Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 3:30:56 PM EDT
From one of the tents popping up.

Think I'll bring the boys this weekend and let them pickup some stuff.

Any recommendations? (Other than drive to PA & get the good stuff)

Or do you think it'll be like PA and the good stuff will be in the trunk?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What are we actually allowed to buy?  Just sparklers and Roman candles?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure.
Fountains I think?
The kids like sparklers, smoke bombs, & snaps.
If they don't have that stuff we'll go for a trip...

ETA:
New York law now permits the sale and use of ground-based and hand-held sparkling devices and novelties in certain counties

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The fuck is a "fountain" ???
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are on Long Island, forget it.  Neither county passed legislation to allow them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fuck is a "fountain" ???
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Faggotry in a tube... got it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are on Long Island, forget it.  Neither county passed legislation to allow them.
View Quote

Twenty-five+ years ago we use to head into NYC and buy tons of stuff in Chinatown.  

Now, not so much.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Twenty-five+ years ago we use to head into NYC and buy tons of stuff in Chinatown.  

Now, not so much.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, not so much.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now, not so much.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, not so much.  

Yeah, Giuliani shut that all down as part of the "broken windows" campaign.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
so fountains are just spark shooters?  not real roman candles?   If so pass pass pass.

BTW I saw them in the supermarkets here.   They're damned proud of their shitty lame packages.  $90 for fire crackers and fountains.   KMA.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I only sell snakes and sparklers because that's what I like.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Funny...we walked into a Fireworks Store in TN and the fine folks were so happy to hook us up!
The guys there asked what we'd like I said "what have you got that makes the biggest  boom?"  We bought well....very well.  
They had an "open box" policy.....$100. filled a shopping cart, and there wasn't a lame item in there! God, I love free States.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Funny...we walked into a Fireworks Store in TN and the fine folks were so happy to hook us up!
The guys there asked what we'd like I said "what have you got that makes the biggest  boom?"  We bought well....very well.  
They had an "open box" policy.....$100. filled a shopping cart, and there wasn't a lame item in there! God, I love free States.
View Quote

Is that a roundabout way of inviting me up for the 4th?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't overlook the fact that the fireworks legislation reversed a long-standing total prohibition/ban in NYS. That's no small thing. The current sales windows are very limited but I'd expect that to change in the future. It wouldn't surprise me to see other items added to the legal list, either. Baby steps. Also, Bloomberg strongly opposed this legislation and got Andy the puppet to veto it twice in past years. He wasn't able to get his wish in the end.

The stupidity of the Nassau and Suffolk County legislatures never ceases to amaze me. They'd rather let the total black market free-for-all there continue than increase their sales tax revenue and allow their residents a tiny bit of freedom. Ridiculous.

Oh well, it makes me smile to see fireworks displays in every box store I enter, even if they are just fountains.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring your scooter too!
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Mortar & Pestle
Just Say'n
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I have been to PA, TN and other states.
Have fond memories of warehouses in Chinatown with takeout menu style ordering!

I'm with P400 on this one. It's a step in the right direction!
Couple tents have sprung up around the area, we'll go scout it out this afternoon & report back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Paying $5 per 1/4 stick hurts the wallet... But, its better than nothing. I used to enjoy when Dad would bring home the det cord from work when I was a kid.  Good memories
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#19]
no.  too scary.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Paying $5 per 1/4 stick hurts the wallet... But, its better than nothing. I used to enjoy when Dad would bring home the det cord from work when I was a kid.  Good memories
View Quote

One of my all time favorites too!  

For the DYI interested in making your own: http://www.skylighter.com/skylighter_info_pages/articles.asp
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck New York I wouldn't give them a fucking dime. When I went to look for my new home in SC  I bought a ton of stuff. In about 8 months I will be living there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought the crappy sparkling ground fireworks because it is one more ounce of freedom that I didn't have last year in this god-forsaken place.

Maybe TNT and Phantom will make a bunch of money and bribe some politicians, I mean, donate to their campaigns.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought the crappy sparkling ground fireworks because it is one more ounce of freedom that I didn't have last year in this god-forsaken place.

Maybe TNT and Phantom will make a bunch of money and bribe some politicians, I mean, donate to their campaigns.
View Quote

No, you had it right the first time.  
Another cool thing about living in a small village is the two part-time Cops want to stop & watch as opposed to writing citations.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#25]
We picked up enough stuff the boys will be entertained for hours. Stuck with the smaller soda can size units for them, there were some pretty large displays on sale too. They've already had a couple tank battles, with smoke screens for effect!

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We picked up enough stuff the boys will be entertained for hours. Stuck with the smaller soda can size units for them, there were some pretty large displays on sale too. They've already had a couple tank battles, with smoke screens for effect!

View Quote

There's this old-timer at Knob Creek that's always got a drum full of at or near expired distress signals (Marine flares, smoke signals etc.) for something like $1.00 each so I bought some.....when you pull that ring, shits going to happen that WILL attract a LOT of attention. (AMHIK)  
Dispite their cost, I'll usually fire off a few 26.5mm signals just to make sure they still work.  
I haven't tried to re-load one, but I'm betting it can be done with a little enginuity.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
If you go across the border, try to park well away from the tents where they can't see you going back to NY plates. Try to avoid NYC bridges and tunnels too. I'm sure NYC still have the rat program and will have them waiting for you and confiscate you vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you go across the border, try to park well away from the tents where they can't see you going back to NY plates. Try to avoid NYC bridges and tunnels too. I'm sure NYC still have the rat program and will have them waiting for you and confiscate you vehicle.
View Quote

Park at a different shopping plaza, then take a taxi
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

About 15 years ago or so a friend of mines father was a deputy for Chautauqua County. He told me not to buy fireworks in PA too close to the 4th. They would send deputies down and they would sit there with PA State Police and radio in all the cars with NY plates stopping off at fireworks places down there. They'd pull the car over after crossing into NY and confiscate everything they just bought. I don't know if they still do it or not.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I only sell snakes and sparklers because that's what I like.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I really would love a gross of old school M-80s.  But since they are illegal thats not going to happen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Fireworks are not really my thing.  I'm an ass man.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fireworks are not really my thing.  I'm an ass man.
View Quote

Being or enjoying?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

About 15 years ago or so a friend of mines father was a deputy for Chautauqua County. He told me not to buy fireworks in PA too close to the 4th. They would send deputies down and they would sit there with PA State Police and radio in all the cars with NY plates stopping off at fireworks places down there. They'd pull the car over after crossing into NY and confiscate everything they just bought. I don't know if they still do it or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may still do this, but there was no sign of it, first thing this morning.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The funny part about going to PA for fireworks is that the PA residents can't buy them without a special permit, but out of staters can load up the car.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was warned of that too.

I just assumed it was mostly urban legend though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Going to PA today, going to be real hard not to stop on the way back.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Already have plenty, don't need any more.    I gave my tax money to a more deserving state.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The funny part about going to PA for fireworks is that the PA residents can't buy them without a special permit, but out of staters can load up the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A few years ago I had an offer from the brother of a colleague to come over to PA and we would go over to a store in his car with PA plates.  The deal was I would use my NY ID to help him get the stuff he could not get!  Sadly we never put the plan into action.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah they only watch near the 4th. Owner of one of the shops said they would sit across the street and wait for someone getting a lot. I wouldn't worry too much though.

Excaliburs are the best mortars. I like the 16k roll of firecrackers, Saturn Missile batteries and Crazy Exciting cakes. Those are the staples.

Anyone remember the Superman rockets?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#41]
If tannerite is still legal I may pick some of that up.  It makes for a loud firecracker.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, not so much.  

No shit... I left New Jersey some 20+ years ago for Virginia and I always went to Chinatown for my stuff back then, you name it they had it. If it didn't go BOOMand shake the dam house then it wasn't fireworks . You can't get anything worth a shit here in Virginia but from earlier posts it looks like Tennessee might be the place to start looking at.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We just had a female democrat introduce legislation in Ga making fireworks legal.....effectiuve July 1 2015......we fired off a box of Xcalibur mortar shells at the shop for lunch....just for the noise......DAMN they are loud......almost sound like a 60mm mortar firing
View Quote

Some whiny-ass would call the Cops in hysterics.

Southern States:  

New York State:  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I think risking blowing off your fingers is a rite of passage for any red blooded American male. We used to go to Florida every year when I was kid and we would always stop at South of the Border and LOAD UP on fireworks. Hell, we would have garbage bags full of M80's, blockbusters, pineapples, you name it. We'd actually get bored after a while and find new and inventive ways of blowing up shit........we had so much stuff that in my neighborhood it was a year round sort of thing.

Now? Sparklers? Fountains?

Based on my neighborhood this weekend however, it seems that freedom loving Americans haven't gone the way of the Dodo bird just yet

Oh, and ETA: when I was a kid the cops in my neighborhood ALWAYS had the best fireworks. Weird, huh?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#46]
41magluva is king of the fireworks
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think risking blowing off your fingers is a rite of passage for any red blooded American male. We used to go to Florida every year when I was kid and we would always stop at South of the Border and LOAD UP on fireworks. Hell, we would have garbage bags full of M80's, blockbusters, pineapples, you name it. We'd actually get bored after a while and find new and inventive ways of blowing up shit........we had so much stuff that in my neighborhood it was a year round sort of thing.

Based on my neighborhood this weekend however, it seems that freedom loving Americans haven't gone the way of the Dodo bird just yet

Oh, and ETA: when I was a kid the cops in my neighborhood ALWAYS had the best fireworks. Weird, huh?
View Quote

I noticed that also.  My area was lighting up a lot more that previous years.  Some pretty big stuff.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I noticed that also.  My area was lighting up a lot more that previous years.  Some pretty big stuff.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same observation here too.  Previous years were tame by comparison.  There were some expensive displays being shot off from peoples backyards around here.  Unfortunately some numb nuts decided that 12:30am would be a good time to start lighting off a few more

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top