Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2015 4:24:53 PM EDT
Richard Matt, wounded and "may be dead"

Edited for correction.  Not sure if dead.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
damned you're fast.

At a million dollars a day, I hope it saved the tax payers some money for reincarceration costs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got word that Sweet is in a shootout with the cops right now
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
damned you're fast.
View Quote

Evidently not fast enough.  I just saw that someone in GD beat me by a couple minutes.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm. 20 mil or so to hunt them down.  How much for the next 25 years in the tank for two or now one?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmmm. 20 mil or so to hunt them down.  How much for the next 25 years in the tank for two or now one?
View Quote

There's still going to be at least two:  Mitchell and Palmer
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep one gone. foxnews link
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Good.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

aww damn, so much for my taxes going down.

I'm sure in 2 months the governor will be cutting Corrections (and everyone's) OT to balance the budget for this fuckup.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Dude was shot 9 times escaping a Mexican prison and lived. American Marksmanship at it's finest. CBP!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Richard Matt, wounded and "may be dead"

Edited for correction.  Not sure if dead.

View Quote

He's a good inmate now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#11]
How many millions to kill one guy?

Guess we have a surplus of money in the state, or not a single other problem needing a solution.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Guess we have a surplus of money in the state, or not a single other problem needing a solution.
View Quote

Please explain mr. expert how law enforcement should have handled this ?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like how the governor and his superintendent should have handled it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protect any people that may be targets by them, and just wait for them to fuck up.

They always fuck up. The boston bomber was found by a resident, not by roving foot soldiers bouncing around the city like idiots.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Protect any people that may be targets by them, and just wait for them to fuck up.

They always fuck up. The boston bomber was found by a resident, not by roving foot soldiers bouncing around the city like idiots.
View Quote

They didn't originally have any idea WHERE these guys were in order to "protect people who may be targets" as you suggest
That means that you have to go out and beat the brush looking for them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Reporting that Sweat has been shot near Constable, NY.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Would have helped if the nysp superintendent & his staff were from upstate, central or west ny.  Know the terrain and people.  Most of the NYSP business is really north of NYC.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They didn't originally have any idea WHERE these guys were in order to "protect people who may be targets" as you suggest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I care but how did they know WHERE to beat brush?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would have helped if the nysp superintendent & his staff were from upstate, central or west ny.  Know the terrain and people.  Most of the NYSP business is really north of NYC.
View Quote

Having lived through the hellmira prison escape and the bucky Phillips ordeal I can tell you most locals weren't favorable towards the police presence. Also most Nysp didn't seem to be favorable dealing with us hillbillies. I remember sitting at checkpoints and hearing people honking at cops and just down right pissed off. The longer these things go on, the less the people favor the police.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had no specific location til the first sighting days later
That's why they were sending officers so many places
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So by reasoning they could have just waited for them to mess up as suggested, as they didn't know WHERE to put protection or beat bushes?
Edit: I just ask because they were looking around my town because of a sighting. I'm hours away. Seems like a waste of resources. I agree with beating bushes close to prison as one would expect they were on foot and close by. But searching at the edge of nys seems foolish to me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So by reasoning they could have just waited for them to mess up as suggested, as they didn't know WHERE to put protection or beat bushes?
Edit: I just ask because they were looking around my town because of a sighting. I'm hours away. Seems like a waste of resources. I agree with beating bushes close to prison as one would expect they were on foot and close by. But searching at the edge of nys seems foolish to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had sightings too. Nature of the business
They can't afford to wait around for them to pop up out of whatever gopher hole they go down
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Article on the second escapee read:  "An officer spotted the suspect then fired as the suspect fled."

I guess we are all lucky the suspect was indeed the escaped prisoner and not some other person.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They can't afford to wait around for them to pop up out of whatever gopher hole they go down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree in the first 48 hours. After that I would assume one of two things. They are either long gone or on foot and stuck locally. Not bouncing around the state at all corners after two weeks. I guess we can just agree to disagree. Either way, it ended well with no civilians hurt because of nys inability to keep convicted murders behind bars.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
The only NYSP I ever see are Troop L patrolling the parkways here on Long Island.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sorry but these threads give me a headache.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The only NYSP I ever see are Troop L patrolling the parkways here on Long Island.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took the guys in green to lead the DOCS drive thru the woods. That's who flushed him out to the road.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? Were they out in the woods looking for them?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but these threads give me a headache.
View Quote

^^^^
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe I'm wrong, quite possible, but the present superintendent and his close advisors aren't familiar with the upstate region.  Maybe it would have helped if the superintendent was not a life long urban officer?  Up  here trooper baraks are pretty much in every town.  When I'm down in the city, hardly ever see a trooper, rarely ever.  Don't know about Long Island as I never venture farther than "da bx".   Whatever, they are both where they belong now so it has ended well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Article on the second escapee read:  "An officer spotted the suspect then fired as the suspect fled."

I guess we are all lucky the suspect was indeed the escaped prisoner and not some other person.  

View Quote

Seriously?????    

If you live or are in an area where you have been seeing hundreds of police with dogs, helicopters, ATV's, and just about anything else that would help looking for 2 escaped murderers, the story that's been on the news for over three weeks,  are you seriously going to break into a dead run from a police officer when he yells at you to stop?  That's Darwin level stupid if you do.

That'd easily top the Refuse to Comply with check point and the open carry guys who purposely cause an interaction.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Trooper neighbor just got home from up north.
He said they were told shoot to kill.
He also said Matt was drunk when they found him.
But I thought he was sick and that is why sweat left him.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#34]
So I understand a Custom and Border Patrol agent was the one that shot Matt on Friday. Has anyone heard mention of his name? I did hear he was from Vermont but
no name . I would think the media would have pushed for this information perhaps for his account of how this went dowm. Then again with cuomo and damico being the
information outlet I guess I understand  the silence.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Was Matt really shot 3 times in the head? I can t imagine a situation where three shots(to the head) would be required. What was keeping him in an upright position to allow for rounds #2 & 3? After the first round he wouldn't be under his own power... Id like to read that AAR.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Was Matt really shot 3 times in the head? I can t imagine a situation where three shots(to the head) would be required. What was keeping him in an upright position to allow for rounds #2 & 3? After the first round he wouldn't be under his own power... Id like to read that AAR.
View Quote

Practice, practice & practice my young padawan.  The force is strong with that CBP agent.  Or maybe he can curve his bullets
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Practice, practice & practice my young padawan.  The force is strong with that CBP agent.  Or maybe he can curve his bullets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn't risk him getting away and making the NYSP look dumb for another 2 weeks. It seems like the guy in PA all over again
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#38]
My God, another expert we missed who should've run things.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

He may very well have been lying prone and facing the Border guy.  Border guy tells him to freeze, or put his hands up, or whatever.  Matt either didn't comply or made a threatening gesture, like he was raising a gun.  Border agent opens fire, "boom boom boom."   Maybe unloads his mag not knowing for sure if any incapacitating hits were made (since he was already on the ground).  Not really that hard to comprehend such a scenario.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#40]
So how may times a week do you ask yourself why do you bother posting?  

I know I do and sometimes I type a post only to just hit the back button instead of submit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#41]
The waste of life, Sweat, is spilling his guts, talking a shit ton of jazz.  I wonder how much is actually true?

for the murder he committed, he deserved to be 6 feet under.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Without being snarky at all, can anyone in the know cite the law and explain the policy which allowed the Sgt. that shot the second escapee to do so even though he posed no immediate threat to life?  Not too long ago, a guy from Orange county was facing major charges for shooting a fugitive dead on his own property.  I'm curious as to how an order to "shoot to kill" can or is given as opposed to stopping the threat, which in this case there was none to life, only that he might elude capture once again.

Again, I'm trying to understand the way things actually went down, not start an us vs them debate, bash the Po-lice sidetrack, etc.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Without being snarky at all, can anyone in the know cite the law and explain the policy which allowed the Sgt. that shot the second escapee to do so even though he posed no immediate threat to life?  Not too long ago, a guy from Orange county was facing major charges for shooting a fugitive dead on his own property.  I'm curious as to how an order to "shoot to kill" can or is given as opposed to stopping the threat, which in this case there was none to life, only that he might elude capture once again.

Again, I'm trying to understand the way things actually went down, not start an us vs them debate, bash the Po-lice sidetrack, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From one of the other concurrent threads

Quoted:
For you out of state guys arguing over what you understand about NYS Penal Laws:

READ THE PARTS I PUT IN BOLD FOR YOU, THE REST IS IRRELEVANT IN THE SITUATION

Penal Law 35.30
1. A police officer or a peace officer, in the course of effecting or attempting to effect an arrest, or of preventing or attempting to prevent the escape from custody, of a person whom he or she reasonably believes to have committed an offense, may use physical force when and to the extent he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to effect the arrest, or to prevent the escape from custody, or in self-defense or to defend a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force; except that deadly physical force may be used for such purposes only when he or she reasonably believes that:

(a) The offense committed by such person was:

(i) a felony or an attempt to commit a felony involving the use or attempted use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(ii) kidnapping, arson, escape in the first degree, burglary in the first degree or any attempt to commit such a crime; or

Oh and I suppose I ought to give you another hint;  Sweat and Matt committed another felony of Escape in the First degree which they needed to be arrested for.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1763065_Breaking__second_escapee_shot_near_Canadian_border.html&page=3
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#44]
The law is written taking into account that a murderer escaping is indeed a high risk to the public because they pose a serious risk of murdering again to avoid recapture.   Desperate people do desperate things and a murderer has already shown an indifference to life.  

It's not like the blues brothers an order coming from some supervisor or elected official to shoot with extreme prejudice.  

If one of these fine fellows stopped and raised their hands in the air I doubt anyone would have shot them.  Ignore an order to stop, drop a weapon, or show your hands then the call is with the arresting officer.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1763065_Breaking__second_escapee_shot_near_Canadian_border.html&page=3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
For you out of state guys arguing over what you understand about NYS Penal Laws:

READ THE PARTS I PUT IN BOLD FOR YOU, THE REST IS IRRELEVANT IN THE SITUATION

Penal Law 35.30
1. A police officer or a peace officer, in the course of effecting or attempting to effect an arrest, or of preventing or attempting to prevent the escape from custody, of a person whom he or she reasonably believes to have committed an offense, may use physical force when and to the extent he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to effect the arrest, or to prevent the escape from custody, or in self-defense or to defend a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force; except that deadly physical force may be used for such purposes only when he or she reasonably believes that:

(a) The offense committed by such person was:

(i) a felony or an attempt to commit a felony involving the use or attempted use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(ii) kidnapping, arson, escape in the first degree, burglary in the first degree or any attempt to commit such a crime; or

Oh and I suppose I ought to give you another hint;  Sweat and Matt committed another felony of Escape in the First degree which they needed to be arrested for.

Actually ,  convicted and sentenced murderers are a threat to life !  And I'm pretty sure the other response clearly explained to you that the sgt was 100% correct in his actions as per nys law
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure it was up there with the part of 265 where you can shoot someone attempting to commit arson or rape, etc.  I just wasn't sure where and figured others might be able to shed some light quicker than I could find it and actually apply it to this situation.  It seems to me that the way the law is written, many of the railroad jobs of certain cops with a lack of melanin should never have even been brought to trial based on this(Baez case and many others).  I may not be the first person to say this, but if Sweat wasn't white, this might not have turned out so well for the Sgt who shot him in the back.  I can just see the headlines of WHITE COP SEEKING REVENGE FOR HIS COP BROTHER'S DEATH COWARDLY SHOOTS UNARMED BLACK MAN IN THE BACK.

Now mind you I don't have a problem with what the Trooper did.  I'm not sure I personally could shoot shoot anyone in the back for running away, but I wasn't there so I didn't have to make that choice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure it was up there with the part of 265 where you can shoot someone attempting to commit arson or rape, etc.  I just wasn't sure where and figured others might be able to shed some light quicker than I could find it and actually apply it to this situation.  It seems to me that the way the law is written, many of the railroad jobs of certain cops with a lack of melanin should never have even been brought to trial based on this(Baez case and many others).  I may not be the first person to say this, but if Sweat wasn't white, this might not have turned out so well for the Sgt who shot him in the back.  I can just see the headlines of WHITE COP SEEKING REVENGE FOR HIS COP BROTHER'S DEATH COWARDLY SHOOTS UNARMED BLACK MAN IN THE BACK.

Now mind you I don't have a problem with what the Trooper did.  I'm not sure I personally could shoot shoot anyone in the back for running away, but I wasn't there so I didn't have to make that choice.
View Quote

The last part would go against every part of the rules of engagement that was drilled into me. Different story in domestic situations I guess
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You may be right re the race thing but I tend to doubt it when they're convicted and put away already.  Then again they have school teachers having their children write letters of support to convicted cop killers.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top