Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2015 12:10:50 AM EDT
Hi all,
Looking for a little help.
Good friend and co-worker, not a NY resident, messed up bad on vacation.

Without knowing all the details:
He was at Niagara Falls got contacted by police and charged with "Unlawful Possession of a Firearm"

Any recommendations for 2A friendly attorney in the area?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
http://nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics-firearms-self-defense-weapons/11871-ny-pro-firearm-attorney-list.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent point Aimless, but I have met people that couldn't put their job ahead of personal bias, and know they have to be pretty blatant to have any true recourse.

I guess my hope was that anyone that was being recommended would be good, not just a pal from the gun club.

Abom, I'll forward that list on.

Thank both of you for your advice.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
CPW 4th (Misd) or 2nd/3rd (Fel), if it's 4th around here they'll let him plea to something like DisCon and he forfeits the firearm. If they charged 2nd or 3rd then he's in a real jamb.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Sheldon Boyce in Rochester is a well known attorney and I believe is very familiar with second ammendment law pertaining to the peopl's republic of NY
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a lawyer but i've been in a couple jams before.

You want a local lawyer, someone who is friends with the people that will be handling your case, a guy that shoots the shit with your judge out on the golf course or whatever hobby the judge assigned your buddies case enjoys.

There are no 2A issues to be handled here, your guy done fucked up as far as the state of New York is concerned.

The aforementioned lawyer can help convince the judge that your guy is of sound moral character and a good guy, who is sorry to have fucked up bigtime and that serious legal penalties or jail time are not the kinds of justice needed.

Also be prepared to pay a big fucking fine and also do some community service.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a lawyer but i've been in a couple jams before.

You want a local lawyer, someone who is friends with the people that will be handling your case, a guy that shoots the shit with your judge out on the golf course or whatever hobby the judge assigned your buddies case enjoys.

There are no 2A issues to be handled here, your guy done fucked up as far as the state of New York is concerned.

The aforementioned lawyer can help convince the judge that your guy is of sound moral character and a good guy, who is sorry to have fucked up bigtime and that serious legal penalties or jail time are not the kinds of justice needed.

Also be prepared to pay a big fucking fine and also do some community service.

View Quote

Seen it a million times.  Those in the criminal justice system have an understanding that the laws and penalties described there in are for the worst cases, and that any "upstanding" citizen will hire a competent attorney and the "one off" offense will be plead down to something less along with the penalties.  Tell your friend to hire the best attorney possible, and pay whatever he has to.  That's how the CJ system works here, unless you're "special".
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The good old eighties. buddies and I would make are own nunchucks bring them to school and practice. Nobody gave a shit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Was it the state park police or Niagara Falls pd?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics-firearms-self-defense-weapons/11871-ny-pro-firearm-attorney-list.html

View Quote
Always dreamed of earning an income by being a resource like this but I'd have to find A firm with some interest in criminal law.  The up side of dealing with people like us is that for the most part it's good people getting into bad situations, but you can't make a living off of that and I'm not hugely interested in dealing with true to life lost causes for the rest of my career to facilitate it...

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Always dreamed of earning an income by being a resource like this but I'd have to find A firm with some interest in criminal law.  The up side of dealing with people like us is that for the most part it's good people getting into bad situations, but you can't make a living off of that and I'm not hugely interested in dealing with true to life lost causes for the rest of my career to facilitate it...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then do not go into Family Law either.  You have to develop really thick skin to make a living in that field.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The good old eighties. buddies and I would make are own nunchucks bring them to school and practice. Nobody gave a shit.
View Quote

LMFAO.

Same here.  A broom handle cut up into 8 pieces got us 4 pairs of chucks.  I remember going with 3 friends to the neighborhood hardware store and asking for four 2" lengths of chain.  The guy was like .  He knew what was up.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LMFAO.

Same here.  A broom handle cut up into 8 pieces got us 4 pairs of chucks.  I remember going with 3 friends to the neighborhood hardware store and asking for four 2" lengths of chain.  The guy was like .  He knew what was up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMFAO.

Same here. Made them out of broom handles. I miss the 80's.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMFAO.

Haha, picture this.  It's the summer of 1982, I'm in my requisite attire:  short sleeve shirt with the sleeves a different color than the rest (like a 3/4 sleeve pattern but short sleeves), gym shorts cut high on the outer thigh and the 3 white stripes down the sides, converse sneakers and white knee high socks.  I carried the nunchucks around tucked in my sock because the shorts had no pockets.

Riding my banana seat bike with full chain guard (Space Invaders bike from Jamesway) with the Dungeons and Dragons boxed set (yes - this was Basic D&D before AD&D with the separate Dungeon Master's Guide came out) under my arm heading over to a friends house.

I was badass.

ETA:  I just realized we hijacked the shit out of this thread.  Oh well, I think the OP got the answer he needed.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Haha, picture this.  It's the summer of 1982, I'm in my requisite attire:  short sleeve shirt with the sleeves a different color than the rest (like a 3/4 sleeve pattern but short sleeves), gym shorts cut high on the outer thigh and the 3 white stripes down the sides, converse sneakers and white knee high socks.  I carried the nunchucks around tucked in my sock because the shorts had no pockets.

Riding my banana seat bike with full chain guard (Space Invaders bike from Jamesway) with the Dungeons and Dragons boxed set (yes - this was Basic D&D before AD&D with the separate Dungeon Master's Guide came out) under my arm heading over to a friends house.

I was badass.

ETA:  I just realized we hijacked the shit out of this thread.  Oh well, I think the OP got the answer he needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMFAO.

I was badass.

Chucks, ninja stars, katana blades, cheap knives, cap guns that looked so real, bow & arrows, sling shots, stick ball bats, bicycle chains (the kind that you used to chain your bike so no one stole it), fireworks......

All this shit was bought in the bx and Manhattan, by me at the age of 10-12 (before we moved), in the 80's.  All bought at retail stores and mom and pops, on Arthur Ave, Morris park and china town.  As others have stated, no one gave a flying fuck.

Thing is, we didn't do stupid shit with them, and if we did, it didn't hit the national headlines like today.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Then do not go into Family Law either.  You have to develop really thick skin to make a living in that field.

View Quote

I have a friend who does Family Law.  Some of the stories he would tell me were mind numbing.  I do not know how one can believe in humanity and civilization after some of things he has had to deal with.  I remember him telling me about a client he had that even he said belonged in jail but he was going to get him off due to problems with the prosecutions case (which he did).
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
To update, he's out of NY, but still vacationing, so I'm not sure what exactly went down, he found an attorney off of another forum that was able to show for his arraignment. He's free for the moment, pockets a good bit lighter, as to be expected, I'm guessing the felony is off the table as they're saying he may not even need to return for further court proceedings. He had no record at all.

He did say everyone involved was very professional and helpful,

I'll be sure to ridicule him about being the biggest dumbass I know, no small feat, when he gets back.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was badass.

View Quote

Sounds familiar.  Different bike but add the original Gamma World box set because we liked to mix it up a little.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds familiar.  Different bike but add the original Gamma World box set because we liked to mix it up a little.  
View Quote

Hell yeah.  Remember the mission at the Poultry Plant?  The cover artwork had the blue guy dressed in the "No Nukes" shirt?

I also played Top Secret, but I didn't think anyone would know what that was.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Top Secret was hilarious. It had that chart where you picked like a karate kick and your opponent kicked a block without knowing your attack, there was one set of blocks that stopped every attack. that game was a riot, tumbling 223 bullets, couldn't carry a revolver on a live round-still that game was a ton of fun  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah.  Remember the mission at the Poultry Plant?  The cover artwork had the blue guy dressed in the "No Nukes" shirt?

I also played Top Secret, but I didn't think anyone would know what that was.

Top Secret was hilarious. It had that chart where you picked like a karate kick and your opponent kicked a block without knowing your attack, there was one set of blocks that stopped every attack. that game was a riot, tumbling 223 bullets, couldn't carry a revolver on a live round-still that game was a ton of fun  

Lol, don't forget the gyrojet bullets!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top