Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 12:48:16 PM EDT
Eff this shithole....

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/ag-3-suffolk-residents-arrested-in-operation-ghostbusters-probe-charged-with-illegally-trafficking-untraceable-guns-1.10582424

AG: 3 Suffolk residents arrested in 'Operation Ghostbusters' probe, charged with illegally trafficking untraceable guns

Three Suffolk County residents are facing charges they illegally assembled and sold untraceable military-grade assault weapons, state Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman said.
Thomas Weber, 31, of Lindenhurst, Antonio Himonitis, 43, and Diana Collins, 32, both of Holtsville, were arrested Thursday night on charges that they fabricated and sold the untraceable weapons -- also known as "ghost guns" -- in both Nassau and Suffolk counties, according to the attorney general's office.
The investigation, called "Operation Ghostbusters," was led by the attorney general's Organized Crime Task Force and New York State Police in response to what Schneiderman called a growing trend.
"These guns were not meant for hunting. These guns were meant for hunting people," State Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico said Friday at a news conference in Manhattan.
The arrests mark the first time a state law enforcement agency has charged individuals with the assembly and selling of ghost guns, according to a statement by Schneiderman's office.
"Ghost guns are the next frontier of illegal firearm trafficking," Schneiderman said. "The allegations against these defendants show just how easy it is for criminals to make completely untraceable, military-grade firearms."
Weber, Himonitis and Collins are each charged with first- and third-degree criminal sale of a firearm and fourth-degree conspiracy.
Himonitis and Collins are also charged with endangering the welfare of a child because, authorities said, a child was home while the couple assembled the assault weapons. If convicted, Weber, Collins and Himonitis each face up to 25 years in prison.
According to the criminal complaint, Himonitis and Collins ordered gun parts online from different manufacturers nationwide and assembled them into at least a dozen fully functional weapons.
They then sold the finished weapons to undercover investigators posing as gun-trafficking gang members, the complaint said.
One of the undercover investigators met in April with Weber at Nassau County jail where the Lindenhurst man was serving time. Weber told the investigator that Himonitis was an Army Ranger veteran with a connection in Fort Bragg, Texas, who had access to AR-10 machine guns at a cost of $5,000 each.
Himonitis, who investigators later learned was actually a Navy deserter who never deployed and had less than a year of service time, was also an inmate in the jail at the time, the complaint said.
A day after the meeting with Weber, investigators recorded a jailhouse phone conversation between Himonitis and Collins. In the phone call Himonitis instructed Collins to search the Internet and look for parts so he could assemble the weapons for the undercover investigator after his release set for May 6, according to the complaint.
On that day, an undercover investigator met with Himonitis at a Uniondale hotel to discuss the defendant's method for assembling firearms with lower receivers, the complaint said.
Ghost guns are assembled using a firearm's key component -- the lower receiver, which is responsible for the actual "firing" of the bullet. Composed of either metal or plastic, the lower receiver is considered a firearm and is subject to firearm regulations under federal law. An incomplete lower receiver -- lacking certain holes, slots, or cavities -- is not considered a firearm, according to Schneiderman's office.
The defendants allegedly exploited this "unfinished receiver" loophole to purchase the receivers without undergoing a background check, officials said. After getting the unfinished lower receivers, the defendants then modified them into fully functional and illegal gun receivers.
UPS records from May and June 2015 showed that 19 packages from various gun manufacturers nationwide containing firearm parts were allegedly delivered to Himonitis' and Collins' home.
After turning the parts into functioning assault weapons, Himonitis sold seven of them to an undercover officer on May 20 for $12,000 cash and an agreement he'd get an additional $14,600 in installments, officials said. Once in their possession, investigators found no serial numbers on the fully operational weapons, rendering them untraceable.
Over a period of several weeks, undercover investigators purchased 12 working assault weapons from Himonitis at a Nassau County motel, authorities said.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
MILITARY GRADE!!!!!  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel much safer. FUES!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Well this is NOT a New York State issue per se.  Manufacturing a gun without a serial number for your own use is perfectly legal assuming you meet the configuration requirements of the state.  Making a lower and then selling it to someone else is of course "manufacturing" and is illegal without an ATF license and other required state licenses and tax id numbers.  I am sure ATF will be talking to them.  I recall legal discussions that making the lower yourself and having it anodized by someone else could run afoul of the federal law just like someone helping you operate the CNC machinery.

I think the state charges are going to be the least of their problems at this point.  They may very well get to spend time at "Club Fed".

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well this is NOT a New York State issue per se.  Manufacturing a gun without a serial number for your own use is perfectly legal assuming you meet the configuration requirements of the state.  Making a lower and then selling it to someone else is of course "manufacturing" and is illegal without an ATF license and other required state licenses and tax id numbers.  I am sure ATF will be talking to them.  I recall legal discussions that making the lower yourself and having it anodized by someone else could run afoul of the federal law just like someone helping you operate the CNC machinery.

I think the state charges are going to be the least of their problems at this point.  They may very well get to spend time at "Club Fed".

View Quote

Exactly making a firearm and distributing, esp for a jail pal felon is already a crime.  So I am at a loss as to what new laws are needed?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly making a firearm and distributing, esp for a jail pal felon is already a crime.  So I am at a loss as to what new laws are needed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What concerns me the most is that the article says they are "illegal lower recivers"

They are most definitely legal... So either it's sensationalist journalism or that's the actual language the nysp is using. They are all legal until sold ....
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]

""These guns were not meant for hunting. These guns were meant for hunting peopletyrants," State Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico said Friday at a news conference in Manhattan. "

Hey Joe, you worried about something?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The concern is the state overstepping their boundaries and creating a "NYS ATF". What the feds say we can have, NYS will say no. With the way cumhole is moving like the BS wanting to form his own weather center, anything can happen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Endangering the welfare of a child! Holy shit
View Quote

Well it IS typical for them to throw as much shit against the wall as possible, then see what sticks.
As always there's bound to be more to the story; point of the News story is to strike fear into those who would contemplate building their own gun legally....they infer that ordering parts and grinding out your own receiver is illegal, immoral, and likely to get you into trouble.
They make the point of being "untraceable" well maybe so, but I'm more worried about who has it and what they were doing with it more so than who filled out a 4473 the first time the lower was sold.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Hunting.

I just finally want someone to say it to these assholes face, the second amendment wasn't about hunting. It wasn't about "sporting". It wasn't about invading armies. It was about being able to kill assholes like you if need be. Period. Sorry if you don't like that, but those are the facts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hunting.

I just finally want someone to say it to these assholes face, the second amendment wasn't about hunting. It wasn't about "sporting". It wasn't about invading armies. It was about being able to kill assholes like you if need be. Period. Sorry if you don't like that, but those are the facts.
View Quote

Change the name, change the definition, change peoples thoughts.
The idea of hunting or killing men is reprehensible, yet thousands of years of experience dictates that men, for a variety of reasons why must be killed.
the late George Carlin had a skit that in its irony made complete sense; short of it by changing "Shell Shock" to PTSD lessened the impact of the word, made it easier to accept, less serious and threatening, but in the end it was still shell-shock and it really fucked people up.
The second isn't about hunting; its about a damn serious insurance for the People of this Country against tyranny. Seldom is it invoked, but when it is its serious business, but those in positions of Leadership cannot let that knowledge by known to the general populace lest they get ideas of Freedom. By equating gun ownership to hunting rights it changes the paradigm making "reasonable concessions seemingly more palatable.....still tastes like a shit sandwich to me.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The stupid, it burns....

Lets look at this...

"These guns were not meant for hunting. These guns were meant for hunting people," State Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico said Friday at a news conference in Manhattan.

Really? This is the best we can come up with for Superintendant of NYSP...this guy doesn't have the mental capacity or deductive reasoning ability of a 5 year old...I am surprised he doesn't spend most of the time drooling on himself and making monkey chatter....does anyone know his hat size, 'cause he must be a pinhead...I mean literally, measure the circumference of the top of his head, I bet it is much smaller than average...

They aren't meant for hunting....they are meant for hunting....

And, for fucks sake, don't these idiots fact check their shit???? " Fort Bragg, Texas"

And where do these guys get these terms...."Ghost guns are the next frontier of illegal firearm trafficking," Schneiderman said. "The allegations against these defendants show just how easy it is for criminals to make completely untraceable, military-grade firearms."

Some moron liberal pol in California comes up with it, and now its official???
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep, all those military grade AR10 machine guns the Army uses at Fort Bragg Texas , no wonder they're untraceable.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#16]
2 shitbirds  (who met in prison) decide to build guns to sell to undercovers posing as gun trafficking gang members......

Other than the child endangerment charge, which is complete bullshit, I don't see any problems here
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#17]
This morning's print edition of Newsday has the correct location: Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

If they really were genuine Armalite AR-10's, not the weapons being passed off now as "AR-10's" which are basically 7.62mm AR-15's, then they are quite old and museum pieces:

I visited the firearms museum at the old Springfield Armory Historic Site back in 1996 (side trip from visiting my old college a few miles away) and they have one of the original prototype Armalite AR-15's on display (something like s/n 00000006) that looks a lot like the original AR-10 above.  In fact, after seeing it, I understood why it was derided as a "toy" and "space gun".  It has shiny Bakelite furniture, a flimsy barrel and definitely did not look as sturdy as what ultimately became the AR-15 and M-16A1.

Found this picture of an Armalite AR-15 which looks like the one in Springfield, MA.  In person, it really does look like a toy.  Only problem with this model is it does not have the waffle pattern magazine:

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The stupid, it burns....

Lets look at this...

Really? This is the best we can come up with for Superintendant of NYSP...this guy doesn't have the mental capacity or deductive reasoning ability of a 5 year old...I am surprised he doesn't spend most of the time drooling on himself and making monkey chatter....does anyone know his hat size, 'cause he must be a pinhead...I mean literally, measure the circumference of the top of his head, I bet it is much smaller than average...

They aren't meant for hunting....they are meant for hunting....

And, for fucks sake, don't these idiots fact check their shit???? " Fort Bragg, Texas"

And where do these guys get these terms...."Ghost guns are the next frontier of illegal firearm trafficking," Schneiderman said. "The allegations against these defendants show just how easy it is for criminals to make completely untraceable, military-grade firearms."

Some moron liberal pol in California comes up with it, and now its official???
View Quote

He owned an AR and an AK up until just prior to the SafeAct was announced.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Slimer is pissed that his species is being used in this.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Well since the serial numbered reciever/frame IS THE GUN, one that never had a serial number really couldn't be a gun.
This is just the lead-up/justification to announce legislation banning 80% receivers, DIY, parts kits, et.al. Couple shit-birds figured out how to make a desireable rifle for those who probably couldn't get one otherwise....no different than selling illegal Drugs.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#21]
This
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Can't stop the signal.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Can't stop the signal.

View Quote

I'm thinking about buying a used 3 axis CNC mill. Any investors?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Wonder if the perps drilled the 3rd hole for the happy switch in the lower?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top