get involved locally then move up the pyramid to the top!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

If an outright confiscation is implemented, folks will start shooting. In NY as well as elsewhere. It will start a new civil war. Like I've said previously, BLM people caused havoc throughout the country and had scared cops into not acting even when necessary. A few were murdered. Imagine when the 2nd Amendment folks who are defending the Constitution rise up? There won't be enough cops willing to conduct the raids, some out of fear, some because they are on our side. Judges, DAs, politicians will all become a target. If will bet nasty and bloody.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Probably true, but I think there are many politicians that would also like to see a confrontation to exert their power and show those nutty gun lovers "who's boss"

Agree 100%. The reaction on both sides of the coin would quickly ratchet up to a level of ugliness that this country hasn't seen in many years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If an outright confiscation is implemented, folks will start shooting. In NY as well as elsewhere. It will start a new civil war. Like I've said previously, BLM people caused havoc throughout the country and had scared cops into not acting even when necessary. A few were murdered. Imagine when the 2nd Amendment folks who are defending the Constitution rise up? There won't be enough cops willing to conduct the raids, some out of fear, some because they are on our side. Judges, DAs, politicians will all become a target. If will bet nasty and bloody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

And what happens when a local DA, Sheriff or hell, even a state AG or governor decide not to play ball with the Feds. Then you could end up with a local government that, if not directly involved in standing up to the Feds, is staying out of the way and offering no support to them which would provide some of level of unofficial approval for resistance. That is sort of what some of these liberal politicians have done with the BLM crowd by just staying out of it all together, offering no condemnation for the outcomes of their actions. I'm no lawyer, but I believe that's called tacit approval...

Would it happen here in NY? I don't know this state well enough to say. But as a southerner I can say there are many parts of this nation where I think things could go sideways in a hurry. Which goes back to the point of what would happen with confiscation...there's just no way to tell how people, circumstances and events will collide. Which is why this is all so perilous to contemplate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Right even though ny passed the UNSAFE act have you seen major raids to take weapons from people .. Nope.

if the numbnuts attempt it you will see people up rise. Americans are thought inside and outside of this country of being stupid and lazy. We are to a point until you piss them off than its all hell brakes loose. The Japaneses thought we were a push over and they found out when you awaken a sleeping giant you feel the wrath.  

If the clown in the oval thinks he will be able to call out the mil to suppress the people.. He will be very surprised when they turn on him.

My son just graduated last month from boot camp down in Fort Benning Ga. What i saw what they instill in to the recruits of how the military was formed and why.

Along with defending the Constitution.

Our soldiers are a lot smarter than you think in regards to our Country.

Big O is hated by the mil period and if you think not your dead wrong.

There is a major under current in this country that the politicians don't get from either party.  I travel a lot for my employer and its not jut out west or south but you hear the dissatisfaction with where in this country is going.  You are starting to see within the Republican party. Speaker of the house gone. You will see more go people have had it. The Dems are in the same boat. Look at the top contenders on the Republican side all outsiders. The Dems really don't have good candidate.. Heck they are trying to make jackass Joe Biden run due to the mess up of Hitler if he does run people will be reminder how stupid he really is and will mess again on the campaign trail.  

In our history we go through the swings of going too much right than too much left and usually swing back to the middle either with a little left or right leaning, but this country soul is middle of the road. Even with 60 years of liberal teaching in the school systems.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#23]
As a Long Islander in the shadow of NYC, my perspective is quite different from a southerner or someone from upstate New York.  Just remember that the bulk of the SAFE act registrations were from Nassau and Suffolk Counties.  I have little doubt that people here will comply with a confiscation order and if they don't, neighbors who know that they have contraband will turn them in.  Granted there has been no mass confiscation since the SAFE act was passed but that is because no law or directive has been passed ordering a confiscation (yet).  The only confiscations I have read about in the news have been in relation to crimes where the person involved in the crime has registered weapons which are removed from the home.  They would have done it anyhow but the database at least gives a heads up of what to look for.

In terms of people standing up to confiscation or LEO/military not getting involved, I just look at New Orleans after Katrina.  There were plenty of LE folks willing to do the job and no resistance was offered (recall they smacked around an elderly woman on camera and took her handgun).  Suppose, in the future the mayor or governor, depending on where you are, issues an order that all weapons be confiscated.  One can argue that is unconstitutional but as with New Orleans, that will be determined by a court way after the deed has already been done.  If local law enforcement will not cooperate (no doubt that NCPD and SCPD will) then you take a page from the Chinese and Tiananmen Square: you bring personnel in from another part of the country with no ties to the local populace.  I am sure there are some southerners who would love another crack at the north, especially for all the lousy anti-gun politicians we send to congress.  They probably look at Long Island as nothing but a compound full of Schumer supporters.

Finally, I do not think the federal government would go for immediate confiscation.  After Sandy Hook, DiFi pushed an AWB that would have converted all defined weapons to NFA status and required registration.  That is the tactic I think they would use first.  Get them all on the books and then at a later date move to eliminate them, most likely by reclassifying small subsets of various models as prohibited and doing that again and again over time.  People will probably feel compelled to comply, like they did in the 1930's, because the penalties for not complying will be extremely harsh.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#24]
This from Gabe Saurez
IGNORE THE SIGN

Some points on Oregon: Its not a video of a kitten so I hope its actually read by someone.

1). I could simply cut and paste every article I have written after these and simply change the dates and locations and they would all be spot on.

a). Its either a jihadist extremist, a common crazy guy, or a combination of both.

b). It is at a place where everyone has been voluntarily disarmed.

c). The police arrive after the bodies pile up and kill him, and then say it was a suicide.

d). The monkeys in charge call for more gun restrictions. Over and over and over. Routine? Yup.

2). The woods are lovely dark and deep. I will leave it at that...look it up. Very excellent timing after Putin gave Obama a penile prostate check over Syria.

3). If we did not embrace the cultures that hate us (reference the 100,000 Syrians your POTUS is bringing into the USA), or allow crazy people to roam free...I bet there would be fewer of these.

4). Given the inability of the authorities to keep you safe in such events, obeying "the sign" is a form of insanity. Not only immoral for them to suggest you do so, but also foolish on your part knowing what the eventual outcome of such an event would be.

5). The noble victim-heroes that sacrifice themselves, unarmed to save others cannot be ignored, but here is what we really need.  What we really need is a good guy that is also a killer. A good guy that is also a killer that will ignore the sign, and go after the sound of the shots with a smile on his face and a pistol in his hand and shoot the bad guy right in his f*cking face...or the back of the head if positioning favors that.

Today, every man or woman is a counter terrorist.

IGNORE THE SIGN
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#25]
In other states you can acquire handguns and long guns legally that aren't easily trcked like they are in NY.  In many states, you can buy a handgun with cash and a handshake from another individual - hard for the government to know who and where to confiscate unlike NY where everything is registered first.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Obummer is flying out to Oregon to grandstand at the site of the shooting on Thursday.  Expect his edicts to be read aloud at that time and for the next panic to start up
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Obummer is flying out to Oregon to grandstand at the site of the shooting on Thursday.  Expect his edicts to be read aloud at that time and for the next panic to start up
View Quote

Well, the last set of edicts gave us the Hollis lawsuit, might as well see what he comes up with this time...

Since when did government work by "If we can't agree on something, f*ck it, I'll just decide myself."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top