Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2015 12:50:18 PM EDT
Hypothetically speaking, say you wanted to get into private security/executive protection or start your own business offering these services. What are the proper channels or avenues to obtain some sort of carry permit. I'm talking more downstate here.

Not talking about security "guard" type gigs.

Many years ago, my friends boss ran his own business....he dealt with lots of cash. He knew I had a permit (sportsman) and offered me a bunch of money to "hang around" his warehouse as "security". I was basically a kid and had no idea on how to do it legally, needless to say, I passed on the gig but was just wondering now how it could have been done.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I beleive you need to reg with the state to get a security guard certification.

not sure what more you need for armed licensing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the training and certificates, everything else will come along.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Verdad who posts here runs some training classes associated with security licensing. he could probably fill you in on the particulars
Body guard type gigs, not sure how you'd get in on those
I imagine most of those guys are former LEOs who use their connections to get jobs and clients
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hypothetically speaking, say you wanted to get into private security/executive protection or start your own business offering these services. What are the proper channels or avenues to obtain some sort of carry permit. I'm talking more downstate here.

Many years ago, my friends boss ran his own business....he dealt with lots of cash. He knew I had a permit (sportsman) and offered me a bunch of money to "hang around" his warehouse as "security". I was basically a kid and had no idea on how to do it legally, needless to say, I passed on the gig but was just wondering now how it could have been done.
View Quote

Send me a PM with your whereabouts down state and I can probably get you in touch with someone who does training for Private Security.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Send me a PM with your whereabouts down state and I can probably get you in touch with someone who does training for Private Security.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate the offer but I was just speaking hypothetically.... I don't want to inconvenience anyone over something I'm just a little curious about.

I'm in Suffolk county FWIW.... Employed as a peace officer for the state. If I was actually going to do anything like this it would be in Florida.... Seriously want the fuck out of NY.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
In NY, to be legal you must be affiliated with a licensed Watch Guard or PI company. You really aren't legal to work as a solo just because you got the training/registration as a guard. .  Businesses that hire guards can get a proprietary license to hire security officers through NYSDOS also. Very similar laws in Florida btw.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
If you were to get involved at all, get your P.I. license through the Department of State. It also covers armed guard if I remember correctly.

D.O.S. P.I. FAQ

I do Executive Protection now, but I'm only licensed as an armed guard. For a few more hundred bucks, and my LLC, I should've just got the P.I. Lic.

It's a racket....like everything else in NY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top