Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2015 1:59:02 PM EDT
Hello fellow AWB Staters!

Although both our illustrious states have an AWB, they each have their own proclivities.  We in CT can still by pre-ban firearms (for now), but they still have to follow the AWB rules on when and where you can use/transport them.  We also got to keep our mags (for now), but had to send a confiscation list, I mean register them with the state.

As far as I know, there are two companies making fixed magazine lowers for the AR: Dark Star in LI, and a CT company named ComGraf.  Because an AR that uses one of these receivers is not an AW in CT, I wanted to build one or two (maybe a pistol), for range toys that are not restricted like AWs.  Plus, although much higher in cost than standard AR receivers ( that I can't buy), they are considerably cheaper than a pre-ban.  And good luck finding a virgin pre-ban for a pistol build!

One thing that concerns me about the Dark Star lower is, basically any mag can be inserted from the bottom, and held in by the screw they use as a retainer.  So possessing this receiver, and any one of my 20-30 round mags had the potential of getting me in trouble.  With the ComGraf lower, you can't insert a mag from the outside.  You need to take out two screws and the bolt catch, to drop the mag in from the top.  And they say the geometry is different, so a curved 30 won't go in.  So I am kind of leaning towards the ComGraf lower, although the Dark Star lower is MUCH cooler looking!

When I contacted Dark Storm, they said they had sold a large number of these in NY.  So, I wanted to see if I could get any feedback on the receiver from someone who had actually built one.  Would anyone be kind enough to share?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy of mine is a Dark Star stocking dealer....we saw them when they first came out at syracuse... nice guns...

Yes, you can technically install a mag normally...but to do so you must completely disassemble the lower, as in remove buffer tube, and maybe trigger group to access the screw that locks the mag in place...so I think that satisfies at least NYS bs....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you guy mean Dark Storm? as in DSI, because they have a fixed mag lower. Never heard of this Dark Star..
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you guy mean Dark Storm? as in DSI, because they have a fixed mag lower. Never heard of this Dark Star..
View Quote

OOPs!  I think that Dark Star was a horrible "B" Sci-Fi" movie from the 70's or 80's!

Yes I meant Dark Storm.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OOPs!  I think that Dark Star was a horrible "B" Sci-Fi" movie from the 70's or 80's!

Yes I meant Dark Storm. Fixed it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I meant Dark Storm. Fixed it!

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes I meant Dark Storm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I meant Dark Storm.

Dark Star (1974) was one of John Carpenter's early films as both a writer and director.  I remember it as an awesome movie, but that was in the seventies, and I remember alot of things as awesome that didn't seem to be once I straightened up.  

Keep hoping it'll show up on Netflix...
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine is a Dark Star stocking dealer....we saw them when they first came out at syracuse... nice guns...

Yes, you can technically install a mag normally...but to do so you must completely disassemble the lower, as in remove buffer tube, and maybe trigger group to access the screw that locks the mag in place...so I think that satisfies at least NYS bs....
View Quote

There in lies the rub.  The CT AWB, and the NY Un-Safe Act have many similar restrictions, but the devil is in the details.  Unlike the very anti-gun government of CA, who at least will give you guidelines to work with, CT chooses to let you bump around in the dark, and then arrest you if they don't like what you are doing.

The key with CT is if it is semi-auto, with a detachable magazine, then it has to clear all the AW restrictions to be legal.  The CT law is written in such a way that unless it looks like a mini-14 or m1 carbine (with no bayonet lug), it is an AW (exception being rimfire, which can have one feature, generally a pistol grip).

So, the Dark Storm lower may pass muster, or some CT prosecutor may decide to duct tape a mag in place, and call it a detachable mag receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top