Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2015 9:53:50 PM EDT
Any do it by mail?

If not, I'm looking for the closest friendly PA sheriff to the Capitol Region.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Centre county, Sheriff  Denny Nau
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you know if they are still doing them by mail, or if you have to walk in?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
no more PA permits by mail at all.. Center county is most friendly, Lackawanna county also issues if you are coming out of NY it is about an hour closer
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to walk in, the whole process took about 20 minutes, Sheriff Nau is retiring at the end of this year
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You have to walk in, the whole process took about 20 minutes, Sheriff Nau is retiring at the end of this year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap, it's a 13 hour round trip
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
make a day of it stay overnight.. feel the freedom.. You will not want to go back to NY. I got the bug to move to PA. My wife and I are moving in march now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no more PA permits by mail at all.. Center county is most friendly, Lackawanna county also issues if you are coming out of NY it is about an hour closer
View Quote

Much closer, thank you
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
make a day of it stay overnight.. feel the freedom.. You will not want to go back to NY. I got the bug to move to PA. My wife and I are moving in march now.
View Quote

Not an option, I only have Mondays off, can't stay over night
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lately Lackawanna county has been rejecting NY permits that don't say carry on them
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lately Lackawanna county has been rejecting NY permits that don't say carry on them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is unrestricted and is stamped such. I'll make sure to call first. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

I'm in the same boat for a July renewal.  When I called Centre, the officer told me to call them to cancel my current PA non-res and then come in to apply for a new one. *shrug*
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I keep putting this off, do you just need a ny permit? Do you need an nra class?
View Quote

Good question on the class, I'd hate to get down there and be told I need a cert that I don't have with me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]
All you need is a copy of your New York permit to get the pa non res.
As mentioned some counties do not care if the permit is marked target and hunting etc or not and others do.
I did it by mail of two renewal periods in the past getting my most recent one a month prior to the must be done in person change.
It expires in two months and will renew in Erie as we drive through on a planned trip.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I keep putting this off, do you just need a ny permit? Do you need an nra class?
View Quote

No NRA cert is needed two people for references.  It's front and back form that's it.

I know berks county will issue but you have to go back down to pick it up
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I've heard in some counties you walk out with it that day, not the same everywhere?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my from lackawanna county last july or so... no NRA class needed.. just a permit that doesnt have any restrictions on it (lackawanna county wont issue non resident if you have restrictions)... fill out a form 20 minutes later get your photo taken, 3 minutes later walk out with your new permit... easy peasy.... the parking in scranton sucks though so just be aware of that..
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've heard in some counties you walk out with it that day, not the same everywhere?
View Quote

Lackawana County I walked out in 20 minutes with mine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My permit says "target" in small print in the front, and states "authorized to possess and carry the following pistols" on the back. Will that fly?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to carry in PA, why not just get a NH permit? They do it by mail, and PA honors NH non-resident permits.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you want to carry in PA, why not just get a NH permit? They do it by mail, and PA honors NH non-resident permits.
View Quote

Get Both?

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My permit says "target" in small print in the front, and states "authorized to possess and carry the following pistols" on the back. Will that fly?
View Quote

No go in Lackawanna county.

But gtg in centre county
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you, that sounds much easier!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#24]
From Rochester, a few of us went here:

Potter County Courthouse
One East Second Street, Room 22
Coudersport PA 16915

Once there, it only took 10 minutes to get each permit.

They did require that your NY permit did not list any restrictions though.

Decent pizza place across the street.  Also walked through a couple of antique stores.

Very nice people.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I filled out the paperwork for NH, need to mail it in. $100 for four years. Ouch!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I filled out the paperwork for NH, need to mail it in. $100 for four years. Ouch!
View Quote

I think PA is 25 if i remember correctly for 5 years?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but a lost day traveling there and back, and probably $50 in gas... So what am I really "saving"
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Hiram, I'm a little late to the game, but if you decide to get a PA non res permit
permit try McKean county. They had my wife and I in and out in 20 minutes with cards in hand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#29]
taste of freedom?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hiram, I'm a little late to the game, but if you decide to get a PA non res permit
permit try McKean county. They had my wife and I in and out in 20 minutes with cards in hand.
View Quote

Does the permit have to be "unrestricted" there?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I got mine in McKean Co.  A short 20 min ride.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't answer that since both of ours were full carry without restrictions, sorry.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah but a lost day traveling there and back, and probably $50 in gas... So what am I really "saving"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The State mandated fee for a license to carry firearms is $20. Accepted forms of payment are cash, check or money order

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I got mine at Wayne County in 2014. They require an unrestricted licence and it's a two trip deal.

First trip: Go down with filled out application from online and 25 bucks. Submit application, show NYS CHL, get pictures taken, pick up 3(IIRC) reference forms.

Second trip: Pick up non-res license.

Total time in the building 15 mins. Super helpful and friendly people.

Only thing that sucks is the drive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I was traveling around the area and renewed in Lancaster today.  About 20 minutes and no fuss.

Heads up: Chester county doesn't process non-res and Delaware is a 3 week process requiring a second visit to pick up the permit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]
NH cashed my check for a non-resident permit. Hope to have it soon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Called Lacawana today, got a machine.  Has anyone had any recent experience with them?  I'm planning on taking a ride down there Wednesday.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#39]
+87 for Denny Nau.  Nice guy to talk to, too.  He had cool stories about blowing shit up when he was a kid.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Update:  

Went to The Lacawana Sheriffs office today.  The whole process took about 30 mins but didn't walk out with my permit.  Printer was broken so they will be mailing it to my home.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#41]
My NH permit arrived today. Just a hair over two weeks from when I mailed it in. Good through March 2020, so almost five years, roughly $20 per year. No need to drive to PA, take a day off from work, and be printed and photographed. Was worth the extra $75 to me to do it by mail.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Good to hear. I was going to do it but they don't have reciprocity with VA which is what I'm after. I got the paperwork from VA for their non res, but they want prints and I just don't want to bother dealing with them up here to get it done.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good to hear. I was going to do it but they don't have reciprocity with VA which is what I'm after. I got the paperwork from VA for their non res, but they want prints and I just don't want to bother dealing with them up here to get it done.
View Quote

I'm going to grab Utah to cover VA. Prints are a pain, and I just did them to be added to an FFL. Luckily the police chief likes me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm going to grab Utah to cover VA. Prints are a pain, and I just did them to be added to an FFL. Luckily the police chief likes me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any one try AZ?  Looks like NH is the easiest, even though it costs a bit more, requires less hoops.  I don't mind supporting .gov when it holds up their end of the bargain.

I was hoping to find one that crossed over to CO but it seems they don't accept non res from any state.  Though open carry without a permit seems to be legal except Denver.  Is that true for a out of state resident?  

AZ- $60 for 5 years.
UT- $51 for 5 years.
neither get you PA.

VA- $100 for 5 years but requires prints etc. NO PA.

Prints are not huge deal but I would want the most bang for your buck not requiring a road trip...  Which PA now requires.

All things considered it looks like NH might just be the easiest, and even though not the cheapest its worth the coin...  I am thinking AZ and NH might be the way to go for NY.

I think I will start with NH...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top