Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 11:21:19 PM EDT
I heard the rule changed a year or two ago?  It used to be that only domiciliaries could get a pistol permit in NY, but now part-time residents (snowbirds) can?  Anyone know much about this?

I want to get this done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
When pigs fly!!! Sorry , but I don't see this coming ever.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Look back in the threads.
There's been past discussions on it and yes people with verified NY 2nd residences etc can get permits
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There's been past discussions on it and yes people with verified NY 2nd residences etc can get permits
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it tough?  I'm on the deed of a family residence, so I can prove ownership.  Is it as simple as going into the office, filling out the application, providing my prints, and then just waiting for it to show up?  Or do I have to be interviewed by local CLEO or something?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:58:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is it tough?  I'm on the deed of a family residence, so I can prove ownership.  Is it as simple as going into the office, filling out the application, providing my prints, and then just waiting for it to show up?  Or do I have to be interviewed by local CLEO or something?
View Quote

NYS doesn't have a standard process on how you apply
It varies from county to county
You should ask how it works in the county you will be applying in
Like I said, check back through older threads
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_9/558137_Non_Resident_Pistol_Permits.html&light=resident

Over on another forum one guy mentioned the process in his county here

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/80200-non-resident-pistol-permit.html
http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/70893-nys-non-resident-pistol-permit.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#7]
County would be Essex.  I'll update when I find some stuff out from the county.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Also i see another law suit coming about this.. Since NYSP are making you have a NYS id as part of the requirment. If your out of state you dont have one.. So this going to be interesting when you have to recert your CCW with them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also i see another law suit coming about this.. Since NYSP are making you have a NYS id as part of the requirment. If your out of state you dont have one.. So this going to be interesting when you have to recert your CCW with them.
View Quote

Wasn't so bad when you could get a "Valid in New York Only" ID.  But since they stopped handing those out...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I told my clerk that I'll have a North Carolina Driver Licence and visit and stay in NY as needed. Address on my permit is listed as the addy I'll crash at while in NY.

EDIT : just changed my state
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I told my clerk that I'll have a North Carolina Driver Licence and visit and stay in NY as needed. Address on my permit is listed as the addy I'll crash at while in NY.

View Quote

Did you find the process to be a gigantic pain in the ass?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.. The pistol clerk is a very pleasant person too deal with..
Next trip NY I'll be seeing if I can get my NC address on my permit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
So I went and visited the clerk and got some information, including the application.  Clerk was very nice, though some in the office obviously didn't like the idea of a part-timer getting a gun.

I don't see anything in the application regarding a safety course.  This is NY, so I kinda expect there must be such a requirement.  Can someone elaborate on it a bit?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I went and visited the clerk and got some information, including the application.  Clerk was very nice, though some in the office obviously didn't like the idea of a part-timer getting a gun.

I don't see anything in the application regarding a safety course.  This is NY, so I kinda expect there must be such a requirement.  Can someone elaborate on it a bit?
View Quote

This also depends on the county. I know steuben doesn't require it but chemung does. This would be a question to ask the pp office in the area you are applying in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This also depends on the county. I know steuben doesn't require it but chemung does. This would be a question to ask the pp office in the area you are applying in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood.  I figured there might be a statewide requirement, but maybe since they didn't mention it, it's not required

Here's another question.  I'm not sure if these applications are standardized at all, but there's a section that asks you to check which type of license I'm applying for, and I can only check ONE.  Applicable options are "carry concealed" and "possess on premises".  I guess the question is should I check the "carry concealed" box and thereby go for broke on the application?  I assume if you reach for that, they could deny that and give you a restricted permit, rather than denying it entirely and making you go through the whole application process again?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Once again depends on county. Here the clerks tell you to apply for concealed. Almost everyone I know that has it is concealed here. I've only heard of a few that weren't and they got into trouble as kids. Sheriff usually told them to just apply to have restrictions removed after a year.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Once again depends on county. Here the clerks tell you to apply for concealed. Almost everyone I know that has it is concealed here. I've only heard of a few that weren't and they got into trouble as kids. Sheriff usually told them to just apply to have restrictions removed after a year.
View Quote

This whole process is hilarious to me as a bit of an outsider to it.  It's amazing to me that the most restrictive state in the nation as far as gun rights has very little standardization statewide for this haha.  Seems everything is county-dependent.

I'm going to apply for the concealed, because that's what I really want, and if they deny it I'll go from there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Curious on  this one as well, i recently purchased  a condo in lake placid
with some family members , i already have my westchester permit with restrictions on it
and will eventually retire out of this god forsaken state , but i really love the lake placid area
wich is in essex county and would love to continue to visit when i retire .

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This whole process is hilarious to me as a bit of an outsider to it.  It's amazing to me that the most restrictive state in the nation as far as gun rights has very little standardization statewide for this haha.  Seems everything is county-dependent.

I'm going to apply for the concealed, because that's what I really want, and if they deny it I'll go from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is, but as a upstate residents I'm happy about it. If the whole state was run like the shithole nyc upstate would really be screwed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Here's another question.  I'm not sure if these applications are standardized at all, but there's a section that asks you to check which type of license I'm applying for, and I can only check ONE.  Applicable options are "carry concealed" and "possess on premises".  I guess the question is should I check the "carry concealed" box and thereby go for broke on the application?  I assume if you reach for that, they could deny that and give you a restricted permit, rather than denying it entirely and making you go through the whole application process again?
View Quote

The residence-only permit tends to be a NYC-only thing
Apply for the concealed carry, even if it winds up having administrative overstamps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top