Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2015 10:26:48 AM EDT
I am trying to locate the law on the issue of drinking and carrying in New York State.  It is my understanding that one may carry concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol, unless posted prohibited.  But what about consuming alcohol and carrying in general?  What is the law regarding carry and use of a firearm in self defense after having been drinking, either above or below the legal limit for driving, either in one's home or out?  I believe there is no clear statutorial prohibition in New York state.  This is not a question of one's opinion on the matter, just a question about the law in New York state.  I will continue my research, and thank all in advance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Drinking alcohol and guns don't mix, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... This is not a question of one's opinion on the matter, just a question about the law in New York state ....
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am trying to locate the law on the issue of drinking and carrying in New York State.  It is my understanding that one may carry concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol, unless posted prohibited.  But what about consuming alcohol and carrying in general?  What is the law regarding carry and use of a firearm in self defense after having been drinking, either above or below the legal limit for driving, either in one's home or out?  I believe there is no clear statutorial prohibition in New York state.  This is not a question of one's opinion on the matter, just a question about the law in New York state.  I will continue my research, and thank all in advance.
View Quote

There is no restriction in the Penal Law on carrying in places that serve alcohol unlike a lot of other States.  There is likewise no express prohibition against imbibing alcoholic beverages while engaging in the lawful act of carrying concealed under a validly issued pistol permit.  That being said, I know of no issuing Judge who would not revoke your permit for general asshattery involving drunkenness while in possession of a firearm.   It goes to your ability to appreciate the serious responsibility involved with carrying a concealed firearm.  If the Judge does not think you can act like a responsible adult your license to carry could be revoked and Appellate Courts generally go along with the Judge's decision in these type of cases.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
If you use your gun in self defense and they find alcohol in your system... pepper your angus.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you use your gun in self defense and they find alcohol in your system... pepper your angus.
View Quote

That is a valid concern as well.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is no restriction in the Penal Law on carrying in places that serve alcohol unlike a lot of other States.  There is likewise no express prohibition against imbibing alcoholic beverages while engaging in the lawful act of carrying concealed under a validly issued pistol permit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no restriction in the Penal Law on carrying in places that serve alcohol unlike a lot of other States.  There is likewise no express prohibition against imbibing alcoholic beverages while engaging in the lawful act of carrying concealed under a validly issued pistol permit.
 This is what my research leads me to believe so far.  
That being said, I know of no issuing Judge who would not revoke your permit for general asshattery involving drunkenness while in possession of a firearm.   It goes to your ability to appreciate the serious responsibility involved with carrying a concealed firearm.  If the Judge does not think you can act like a responsible adult your license to carry could be revoked and Appellate Courts generally go along with the Judge's decision in these type of cases.  
 This always has been clearly understood.

Thanks for the post, this is helpful and now leads me to consider the issue of use of a firearm in self defense in the home if above or below the driving BAC prohibition...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy I work with had hunters trespasses on his property. They were also drinking. Game warden through them out and made them pick up their beer cans. The guy I work with asked why they weren't being arrested for drinking while hunting and the game warden said there was no law on the books.
I would assume ccw is similar. Me personally, I leave it at home.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[
Thanks for the post, this is helpful and now leads me to consider the issue of use of a firearm in self defense in the home if above or below the driving BAC prohibition...
View Quote

Self defense in the home is treated differently under the law than in public.  I doubt without extenuating circumstances that a Grand Jury would true bill an otherwise good shoot "in your home" because you had a drink or two.  Outside the home where bystanders could be at risk if your judgment was impaired is a whole different question.  When in doubt retreat is the best option.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a Buffalo law once that basically mirrored the DWI limit of the time, carrying with a BAC over .1 was illegal. I don't remember the penalty
I've never seen a NYS level law on it

edit: http://www.nysrpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/chapter180-buffalo.pdf
page 3 talks about it
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
... This is not a question of one's opinion on the matter, just a question about the law in New York state ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Drinking alcohol and guns don't mix, IMO.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
for what it is worth.. I regularly carry when me and my wife or other family members go out to dinner.. (Newburgh is a popular dinner spot, but also known for not being the safest town)... I also tend to have A (singular) *1*  drink when I go out to dinner.. My feeling is that if you cant handle a single drink you should not be around firearms and alcohol at the same time...  

Me.. I can say that 1 beer is not going to impair my judgement to the point where if I god forbid had to use my firearm in self defense, that it should become a legal issue... now the D.A. may very well disagree, but a B.A.C. of such a low level should be fairly easy to defend against in court...

Now if I am going out with the guys and we are going to tie one on... Then well the firearm gets left at home, due to the fact that general ass-hattery  can (and has) occured when you get 3 or 4 of us together.. so it is better to not have a chance to introduce a firearm into that situation..

**Not to be considered legal advice, just my personal experiences**
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Guy I work with had hunters trespasses on his property. They were also drinking. Game warden through them out and made them pick up their beer cans. The guy I work with asked why they weren't being arrested for drinking while hunting and the game warden said there was no law on the books.
View Quote

There is "hunting while intoxicated" in the Environmental Conservation Law 11-1203.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought there was a Supreme Court ruling  (US not NY) that basically said that even though you might be intox you still have the right to self protection.

Thought it was something very similar to what the OP is asking.

I heard or read about it 5-7 years ago.  Not a lawyer and don't know where to look it up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I read this thing called 2A that says "shall not be infringed."      That includes bars, etc.

If the government wants to restrict something, restrict alcohol.  Issue alcohol licenses, ban it, whatever.  Alcohol is not a right.   By the 2A, the government can ban alcohol from gunclubs, but they cannot ban guns from bars.   They could restrict the right to consume alcohol while carrying, but not the right to carry while consuming alcohol.    Anything that violates the 2A is itself illegal.    You have the right to self defense even if you're so bombed you can't stand; you also have the responsibility to suffer the consequence if your condition clouds your judgment or aim.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no state law which prohibits carrying a gun while or after having consumed alcohol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]
There is such a thing as drinking responsibly.  I am against those that think one drop equals no carry. That is a liberal way of thinking in my book.  

If I go to dinner and have 3 or 4 drinks at the bar why shouldn't I be allowed to carry if I still have my wits about me? Does my 2A right end with alcohol? I think not.

Last I heard alcohol does not trump the constitution. Does my 1A right end with alcohol?

I have been at a bar where 3 or 4 drinks were had and then I went home. I don't go out to get shitfaced. I'm too old for that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is "hunting while intoxicated" in the Environmental Conservation Law 11-1203.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intoxicated is it.    .1 bac so its higher than the legal driving limit. Seems weird to me.
http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2014/env/article-11/title-12/11-1201
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Intoxicated is it.    .1 bac so its higher than the legal driving limit. Seems weird to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many states had .10 or even .12 BAC as the legal limit for intoxication. The Feds forced states to adopt .08 BAC as the standard for DWI/DUI or loose federal funding for roads.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#19]
No NY laws on the books about carrying and consuming alcohol. With that said, I know two people personally that were pulled over at a DWI check point and blew UNDER the limit and not charged with DWI, but did have their permit suspended by Nassau PD because they were carrying at the time. So not drunk by legal terms, but still had their permit yanked for 6 months and just under a year respectively.

So keep in mind, they can pull that permit if they want to, even if no crime has been committed, and the cost for a lawyer to get it back could be far more than most people can afford.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do not forget sub 2 of that law, which covers hunting while "creating unreasonable risk of injury" due to being "impaired by consumption of alcohol or use of a drug."  There is no BAC limit on that, but you have to be behaving like a dumbass to meet the unreasonable risk of injury part of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No NY laws on the books about carrying and consuming alcohol. With that said, I know two people personally that were pulled over at a DWI check point and blew UNDER the limit and not charged with DWI, but did have their permit suspended by Nassau PD because they were carrying at the time. So not drunk by legal terms, but still had their permit yanked for 6 months and just under a year respectively.

So keep in mind, they can pull that permit if they want to, even if no crime has been committed, and the cost for a lawyer to get it back could be far more than most people can afford.
View Quote

That dovetails right into my original response to the OP.  You may not get charged with a crime but you can lose your carry privileges particularly Downstate where the Judges love to revoke permits for trivial offenses.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That dovetails right into my original response to the OP.  You may not get charged with a crime but you can lose your carry privileges particularly Downstate where the Judges love to revoke permits for trivial offenses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't have "judges" on Long Island for permits.  The PD makes the decision and they are even more strict.  After all, there are only about 20 full-carry permits in Nassau County issued to people who are not retired PO's.  They are proud of that!

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done both.  But I don't drink enough to get stupid while carrying.  I generally stop, or really slow down, once I'm at that "warm fuzzy" stage where I can still do my job.  I'm usually more worried about making sure it stays concealed than anything else.

Oh, and I usually keep my drinking to mostly on-the-job, anyway, where my rights are further restricted to consuming products that kill more people than my firearms ever will.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Cops can carry guns while drunk. They have special magic cop blood that is sanctified by the state and makes them immune to poor decisions while intoxicated. This is a physiological transformation that is triggered by a swearing an oath to defend the constitution as it is interpreted by whatever politician decides to get some law passed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cops can carry guns while drunk. They have special magic cop blood that is sanctified by the state and makes them immune to poor decisions while intoxicated. This is a physiological transformation that is triggered by a swearing an oath to defend the constitution as it is interpreted by whatever politician decides to get some law passed.
View Quote

Your magically ability to turn any topic into one against cops is impressive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]
IMHO if you can't handle a gun drunk you probably suck sober as well. I've definitely duck hunted a few days over the limit from the night before. Allegedly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! But this is a gun/gun rights forum. And we live in a state in which the cops are the agents of those who oppress our gun rights, and they enjoy all those rights stripped from us and more.

As for *this* topic, do you know how many drunk, armed cops I've seen being loud in bars? Go ahead, get into a heated argument with one. After he murders you, they will probably decide not to press charges, as has happened on countless occasions. Even when the cop was retired. And even when the cop was not a cop but a retired corrections officer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks! But this is a gun/gun rights forum. And we live in a state in which the cops are the agents of those who oppress our gun rights, and they enjoy all those rights stripped from us and more.

As for *this* topic, do you know how many drunk, armed cops I've seen being loud in bars? Go ahead, get into a heated argument with one. After he murders you, they will probably decide not to press charges, as has happened on countless occasions. Even when the cop was retired. And even when the cop was not a cop but a retired corrections officer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

insert< /please God make it stop.gif/>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top