Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2015 9:30:07 PM EDT
Anybody around?

Going up tomorrow to hike sleeping beauty.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
unfortunately, unless it involves beer, and topless women, i have no interest in lake george
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
unfortunately, unless it involves beer, and topless women, i have no interest in lake george
View Quote

You sir, have found the right thread!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Over in placid...I was going to do giant but weather looked sketchy so we did cobble hill outside of placid instead
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]
^^^^^ Man, it does not get any better than that!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Great trip! Easy hike, but camping at the top was freakin awesome.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL That dag be eyeballin them steaks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
No shit, I live about 10 min away from there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No shit, I live about 10 min away from there.
View Quote

Me too.

Great trout fishing in Bumps and Fishbrook Ponds.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anybody around?

Going up tomorrow to hike sleeping beauty.
View Quote

I was on the north end all weekend.  Went to the ADK museum saturday, and hit the Fort on Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice to see some hikers in the HTF.  Anyone working on the ADK 46?

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

First I heard of it. Was gonna go again with the same crew in September sometime, I'll have to knock one off that list.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

First I heard of it. Was gonna go again with the same crew in September sometime, I'll have to knock one off that list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's quite a list.

ADK 46ers list

Not easy by any measure, but absolutely worth it.  I took this pic from Marcy's summit a few weeks ago.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Knocked off the Dials, Nippletop, and Phelps over 4th of July weekend.

I wish I had started this earlier in life, that was 12, 13, 14  ... and I'm 50.  They
aren't getting any easier.  

We were actually going to do Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge as well, but the GF was wiped out.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I have Algonquin and Iroquois. Have been busy with weddings every weekend so haven't gotten a trip in this year
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
So now that I'm up here with the fam, I'm glad to see the super-Wally World
Has guns on the rack just like the down state walmarts from the yesteryear *sigh*

Are there any other LGSs worth checking out?

And aside from ft. Ticonderoga & ft. Mchenry William Henery are there other worthwhile sites?

(Going out on the Minnie ha ha tomorrow)

Eta: cause derp
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has guns on the rack just like the down state walmarts from the yesteryear *sigh*

And aside from ft. Ticonderoga & ft. Mchenry are there other worthwhile sites?

View Quote

If you have time drive over to the ADK Museum,  Its pretty awesome
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I did a three-day trip in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness area last weekend. Good stuff. Hammock camping FTW.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The fort has been reconstructed and it's worth the trip. Fort Ticonderoga is nearby as well. A ton of history there!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And aside from ft. Ticonderoga & ft. Mchenry are there other worthwhile sites?

View Quote

There are some small monuments and interesting sites nearby. Bloody Pond and the site of part of the Battle of Lake George. Saratoga Battlefield is not far away either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Recently injured my knee so my wife and I camped at Dacey Clearing below Sleeping Beauty last week. I live close by so it's like a second home. Even have a favorite spot up top.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Very nice!
View Quote

+1

And for the gun shop question North Creek Trading Post is a neat little hidden shop with racks full of rifles, shotguns, and handguns.  Lots of used stuff with typical upstate NY prices.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And aside from ft. Ticonderoga & ft. Mchenry William Henery are there other worthwhile sites?

View Quote

Update:

Fort Ticonderoga was very cool! complete with re-enactors and activities for the kids (gift shop & café)
I highly recommend seeing it, you need a whole day to see the whole thing
military discount too!

Fort William henry was in good repair (but we didn't go in too many other things on the list)

Minnie Ha Ha was very cool too, kids loved it. its a real steam powered lake ship

the Adirondack Museum was excellent, we only allotted four hours for it, which is way not enough. should be a whole day. we saw only 25% of the exhibits
also military discount(free).  

ton of stuff we wanted to do but didn't get to it, might have to go back next year

thanks OP for a thread that delivered!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Glad you had fun!
As thederrick106, pointed out, the gun shop in North Creek is definitely worth a stop.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#28]
That's Epic! Can you just hike and camp wherever? That might be my next weekend trip.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's Epic! Can you just hike and camp wherever? That might be my next weekend trip.
View Quote

Pretty much.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Update:

Fort Ticonderoga was very cool! complete with re-enactors and activities for the kids (gift shop & café)
military discount too!

Fort William henry was in good repair (but we didn't go in too many other things on the list)

Minnie Ha Ha was very cool too, kids loved it. its a real steam powered lake ship

the Adirondack Museum was excellent, we only allotted four hours for it, which is way not enough. should be a whole day. we saw only 25% of the exhibits

ton of stuff we wanted to do but didn't get to it, might have to go back next year

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update:

military discount too!

ADK museum can be visited once a year for 4 years and you could still miss stuff
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Pretty much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Yup, the ADKs are amazing, to bad we are subject to the downstate originating hate laws, and unconstitutional bullshit that is NY.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

...typical upstate NY prices.

View Quote

Is that good or bad?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is that good or bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...typical upstate NY prices.

Is that good or bad?

Usually a little more then can be found in larger population centers, but that is to be expected.  Same thing goes for gas prices etc.

I would say that there prices are the best in the area, but as the norm, your local gun store can't compete with big box store prices.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Sooo... We're gonna do it again firat weekend in October, but I want to do one of the adk 46. Primitive camp at the top.

Recommendations?  3-4guys, and a wolf.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sooo... We're gonna do it again firat weekend in October, but I want to do one of the adk 46. Primitive camp at the top.

View Quote

Camping is prohibited at elevations above 4,000 feet at that time of year, and that pretty much strikes the 46ers off your list. But there are lots of other mountains that offer good views and good camping. Tongue Mountain Range has a couple lean-tos along the ridge and Pharaoh Mountain has a nice summit with great views and room to camp. I'll be up there that weekend too I think. If you are set on doing a 46er, Giant Mountain has awesome views. It does snow up that at that time of year, lol. I think it was last fall when we had a foot of snow near our cabin in Wilmington in September.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Camping is prohibited at elevations above 4,000 feet at that time of year, and that pretty much strikes the 46ers off your list. But there are lots of other mountains that offer good views and good camping. Tongue Mountain Range has a couple lean-tos along the ridge and Pharaoh Mountain has a nice summit with great views and room to camp. I'll be up there that weekend too I think. If you are set on doing a 46er, Giant Mountain has awesome views. It does snow up that at that time of year, lol. I think it was last fall when we had a foot of snow near our cabin in Wilmington in September.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that I'm dead set on a 46er, but I do want to start knocking some off the list ...it's just we want something more difficult than what we've done so far. We flew right up sleeping beauty in less than an hour, packs, tents and the dog lol. Thanks for the suggestions, maybe we'll get a beer if we're in town the same time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I spent the night at the lean-to on Fifth Peak, Tongue Mt and hated the hike in. The view from there wasn't great either. Besides Sleeping Beauty, my other favorite is Black Mt. Wouldn't recommend building a camp fire up there and wait till hikers leave for the day before setting up. Beautiful view and very quiet except the windmill. Used to sleep in the old rangers cabin till they tore it down. If you hike the loop, there's a lean-to at Black Mt Pond and Lapland Pond. Camped at the summit last year. Rained some but had a few cold ones while the sun set.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Whoa... Beautiful, nature at its best. To bad NY state is such a cancer to freedom that we are forced to leave...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm thinking of heading up to sleeping beauty Labor Day weekend. Possibly hike in Saturday morning. Think it will be busy with the holiday over there?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of heading up to sleeping beauty Labor Day weekend. Possibly hike in Saturday morning. Think it will be busy with the holiday over there?
View Quote

Weather permitting, it will be packed. Both parking lots will be filled and cars parked along Shelving Rock Rd. Best bet would be to show up early in the morning and hike in. Two way traffic gets pretty hairy when driving out from Dacey Clearing when it's busy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's quite a list.

ADK 46ers list

Not easy by any measure, but absolutely worth it.  I took this pic from Marcy's summit a few weeks ago.

<a href="http://s169.photobucket.com/user/JW1069/media/Mt%20Marcy%206-30-15/10aefc8c-7e38-42b7-9288-a86174ce4956.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/JW1069/Mt%20Marcy%206-30-15/10aefc8c-7e38-42b7-9288-a86174ce4956.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's quite a list.

ADK 46ers list

<a href="http://s169.photobucket.com/user/JW1069/media/Mt%20Marcy%206-30-15/10aefc8c-7e38-42b7-9288-a86174ce4956.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/JW1069/Mt%20Marcy%206-30-15/10aefc8c-7e38-42b7-9288-a86174ce4956.jpg</a>

a lot more green since I have been up there last
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#43]
North Creek Trading Post is a nice shop indeed, great selection.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
North Creek Trading Post is a nice shop indeed, great selection.
View Quote

+1.

---

Its my go to shop.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice pics
Thanks for sharing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top