Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 3:00:45 PM EDT
I have purchased handgun ammo from Dicks before and have provided my handgun permit, however, this time they wanted to key it into their point-of -purchase system.

I declined to let them proceed and left the store without my purchase.

I explained, that I am not comfortable with retail system security to entrust them with more information than is required by law to conclude a purchase.

Absurd.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No reason to shop there. They have one here, 10 minutes from me,  I'll   drive past and go  on another 10  to go to  a different store. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Dickheads! They've always been weird when selling pistol ammo so I haven't purchased any from them for many years now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Don't shop there.
2. "It's for a rifle/carbine"  (Marlin Camp 9, etc)

At least WalFarts can have their computer prompt them to ask the rifle/pistol Q so that they're in compliance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Say it's for a rifle
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't shop at Dicks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't normally shop at dicks, LGS is closed on Sunday and needed a box of .45 ball as my son asked to shoot my p220st.

In the past, I have pulled the Marlin camp carbine routine before,
I'm not that slow :)

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I definitely don't like that policy but they have some decent deals sometimes.
Like everyone else I just say its for a rifle. Gotta mess with them though. Tell them its for a sub machine gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like everyone else I just say its for a rifle. Gotta mess with them though. Tell them its for a sub machine gun.
View Quote

Bahaha
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I shopped there until they rammed a pallet jack into my car cause I didn't tip the guy fast enough...
Quoted:

View Quote

Last time I was at the ammo counter there, a guy asked for .44 mag, no pistol license.  He explained it was for a lever gun.  Guy at the counter demanded he produce a photo of said gun.  Guy pulled up a photo on his phone of him holding it, gun counter guy claimed the resolution was not sufficient so that he could read the barrel marking denoting the caliber, declined the sale.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck Dicks.  Particularly irritating as you usually have to show your PP to both the gun counter goober and the fat ass cashier.  Nothing in/stock worth buying anyway.  Sale 9mm and 12 gauge bulk packs are all I've ever bough there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I shopped there until they rammed a pallet jack into my car cause I didn't tip the guy fast enough...

Last time I was at the ammo counter there, a guy asked for .44 mag, no pistol license.  He explained it was for a lever gun.  Guy at the counter demanded he produce a photo of said gun.  Guy pulled up a photo on his phone of him holding it, gun counter guy claimed the resolution was not sufficient so that he could read the barrel marking denoting the caliber, declined the sale.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that was a good story!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]
fuck that store, there is no reason for anyone to ever go there for shooting/hunting/fishing gear
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I've purchased at Dicks probably 3 times in the last 15 years.
If I have my permit with me, I don't chaff at having to show it to them.

They do have good sales from time-to-time, Dick's is just a pain to deal with and I'd rather support my LGS.

Given the nature of retail data security, keying my permit into their point of sale system is a whole other matter.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never shown a permit when buying "pistol" ammo at... well, I probably shouldn't mention the place here, but they are usually where I get my reloading supplies, too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fuck Dicks.  Particularly irritating as you usually have to show your PP to both the gun counter goober and the fat ass cashier.  Nothing in/stock worth buying anyway.  Sale 9mm and 12 gauge bulk packs are all I've ever bough there.
View Quote

Wait what?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Dicks should just concentrate on golf.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's right golf is for dicks
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought they were lesbian outfitters: ladies golf, softball, and camping gear.  Just need to sell Subarus in the parking lot...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Screw that place. I haven't set foot in there in years. I always felt like being a shooter of anything other than deer or ducks was looked down upon. And then there's Mr. dipshit counter person, who doesn't know his ass from an ass in the ground.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to shop at Dick's back in the 80s. Bought my first handgun there. Now they're a Nike and Underarmor store with a little hunting and fishing section. My younger brother worked there for a couple years and got screwed on his paycheck every single week. Finally had to get the commissioner of labor involved. I see the place near the restaurants at Destiny and lose my appetite.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#22]
The really shitty part of it all is that Dick's, the country's largest sporting goods retailer, originated in New York.  You'd think that they'd have some attachment to the New York sportsmen that made them into what they are today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I've mentioned in the past that one of my coworkers tried to buy some training ammo for his duty weapon at Dicks.
The guy has no permit and the gun is issued.
Dicks wouldn't sell him the ammo even with him showing LE creds.
I had to hit him upside the head and ask why he didn't come to see me since I have a fair amount of 40 on the shelf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top